Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

.....Today

bookmarksite_digg.gif bookmarksite_delicious.gif bookmarksite_stumbleupon.gif bookmarksite_google.gif

Posted Today at 10:07 AM by questions09

Tags

Let me start by saying I love this site. So many inspirational, motivating stories, nice people and a place to share/say anything. Well, I haven't had the band yet- I am desperately hoping for Sept. or Oct.- but I am freaking out this weekend. I am working on my goals my nutritionist and I set up for the month of June and I am doing well with the no soda thing.....but the chewing/waiting one minute between bites...not doing so well. I also question myself (I have read other posts of people who have felt this way too.) and my ability to "get it done" this time. I have spent most of my adult life battling my weight, trying, succeeding and then ultimately gaining weight back on every possible diet. Im scared, but so ready for a change. Ugh...Im just really complaining today!! :tongue_smilie: Good luck to everyone and thanks for the forum for support

The most important thing I have learned about the lapband is to stay positive. Not everyday is sunshine, and happiness, in fact to be honest a lot of days just suck. However I love my band, I love what it has given me , I love feeling better physically, emotionally, everything. So my word of advice is don't sweat it , its a work in progress. Take it day by day, hour by hour if you have to, and enjoy the start of a happier and healthier you! I hope you get your date soon, and succeed in all your goals. Good luck!

I also am not banded yet, but just wanted to add my thoughts. The only thing I am trying to do to get used to my new life after band is trying to not drink when eating (thats hard!), and trying to eat Protein first and making healthier eating choices. Oh, and those darn Protein shakes...

I know that I will struggle with my eating choices and diet habits, even after getting the band. And while I know I have to eat healthier and all that, I also know that if I slip and make a mistake, it will be a much smaller mistake then before the band. I know that the struggle with the band is nothing compared to struggling my whole life with my weight.... This will be easier than the hell I have been living in...

I'm certainly no "band professional" but I can say with 100% honesty that practicing: chewing well, not drinking while eating, no carbonation, no straws, no this/that/the other...would have done me absolutely ZERO good. Truly. I have restriction now; I chew well because things do not get stuck when I do. I don't drink while I'm eating because it hurts if I do. Ditto on carbonation. The band, once restricted, changed EVERYTHING for me. I didn't practice good Portion Control preband, either. I snacked. (I don't now; I honestly forget about snacking. As long as I pick the correct filling foods, I am literally FREE of even thinking about food for HOURS.)

SO...while I don't know, nor am I saying, that my experience will be yours, I do want to stress that .... Guess what? Not being able to do all that without the band? Means zippo. What, to me, is more pertinent, is for you to look inside and ask yourself: Do I mind not drinking while I'm eating? Would I like a life without diet coke/beer/soda/whatever? Would I mind being full on about 1/2 to 1 cup of food? Would I mind not snacking?

The answers to these questions are not obvious. If you can answer them and feel the band is right for you, then commit to it. It is NOT like any diet you have ever been on, nor like any diet drug. If you don't work with it, it will fight you. BUT...if you use it, work it, it will yield wonderful benefits. All the rest of that is just window dressing, IMHO. I learned NOT to drink with meals the first time I had good restriction and "forgot". 15 minutes later after I PB"d my "drink" and a portion of my meal back up I thought "Well, learning has occurred."

Hang in there, make sure you're on board with the changes, and prepare to roll with them when they happen. You can "practice" all you want, but that's not going to tell you how you'll do with the band. You can find that info within yourself.

Thank you soooo much!!! That really helped me put it into perspective. I know that I truly want this as a life change and am ready for it. I am so goal oriented that I think I let that get me down verses looking at the bigger picture and that when I get banded.....if I eat fast there with be definite consequences! I have read many of your posts and you always have great advice and words of wisdom. It is truly appreciated!!!!!! Im going to just move onward, upward and towards that goal of getting the band, and press on from there.

Thanks again for everyone's encouraging words and support.:bored:

:bored:

I also am not banded yet, but just wanted to add my thoughts. The only thing I am trying to do to get used to my new life after band is trying to not drink when eating (thats hard!), and trying to eat Protein first and making healthier eating choices. Oh, and those darn Protein shakes...

I know that I will struggle with my eating choices and diet habits, even after getting the band. And while I know I have to eat healthier and all that, I also know that if I slip and make a mistake, it will be a much smaller mistake then before the band. I know that the struggle with the band is nothing compared to struggling my whole life with my weight.... This will be easier than the hell I have been living in...

:thumbup:Hello, I thought the same thing as you and let me tell you its a whole different journey once your banded you are really cautious about what you eat and what you do. and how much you eat and for those Protein Shakes try and do the Optifast that was what i was on and they are great you drink one every 3 hrs and its not so bad i lost 9lbs during the week before my surgery and its been 3weeks of my surgery and i lost 16 lbs. I weight in 2 days and i have been upping my exercise and i can really tell a difference , just make it thru your 6months , mine was 10 months before i had my surgery and i was really looking forward to it.

your friend ucdep99:thumbup:

Glad to help! There are a bunch of us "type A" types who want to "master" everything etc...but it's a process. I KNOW you'll do marvelously!