Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feedback on Curves Fitness Centers??

I have been going to Curves, I like it alot. Any feedback ? I'm wondering will I want to switch up in October (renewl) and join a "real" gym?? What do you do after your goal is reached for fitness to "maintain" I really love working out now and I actually enjoy running even a some weight training.

To be honest, I did Curves for about three months and left and joined a regular gym. I just didn't feel like I was getting anything out of the workouts at Curves. I never broke a sweat or anything. I am much happier at Anytime Fitness.

I have been doing Curves for 2 weeks and go at least 4 times a week. I TOTALLY break a sweat but am also totally out of shape- So far I like it but do see the potential for getting bored. :biggrin: I am going to stick it out for my year because it is convenient and they are very supportive and encouraging...

I have had amazing success with the Curves workouts! I joined last November. When i was measured there last month i had lost 15 or 17 total inches since joining (sorry i forget the exact measure). Everyone is super friendly and never have i felt self conscience. Granted it may not be hard-core enough for some but it does give you a work out.

I joined Curves a few years ago, and it wasn't my favorite. My husband and I just joined at Anytime Fitness and so far, we both love it! :biggrin:

I LOVE Curves! I've been going since last October, and I go Monday-Friday. My club has the CurvesSmart system, which is like an electronic personal trainer on each machine. It coaches you on each machine to make sure you are working at the proper level in range of motion, repetitions, and exertion. I definitely work up a good sweat, have my heart rate in the fat-burning zone, and burn between 400-500 calories at each 30 minute workout.

Even without the CurvesSmart system, the way to get the most out of the machines is to work hard enough in the 30 seconds you are on each machine so that the last few reps are hard to finish. You want to work that particular muscle group to fatigue. If it is time to move to the next station, but you feel like you could do another 30 seconds on the machine, you aren't working hard enough.

I probably wouldn't go to a regular health club as consistently as I go to Curves. I really recommend it!

I went to Curves for about two years and loved it. You have to work to build a sweat as you get fitter though. I just joined a "regular" gym and am working out harder now. I think Curves is a great place to start! My club was super friendly and also had these "personal trainer" type trackers on each machine that prodded you to work out harder. Good luck deciding!

I just got my 1 month measurements last night and lost 11.5 inches!!!!!!!!!!!! I was totally stoked!

I also started the Curves Smart and it kicked my butt but I am looking forward to the more challenging work out...

I haven't heard of "Curves Smart", what is it?

Curves - The Workout - Curves Smart

Its made a huge difference in my workouts. You can't skim through like you could before and lie to yourself that you were really working out hard. You have to push yourself to get the green lights and then its constantly adjusting so the workout remains challenging.

with the curves smart program you are tested by one of the staff on each machine to check and moniter your endurance and strength and range of motion. the machines then light up red, yellow or green to let you know how you are doing based on how you tested. the program keeps track of how you are doing and lets you know how you need to excel and tracks your progress. it also tells you how many calories you burn each work out and the average for every 10 sessions.

it is awesome because it also raises you at various stage from beginner to excellent as needed.

i;m not an expert but i think i explained it right...

I think its a wonderful environment for people who dont like the gym and I think its a great start for unfit people, and certainly a good exercise program to keep you healthy, help you lose weight and stay out of the cardiac ward.

If you want some serious results from your exercise in terms of really excellent strength and fitness, you're better off in a mainstream gym. Its perfect for women like my mum, who's 67, is pretty darn fit and active, likes to keep in shape and keep her figure but doesnt want to run marathons, build huge biceps or get to 10% body fat.

For someone like me, who runs regularly, wants to stay really fit and in GREAT shape, well, I do a Curves workout and its merely what I'd call a warm up. They say you cant get too fit for it, you jsut go faster and harder. Well, that's not true. Those hydraulic machines have a return phase that you must wait for, there is only so fast you can push them before you start to lose form and not do the exercise properly and many people get too fit for that.

My main beef with them is that claim (that you cant get too fit) and their outdated exercise information. I got a job with them which in all conscience I couldnt take because their information is SO out of date (like the fat burning heart rate rubbish) and their training for their instructors really so poor (they know the machines, but know zilch about human anatomy and what you're really doing) that I just couldnt shut my mouth about how wrong they were, lol. Being a franchise, you have to present it how they want you to and I wouldnt have been able to do it.

But that said - those are negative things - but basically, its good circuit exercise for the more moderately fit/overweight/older people that will challenge them and not everyone wants to be a super athelete so its all many people will ever need. Its fantastic for that - and if you supplement it with some cardio, even better. In and of itself, 3 times a week for 30 minutes really wouldnt be optimal for weight loss, but add a couple of hour long power walks and you'd be on a great thing!

I'd just say that if you're comfortable pushing harder, and you find your heart rate is above their ridiculous range, then lie. Dont let them tell you you're not burning fat by working that hard. the harder you work the better your results will be and anyone that tells you any different is misinformed.

Edited by Jachut

Thanks for the information on Curves. I think it's a great place to start for a person like me 55+.

The primary problem with it is that rather than form, speed is emphasized. (You have to move faster to increase resistance.) This ups the risk of injury tremendously. One of the arm machines has become notorious among orthopedic surgeons now grown accustomed to Curves injuries. Unfortunately, even if the staff were knowledgeable about correct form, the nature of the hydraulic beast makes injury more likely.

It's fine for beginners or those who are returning to exercise. But for safety's sake, hydraulic machines should be replaced by more controlled resistance training as fitness improves, IMO.

All that said, I cancelled my membership and joined the YMCA for another reason, before I became too fit for the Curves approach. Not becauce the Y is less expensive and has better equipment and better trained staff--though it does--but because I can't, in good conscience, give money to a business whose founder finances domestic terrorism by supporting some of the most violent anti-abortion groups in the country. I don't choose to give him any of my money to fund blowing up clinics or assassinating womens' health physicians.