Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Your Goal Weight... How is it calculated?

Hi all!

I have chatted with a few people and attended a meeting about the band. From what I have heard those places it sounded like the general rule was that one's "goal weight" was 80% of the weight that they should lose. So, if one weighs 200lbs and should weigh 150lbs, their goal weight would be 160lbs.

I have noticed on this board, though, that people's goals seem low sometimes. Did you all use this method for ideal weight or some other?

Thanks, in advance!

Shannon

Nobody ever calculated mine like that, or calculated it at all. I was asked by the nutritionist that I had to see for one appointment what I'd like to be and I said 70kg. She kind of laughed and said that's a bit ambitious.

As it happens 70kg is right smack in the middle of my healthy weight range (63-79). She was assuming everyone loses about 60 to 80%, which is realistic to assume. But the thing is with that statistic, its almost ENTIRELY in your control whether you go past it or not.

I weighed between 77 and 79kg for a long long time, probably 10 years plus. For me, it was still fat. It may have been a "healthy" weight but not for my build, I'm one that should be in the lower half of my range, I'm tall and willowy and quite light boned and finely muscled. I was chunky, chubby and flabby at 77kg. So I pretty much set my own goal at 70 and have settled at about 68 to 69.

Personally, I'd still like a smaller bum, but the fact is I'm verging on skeletal around the neck, shoulders, back and chest and still a bit more voluptuous below the navel. I think for any more improvement I would need some Lipo, rather than weight loss because I will just end up looking truly awful above the waist.

My goal weight has changed over the last 2 years. At first I wanted to go from 250 to 125. But after talking to my doctor we decided that I should shoot for the weight I was before I had a baby-160. Not super skinny, but much better than 250. Am I right? When I hit 160 I get plastic surgery, and then I will look slim no matter what!

The goal in my signature is my mini-goal, which is to get under 200. My final goal, set by my surgeon, is 140. I'm 5'3" and that is the top of the healthy weight range for my height. It seems really low to me, since I didn't even weigh that in middle school. (I have very large tatas that don't go anywhere when I lose, and very muscular legs.) However, I'm not going to sell myself short. If I can get there, I'll be thrilled!

My gyn, on the other hand, told me that my body's "happy weight" with PCOS is around 220 and he would be thrilled to see me maintain any number below 200. I think he is letting me off too easily, but he is personally and professionally linked to Dr. Thatcher who literally wrote the book on PCOS. Either way, I will do my best--my honest best--and let the scale fall where it may.

For me, this journey is all about being healthy. I want to be able to run and play with my kids at school (I teach grades 4-5) or my own future children. I want to be comfortale in social situations, and I want to avoid diabetes. I have lots of other goals that are not dependant on what the scale says. When I meet these goals, I'll be happy!

Edited by aivey
typo

My DR set my 'goal' to a weight that was a BMI of 27 (or 70kgs). In his opinion, that's a healthy weight for women of my height (5ft 4in).

But I believe that at 70kgs, I was still a little too heavy. I got down to 61kgs but that was a little too thin IMO (despite it being a BMI of 23). Unlike Jachut, when I lose, I lose my bum and boobs first , so I ended up looking like a skinny little boy - all straight up and down and no curves.

So now I'm about 63-4kg and happy with it. My Dr now even agrees that this seems like the 'right' weight for me. You can still see my ribs, but I have a bum and boobs now!

So I think setting a goal weight should be just that - something to strive to but not necessarily the end point. By all means, have something to aspire to, but once you get there, find out what weight works for you, and that'll be your 'maintenance' weight.

I calculated mine based on bone size & BMI I have tiny bones so decided on a mid level for my frame size (60-65kg) which would be around 22bmi give or take.

If I get down there and my top half is too bony, I'll stop when it feels right.

Probably everyone needs to judge this for themselves :biggrin:

Rach.

Thank you, all, this was very helpful!

I will let you know what the doctor suggests, hopefully he can shed some light on things. :biggrin:

Thanks again!

Shannon