Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Alae Zarif - Surgery by Dr Zarif

Hi:

Surgery scheduled for July 16th. So far so good. Dr. Zarif was highly recommended by other physicians. Very good office manner. My only concerns are privacy at such a small hospital and pain control after the surgery.

hi blackhole..I just had surgery by Dr. Zarif and everything was phenomenal..I had a private room..everything was top notch in my room. My bed was wonderful..better than any hospital bed that I have been in before. Everyone was super nice and they know what they are doing. They are on the ball and I never had any problems getting meds. AGH was wonderful..a very personable hospital. They let my daughter and husband stay too and even rolled in a cot.

Welcome Blakhole

Steph is right AGH was great... and no I am not just saying that because I work there...LOL. Every room is a private room there which as a patient I definately loved. And Dr Zarif is great. I think he has just the best bedside manner. He even is great if I just walk up to him at any time in the hospital and have a question for him. If he sees me sometimes he will stop and say hi and ask how things are going. I personally dont know many doctors who will do that.

As for pain control, well they just kept giving me pain meds when I asked for them while I was in the hospital and then for home I just took what Dr zarif prescribed for me. Unfortunately since I am allergic to codeine he could not give me a liquid and I had to cut these big horse pills up into a bunch of pieces. So since that part was a big pain I did not end up taking many pain meds. I really did not need them that much anyway. The most pain was from the gas pressure and that goes away on its own after while.

If you have any questions feel free to ask. And if you are nervous dont forget to come to the support group meeting on Tuesday the 14th, that is just 2 days before your surgery so you may find it to be very helpful.

Had it done yesterday, and here I am sitting in my own living room the next with everything going great. Only had to take the codeine once and that was just so I would make sure I got a good night's sleep

You are right about AGH. Great people and rooms. One of my nurses already had the surgery with Dr. Zarif and also thinks he is wonderful.

As to Dr. Zarif, I can't even start to sing his praises. I had planned to have the surgery at another clinic, but once I met and talked with him, changed over to him. I am so glad I did. What a great office and bedside manner. Kept checking on me throughout the day, and even called in to the nurse's station that night to check on my progress.

I was told by another nurse that that is just how he is, especially with his lap band patients, and the attention and caring really showed.

I feel lucky to have had it done now because as his reputation grows I know he will become very busy.

My one question is, did you come home from the hospital heavier than when you went in? Even though I have only had a little broth and some liquids, I weigh more today than I did when I checked into the hospital yesterday. I guess its just my body holding onto liquids because of the surgery.

Well I am sorry to say that I missed you both at the support group meeting... maybe you can make it to the next one.

Blackhole: I am glad to hear things went well for you. I dont want to say "I told you so" but well Dr Zarif is great...LOL. You actually had your surgery on my 3 month bandiversary. As for the weighing more when I came home than when I went in I dont think so. But I did weigh the same on Sat after I had come home as the day I went in on Thursday. After that is when it started dropping. But I have read on here that many people do come home heavier and it is prob from the fluids and swelling. Just give it a few days and I am sure you will start to drop. Keep us posted on your progress. I go in for a fill on Wed (22nd) and boy do I need it. My scale has not moved in over a week...that part can be frustrating but oh well I will just keep plugging along.

Hi you all...sorry I haven't responded in a while..just been busy! Blackhole, glad you are doing great. It will only get better for you. I still have gas pains real bad. Friday was my 2 week appt. and the doc was astonded at how much weight I have already lost.My feet used to always stay swollen....well now I have "skinny" feet lol. I think I weighed less when I came home but it is probably just swelling, blackhole. You probably had the same nurses I had on the 2nd of July. They were all great. They even got me a fan when I got hot! Jenfs5..I hope all goes well with your fill. I never got a reminder for the meeting this month and I forgot all about it..oh well. hope you all stay doing great.

Thanks to you both.

The extra weight went away by the 2nd post-op day. As it was almost 10 lbs, it had me concerned. However, the next day 6 of the extra pounds had dropped away, and then on the second, the rest had disappeared.

I guess I've been especially lucky because I haven't had any gas problems, or at least no build up to where it causes any discomfort. I guess the Gas-X strips are doing their job.

I'm following the liquid diet to a tee, just wish I had done a little more research before and found a broth that tasted better than what I bought.

Hi guys. Steph sorry you did not get a reminder postcard. I dont think I got mine until the Friday before the meeting. I think it is because Kim is not in the office in the summer. Lucky her, I guess she stays home with the kids in the summer. She was not at the support meeting and I dont think she has been at any of the recent intrest meetings either. I too ate mostly "broth" from canned Soups instead of just chicken or vegetable broth. I still have 2 of the 3 containers of broth I had bought in my cabinet...LOL. Oh and congrats on your fast weight loss. I have always been a slow loser in the past and it looks like even with the band I am still just plodding along. Oh well as long as it goes down and stays down I will be happy.

Blackhole, glad to hear that you have dropped that weight so fast. And you are soooo lucky that you are not having gas pain. I think it took me at least 4 days before I really felt better from the gas. Good luck on that liquid diet. The 2 weeks will be over before you know it. Keep us posted.

I am still having gas pains some..but they are getting better..thanks for the encouragement Jen...it won't be long now blackhole...your getting there

Well I went for my fill today. I was supposed to have had 3.5 cc's in my band from my last 2 fills, but there was only 2.5 cc's in it. So he filled me up to 4.5 cc's. He said if when I go back in 6 weeks it is less than that I may have a leak and we will have to do a "leak" test. That is where they put contrast into the band while under flouroscopy and watch it for any leaks. why me??? LOL. It was really weird b/c after he did my fill and i had to drink my Water it made this really funny noise as it was going thru the band. I asked him is that always going to do that? So then I took another drink and it did it again. I told him that if it kept doing this it was going to be awfully embarassing...LOL. But by the time I got up and moved around and got to work it had stopped making that weird sound. It sounded like a cross between a burp and a clogged sink gurgling.

I was kind of bummed because I had not lost any weight since I had been in to see him to get my cat scan. Oh well at least I did not gain either. IT was exactly the same, kinda weird especially since it measures you in .2 lb increments.

Keep in touch guys!

Thanks for the suggestion of the Progresso broths. Went right out and bought some. Finally something that tasted good. Starting week 2 now. The first week really went by fast.

I've only had two dreams about food, and they were both about eggs and grits. This week I'm at least going to be able to eat some runny grits. Next week I get the eggs.< /p>

I'm sorry you are still having gas pains. The only pain I had was around the port incision, and that one has almost completley gone.

My only problem has been taking my Lipitor. They are just too big to crush and try to force down. I'm not going to risk gagging for them.

Where do you find the chewable Calcium tablets around here?

I think I got mine at Target. But I did not take them, they were horrible...LOL. Now I take Citrical petites (also can be found at target).