Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Want to start running...need encouragement

Good going Ebonyrose!

This morning I was all pumped about my run and my iPod was not charged:cursing:. Instead if pouting about it. I decided to run as much as I can for as long as I can with OUT music. I ran for about 95% of 2.2 miles. I only stopped twice for about 45 seconds. I was so proud of myself Running without musics and with minimal breaks.:)

Keep up the good work everyone!

Yay Claudine...you GO girl! :biggrin:

Claudine, that's great. With that you could enter many 5k's now. Many of them are not that competitive and many people walk the entire thing. My wife started that way and by the 3rd one she was running them completely in about 40 minutes. I'm lucky, I live in an area where I could find a 5k nearby every weekend. We are currently doing it every other weekend.

Someday when I get to be a 'real' athlete, I wanna keep up with BillOh and his wife...kudos to her! :biggrin:

PS. I've inspired one of my skinny and 10 years younger friends to start running. We are running our first 5 k together this weekend. I intend on parking near the finish line and getting a lawn chair and beer (lite of course) and be waiting at the finish line for him.

You're just that inspiring kind of guy! I know I'll be thinking of everyone on this thread when I run MY first 5k...

All I can say is D*mn you all! 4 weeks since surgery, 3rd full week in the gym, and today did the first day of C25K! I got so inspired reading about all of your successes I had to take a shot myself :blink:.

Do have a question about shoes. I have 3 pair of trail shoes but am working out in a gym now. These shoes just aren't cutting it on the treadmill, will regular running shoes help? The 3 pr of trail running shoes I have are asics and I really like them for the larger toe box they tend to have. Should I just stick with asics for reg. running shoes?

Also, in 2 weeks I'll be able to get back in my kayak which is my prefered form of exercise. Will it be OK to combine the C25K days and weight training days? Figuring on 3 days in my boat and 3 days in the gym.

Anyway, psyched to be here, and CANNOT believe I actually RAN today [wasn't pretty but got it done]. :drool:

All I can say is D*mn you all! 4 weeks since surgery, 3rd full week in the gym, and today did the first day of C25K! I got so inspired reading about all of your successes I had to take a shot myself :tt2:.

You GO! That's fantastic!

Do have a question about shoes. I have 3 pair of trail shoes but am working out in a gym now. These shoes just aren't cutting it on the treadmill, will regular running shoes help? The 3 pr of trail running shoes I have are asics and I really like them for the larger toe box they tend to have. Should I just stick with asics for reg. running shoes?

I would say so...the brand fits your feet, so they should have a running shoe that will work. When you get your shoes, tell the fitter that you prefer the larger toe box, maybe if Asics doesn't have a shoe that will work, they can find you another one that will...

Also, in 2 weeks I'll be able to get back in my kayak which is my prefered form of exercise. Will it be OK to combine the C25K days and weight training days? Figuring on 3 days in my boat and 3 days in the gym.

Anyway, psyched to be here, and CANNOT believe I actually RAN today [wasn't pretty but got it done]. :blink:

I'm thrilled for ya! Keep up the good work...I'm a bit jealous of you being able to kayak. There is a newish rental place near my home that rents them for use on the river, but I haven't checked them out yet.

Kudos on the run - they will get easier...my first one wasn't pretty either, but now I like to think I look like I'm enjoying myself! :drool:

Trail shoes are definitely not right for the treadmill. Since you recognize the value of the larger toe box, I recommend you go to a running store and get fitted. I have a New balance store near me and have had problems with shoes with narrow toe boxes so I got fitted with the proper size. I'm partial to New Balance as the ones in the store are American made and I used them when I ran 30 years ago. A running store that carries several brands can have a good recommendation. I've never worn Asics before, but I wouldn't doubt their philosophy of construction would carry over from trail to s treet running.

Edited by BillOh

All I can say is D*mn you all! 4 weeks since surgery, 3rd full week in the gym, and today did the first day of C25K! I got so inspired reading about all of your successes I had to take a shot myself :(.

Anyway, psyched to be here, and CANNOT believe I actually RAN today [wasn't pretty but got it done]. :thumbup:

WTG! I agree with Bill, I would go to a running store and get fit for a proper road shoe. Make sure you bring in the shoes that you are currently using, that will also help them determine what your needs are as far as the type of shoe that will work best for you.

Kayaking sounds like a ton of fun! I would think that you would be fine combining days, just make sure that you get in at least one full rest day to give your muscles time to rest and recoup! Definitely listen to your body it will let you know if you are over doing it.

Morning, Everyone! :thumbup:

Just went for a "wog"...did Week 3, Day 3 of the Couch to 5k and made it through wonderfully. I have three walking routes I use, short, medium and long.

The long route was perfect for doing the program workout - I haven't been using the recordings because I run with my DH and he has an aversion to technology, but since he's out of town this weekend, I decided to test my fitness level and do the program exactly as indicated. I made it through just fine - even ran up a short hill because that's where I was when the recording beeped and said "Run".

I feel great! I know I'm making progress, and I feel certain I'll be doing a race in September or October. Thanks to all of you for the encouragement and accountability...

Have a wonderful weekend!:)

Well after recently finishing the c25K program, yesterday I finally went and ran on the road. It was a far different experience from the treadmill. I did pretty good completing 3 miles in 32:27 -- my best time yet! I plan on running a 5k race in September and another in October so I will try to mix in more road runs. Keep up the good work everyone! :thumbup:

Just finished my 8th 5k. No new record this week, it was a rough week, I had to take time off because of a blister (totally avoidable, because I was stupid) and I was out late Friday night at a birthday party so I ran today on 4hours sleep. Did manage to take 3rd in my age group. That usually is good for a medal or plaque. Today, and I'm sure you will all appreciate the irony here, 3rd place was good for a $15 gift certificate to a local bakery/sweet shop. :biggrin:

Edited by BillOh

Just finished my 8th 5k. No new record this week, it was a rough week, I had to take time off because of a blister (totally avoidable, but I was stupid) and I was out late Friday night as a birthday party so I ran today on 4hours sleep. Did manage to take 3rd in my age group. That usually is good for a medal or plaque. Today, and I'm sure you will all appreciate the irony here, 3rd place was good for a $15 gift certificate to a local bakery/sweet shop. :unsure:

Way to go on the race result, BillOH! :biggrin:

Now that bakery gift certificate...:eek::smile2::wink:

Just finished my 8th 5k. No new record this week, it was a rough week, I had to take time off because of a blister (totally avoidable, but I was stupid) and I was out late Friday night as a birthday party so I ran today on 4hours sleep. Did manage to take 3rd in my age group. That usually is good for a medal or plaque. Today, and I'm sure you will all appreciate the irony here, 3rd place was good for a $15 gift certificate to a local bakery/sweet shop. :biggrin:

:smile2::lol:And I am sure you ran right down there to get something to eat! LOL. WTG on the finish!

I have my first 5 mile trail run tomorrow morning! That will be the longest run that I will have ever completed. The trail section we are running is pretty technical so I am sure I will be out there for awhile. Should be fun! If I survive I will let you know how it went.:unsure:

:lol::lol:And I am sure you ran right down there to get something to eat! LOL. WTG on the finish!

I have my first 5 mile trail run tomorrow morning! That will be the longest run that I will have ever completed. The trail section we are running is pretty technical so I am sure I will be out there for awhile. Should be fun! If I survive I will let you know how it went.:sad:

You are probably about done, let us know about it, I haven't tried trail running at all. My skinny friend ran his first 5k yesterday, finishing 2 minutes behind me, but a very good 27 minutes for his first 5k. I've decided to make sure he stays there by signing up for my 2nd 10k for next Saturday.

My wife, the gastric bypass patient has entered in the "Corporate Challenge 5K" and will be running her first race without me. I ran the 10k without her back in June, so I was looking for a run while she is at that one. I am not allowed to run. :)

You are probably about done, let us know about it, I haven't tried trail running at all. My skinny friend ran his first 5k yesterday, finishing 2 minutes behind me, but a very good 27 minutes for his first 5k. I've decided to make sure he stays there by signing up for my 2nd 10k for next Saturday.

My wife, the gastric bypass patient has entered in the "Corporate Challenge 5K" and will be running her first race without me. I ran the 10k without her back in June, so I was looking for a run while she is at that one. I am not allowed to run. :)

Not allowed to run! That has to be killing you!

My 5 mile run was amazing! The scenery was beautiful. We had to run the river "stairs" (read as: come up out of a canyon) and it was a serious pain in the butt! Holy cow! Coming down it was a killer, my knees are sore and so is my back. But the rest of the run was really great.

I am not the fastest, but it was a good time for me and for increasing distance I was pretty satisfied.

WOW Kristen that sounds amazing! Must be nice running with nature, knowing me though I'd be looking at a flower and fall down a cliff rofl.

BillOh, why can't you run? Because your like a 'pro' now or what :-)?

Got a pair of Brooks shoes Sunday and oh my what a HUGE change, had no clue how much I was beating up my feet before!

Hope I'll have successes to relate eventually but for right now week 1 on C25K is kicking my over inflated a$$ :-P.

Not allowed to run! That has to be killing you!

The "corporate challenge" is multiple events in our area that I think is put on by United Way as a fund raiser. They put corporations of aproximately the same sizes together is friendly competitions, but they do have very strict guidelines about people having to work for those companies and no "ringers". They do lots of fun things that I get left out of because my company sucks.

WOW Kristen that sounds amazing! Must be nice running with nature, knowing me though I'd be looking at a flower and fall down a cliff rofl.

Got a pair of Brooks shoes Sunday and oh my what a HUGE change, had no clue how much I was beating up my feet before!

Hope I'll have successes to relate eventually but for right now week 1 on C25K is kicking my over inflated a$$ :-P.

Oh you have no idea! I fell two runs in a row on the same stupid rock! Had skinned knees and bruises! It is amazing being out and about - I love it!

So glad you upgraded the shoes! It is amazing what a comfy ride new shoes can be!

At least your overinflated ass is out there! You will be cruising along in no time at all!

The "corporate challenge" is multiple events in our area that I think is put on by United Way as a fund raiser. They put corporations of aproximately the same sizes together is friendly competitions, but they do have very strict guidelines about people having to work for those companies and no "ringers". They do lots of fun things that I get left out of because my company sucks.

You should tell your sucky company to participate! :sneaky:Do they know they have greatness in their midst?