Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wondering If The Lap Band Is The Right Surgery For Me!

I just had a long conversation with my niece last night (she was banded last October). She has lost 70 pounds already (between pre-op diet and band).

I am in the process of getting the band and am using her surgeon (didn't know it was her surgeon until last night!)

I thought about the other options, but for me, the idea of permanently altering an organ, and then the risks of malabsorbtion, and other issues, and the fact that the lap band is completely reversible tipped me to the band.

The fact that it can be "adjusted" throughout the course of my weight loss is a great plus, too.

If I lose 30 pounds, or 70 or 120, it will still be better than what I weigh today, so you have to come to some line in the sand for yourself.

You have to decide for yourself what the "deal breakers" are.

Best of luck to you!

Wow congratulations to your niece!

I have to remind myself that if I do get the sleeve there is no going back! I think that scares my family more than it does me!

I wish you all best with your surgery! :rolleyes:

I had the band 5 1/2 years ago, lost 85 lbs, my band slipped and I had it redone 18 mths out 2nd band was not a succes. I really didnt loose too much more. I had fills then unfills, then fills. I stopped loosing weight and really had to rely on ME now, which I did. I walked 2 miles at least 3 times a week, ate semi- right. I pushed the envelope sometimes but not most of the time. I went back for a fill because no weight loss, even a few gained. So I thought maybe I need a fill, Guess what the band had slipped again. I am not telling you this do sway you from the band...The band is GREAT - remember I lost 85 lbs, However I think it just was not enough for me. 5 1/2 years ago..it was the ONLY choice for me, RYN was a dirty word.....I would have never considered something that invasive. Now since my band has slipped that is exactly what My Dr will be doing - a revision to either the RYN or the Sleeve. Would I have the band again, you betcha!! For me at the time it was the best choice. Do your homework, research and read about all of the WLS options. Read how each one is performed, what the risks are, what the % of weight loss is, then YOU decide, it is your body and you know it best. Best of luck to you!

I had the band 5 1/2 years ago, lost 85 lbs, my band slipped and I had it redone 18 mths out 2nd band was not a succes. I really didnt loose too much more. I had fills then unfills, then fills. I stopped loosing weight and really had to rely on ME now, which I did. I walked 2 miles at least 3 times a week, ate semi- right. I pushed the envelope sometimes but not most of the time. I went back for a fill because no weight loss, even a few gained. So I thought maybe I need a fill, Guess what the band had slipped again. I am not telling you this do sway you from the band...The band is GREAT - remember I lost 85 lbs, However I think it just was not enough for me. 5 1/2 years ago..it was the ONLY choice for me, RYN was a dirty word.....I would have never considered something that invasive. Now since my band has slipped that is exactly what My Dr will be doing - a revision to either the RYN or the Sleeve. Would I have the band again, you betcha!! For me at the time it was the best choice. Do your homework, research and read about all of the WLS options. Read how each one is performed, what the risks are, what the % of weight loss is, then YOU decide, it is your body and you know it best. Best of luck to you!

Thanks so much for the reply! Congratulations on your weight loss, that's wonderful! I'm really sorry that you have had so much trouble with the band. I wish you the best of luck with the sleeve or the other operation! :bored:

strawberry,

Before you decide on any kind of weight lost surgery you have to really dig deep and ask yourself how bad do you want it. I say that because it is a life long comitment. The lap band takes patience and time to work for you and for everyone the experience is different. I began my journey Jan 7th of '09 at 292 and today I am between 234-238. I have lost over 50lbs in six months. The lap band is a tool that if used well will work for you. You are already taking the first steps and that is to research what is right for you. I like the band because for me I learned how to stop obsessing over food. The band does help me stay in control. In the beginning I did not have restriction and had to stick to my diet. Since Jan, I have been lossing about 8 lbs a month. My Dr. says that I am loosing at a very good rate. There are times that I do get fustrated with the band because you have to eat slow and chew well. The best part is not having to feel like I'm on a diet and unable to eat anything. I eat very small portions of the foods that I enjoy. I also make much better food choices but I am not on any type of diet.