Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Want to start running...need encouragement

I think I am finally going to push myself and move up to week 4. I just got fitted for really good (and expensive) running shoes. I am excited to run tomorrow.

For those just started running - keep up the good work:thumbup:

Way to go Claudine, way to go!!! Wow. I want to do as well as you! Did my 2nd day today, and much to my amazement, I did better than the first day. I actually did an entire 60 secs of running in one shot. Only once, a couple of close seconds tho. I just keep thinking to myself, you can do it... But I was literally ready to fall down when I got home, lol.

I like this. I feel like really Accomplished something & have more to accomplish.

Good work Cathy!:D

I did my Week 4 and it was 3 and 5 min running intervals with only 90 seconds rest walks between each. I did feel challenged today but that was a good thing. You get stronger with every run.

Want more encouragement? Are you stressed? I had a horrible day at work Thursday. The kind of day where you weigh the consequences of what you really want to do with how much you need the money. It had been raining most of the day, if the rain continued I was going to run on the treadmill, which I hate. It was just one more crappy thing to a bad day. The rain stopped and I was going to be able to run. Just knowing that improved my spirits 100%. I was going to run 4 miles, but just decided to run the 5k at a slower pace than my normal daily run. It was then I realized that once you feel comfortable running the distance, it is a huge stress reliever. Many coworkers may not have to fear my wrath today and I might be able to tolerate them all the way till 5pm.

The title of this thread is need encouragement. How about finding the best stress reliever. I've only been at this around 5 months. It is so worth it.

Want more encouragement? Are you stressed? I had a horrible day at work Thursday. The kind of day where you weigh the consequences of what you really want to do with how much you need the money. It had been raining most of the day, if the rain continued I was going to run on the treadmill, which I hate. It was just one more crappy thing to a bad day. The rain stopped and I was going to be able to run. Just knowing that improved my spirits 100%. I was going to run 4 miles, but just decided to run the 5k at a slower pace than my normal daily run. It was then I realized that once you feel comfortable running the distance, it is a huge stress reliever. Many coworkers may not have to fear my wrath today and I might be able to tolerate them all the way till 5pm.

The title of this thread is need encouragement. How about finding the best stress reliever. I've only been at this around 5 months. It is so worth it.

When I 1st started this thread I had never ran before as an adult. I was so scared of what others thou gt of seeing an overweight person running and sweating and puffing. But Now - I run with confidence and each week I get better and I am getting stronger and more fit. I think running is one of the ultimate stress relievers. I feel so good after I run and really have a better day.

Billoh - I am glad you were able to get run in before taking it all out on your co-workers. :D

Edited by Claudine1975

. I was so scared of what others thougt of seeing an overweight person running and sweating and puffing.

They probably thing more highly of that person than seeing the same person walking out of McDonald's with a supersized meal.

They probably thing more highly of that person than seeing the same person walking out of McDonald's with a supersized meal.

Never thought of it that way! Good one :biggrin:

Claudine~ hope you like your new shoes. Nothing better than taking off in new comfy shoes that fit! I love hearing your confidence about running - I am sure it has also filtered over into other aspects of your life. I love running for that reason, it not only gets in my needed exercise, but I feel better, I look better and it does relieve that nasty stress!

We have an amazing summer as far as weather. Saturday I ended up having to run on the treadmill at the gym. For those of you on the treadmill, it is MUCH harder than running outside. I set the speed on the treadmill so that I would complete 5k in a time that would match my best road time. That was tough.

Of course I get the last treadmill in the gym, and the fans don't work, not that they help much anyway, so right away you lose cooling air. Other medical issues cause me to be a little off balance so keeping my balance on the treadmill is a lot more work. In a 5k, I may knock some 5'4 110 pound person off the course, but I can manage that. I also remember from my HS cross country days, that I ran my best times when I varied my pace a little. Plus I've noticed on the road you get an occasional adrenaline rush that helps. (Running by a nice looking lady who takes a 2nd look, or crossing an intersection before the light turns. Looks like I will be buying cold weather running gear this year.

I felt the same way when I started running. Forget them, besides they are not looking anyway. Have you ever thought if you do see someone looking at you that the are just jelious. Saying to themselves I wish I was fit enough to run. And as the weight falls off you will eventually want peeps to look at ya....P.S. Make sure your stretch before and after to avoid injuries and make sure to do strength training as well to help avoid those possible future injuries. Just to let you know I am currently training for a half marathon.....13 miles. good luck and make sure you have a great pair of shoes.

FYI - I found this free website that uses google earth to help you map out and measure routes to run and save them.

Running Routes - WalkJogRun

Hello Everyone!

First post here - I started the Couch to 5 K program last week and so far am enjoying it. So much so that I ran/walked three days straight and raised the spectre of my old friend, the 'shin splint' on Monday morning!:thumbup:

Gotta remember to take a day off in between...*makes note to self* :biggrin:

Read all the messages, and you are an inspiring group! Like a lot of you, I never did much running in the past - I'm sure I did as a kid, but I'm 46 now, and have one knee that used to give me trouble before I was banded. As you can see by my ticker, I'm down 55 pounds at this point - mostly with walking. I walk often - with DDog in the morning (now my jog/walk time), from the train station to my job, from my job back to the train station, and sometimes in the evening before bedtime.

I am determined to finish the Couch to 5K program and my DH and I are already looking for a race in September or October to try. I'm taking the pace a little slower on the c25k because I've had a previous issue with atrial fibrillation - unfortunately, it happened while at the gym on a treadmill. So far, no problems - if I feel my heart rate 'fluttering' I slow down a little. Since I've been walking regularly (longer walks on the weekend) I know I'm ready for this...

Will be back posting regularly to update my progress - y'all keep up the great work!:thumbup:

WTG Ebony! You will love the C25K program. It is a great way to start running, it takes you up nice and slow. Make sure you do take the rest days, especially in the beginning - they are important to give your body time to recoup from your run days.

You should be able to find a 5K in the fall. I found it to be good motivation to keep going in the program, knowing that I had a run that I had signed up for, plus, you usually get a shirt and other free goodies!

Don't worry about going at your pace. I think that is important! You will find that almost everyone on this thread had to repeat days or even weeks of the program. Listen to your body and you will do fine!

Welcome to running - you will get addicted!

Ebony,

Let me give you a little tip for preventing and even helping shin splints. Take a wash cloth, or a dish towel and get it soaking wet. (obviously not to be done in your carpeted areas.) Sit on a chair with your legs crossed the way a lady in a short skirt might and pick the wet towel up off the floor using your toes, grabbing between your big toe and the next one. One you get it, lift it as high as you can,and them lower it back, repeating 10 times. This is a great exercise to prevent the splints.

Ahhh the new shoes are wonderful. Not that the old ones were hurting, but I feel good while running. I started week 4 last Friday and I was puffing. Today was a lot better. I usually stay on a particular week for about 2-3 weeks until I feel comfortable with myself and my breathing.

Ebony - you are doing great. Just remember to pace yourself and don't rush into it. I usually take my time with progress to each week. Make sure you have a good pair of running shoes.

Happy running everyone.

congrats on starting your running addiction...My only suggestion is make sure to run with proper form...Always focus on your from because as soon as you start getting tired the form goes out the window and before you know it you have an injury. I am currently training for a half marathon....its however a cross country run and its at 6500 ft in elevation. Definately a great challenge. Good luck and keep at it. :thumbup: