Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Want to start running...need encouragement

I work out at Curves 4 times a week and the Fri-Sun I walk about 3.5 miles in about an hour each day. I am ready to start moving a little bit more as the walk is fun (hills and all) but the challenge is gone. I want to run. Something I thought I would never say in a million years. At 280 pounds I never had a hard time strutting myself in a swimsuit and lying out by the pool or beach. For some reason, I feel that I might look ridiculous running at about 195 pounds.:) I have never felt self conscious about anything when I was heavier. Not that I am over 80 lbs thinner I have a feeling everybody will be peeping out their windows starting at the big girl running. I am sure not, but it is all in my head. I know what to do this, I have downloaded several podcast for couch to 5k, bought good ruinning shoes and a sports bra.

I think I need some reassurance from the 1st time runners and long time runners that you didn't gave a damn who was looking you. You just did it. I keep telling myself that....but I still have a little reservations about it.

Any words of wisdom here?

Claudine~ Go for it! I started the C25K this past winter and loved it. Don't worry that people are looking at you - they aren't! If they are running, they are thinking about their run and if they are your neighbors to heck with them! I just run on by and don't worry about it.

Heck, you have to be lookin' great if you are down to 195! Turn on your podcast and get started, you will be so glad that you did! Keep us posted and let us know how your first run goes!

You are going to be just fine put in your earbuds get a good stretch and then pound that pavement girl...

As you get older you get more confidence in yourself and worry less about what others think, but running in public is a daunting thought!

When I was 18 or so, I used to run regularly, I was a bit bigger than I am now, at the top of my healthy weight range but I thought I was huge, lol. I used to run only early morning or late at night. I wouldnt run in the daylight for anything.

Nowadays, I just plain dont care. I enjoy the feeling of knowing I look like a runner, I no longer stagger, jiggle or go beet red and puff hard. But at first, i ran at night. I was absolutely scarlet when I got home, I looked scarey, I breathed like a steam engine. I preferred to do it under the cover of darkness. It didnt take me long though to gain confidence - a couple of fun runs really helped in that regard, running in public surrounded by others in the daytime.

I went through a stage where I was quite large still, well, still had big boobs anyway and they got LOADS of attention. I was so embarrassed by them flopping up and down, but nowadays, I dont have any left, lol. People tend to leave me alone and not yell out stuff anymore because they're not assulted by the sight of my tits flapping around and I also these days I guess I look like I'm a serious runner.

You'll get there, it takes a bit of guts to put yourself out there, but you're worth it and you really do have to just do it.

I started the c25k program 4 weeks ago. It's been awesome. I've been doing it at the gym on a treadmill. As the saying goes, "Just Do It"! You'll be amazed how much fun it becomes. Good luck!

Thanks guys! I did it today. I walked/ran for about 4 miles and it was great. I now see how addicting running can be. I can't believe that I am actually running!!:)

Good Work! :)

Congrats on just "doing it"!!!

I also want to run -- but as you can see by my ticker -- I am significantly larger than any of you.

Should I just wait until I'm a more normal size??

Actually, that is one of my goals. To be able to run - just really "run" - (and not jiggle and flip-flop like crazy of course!)

:))

You ROCK! Running is what saved my life, I am convinced! I started running three months after my surgery and haven't stopped yet. Keep at it! It will do wonders for your self-esteem AND your body!

Remember "The miracle is not that I had the courage to finish, but that I had the courage to START"

Congrats on just "doing it"!!!

I also want to run -- but as you can see by my ticker -- I am significantly larger than any of you.

Should I just wait until I'm a more normal size??

Actually, that is one of my goals. To be able to run - just really "run" - (and not jiggle and flip-flop like crazy of course!)

:thumbup:)

Malissa~ I started running when I was about 235, I was going to wait until I was under 200, but I just decided to go for it! I am so glad that I did! Go out and give it a try, see how it goes!:party:

Use the Couch-to-5k program! It will make you a runner, I swear!

I did week 1 again this morning and felt great. I think I will stay on week 1 until I feel more comfortable. Running gives me a great energy boost, I love it:laugh:

Hi Claudine,

I just read your message, I'll read the replies later, but I think my wife and I might be able to offer you some inspiration/confirmation. I was a pretty good runner 30 years ago in Highschool. If asked, I'll be happy to relate my "my Al Bundy High school moment" that I like to tell people about. After dropping 60 I started again with 5ks. My wife who had bypass surgery and never was a runner had enjoyed her first two 5k run/walks. I'm doing a 10k, I hope this weekend, and we will both do another 5k the weekend after that. I'm sure she would love to share thoughts experiences with you. In most of these 5ks nobody cares anything about what you wear or how you performm, they are just encouraging. I just encouraged my wife into buying running capris, as she ran the first two in denim capris :party: Are you on Facebook? I gave give you her name. I'll show her this thread tonight. Off to read your replies.

Edited by BillOh

Thanks guys! I did it today. I walked/ran for about 4 miles and it was great. I now see how addicting running can be. I can't believe that I am actually running!!:party:

In my 2 5ks, I have found that people end up running in packs that are about their same pace and you will probably find a few people right around you in very similar circumstances.

I did week 1 again this morning and felt great. I think I will stay on week 1 until I feel more comfortable. Running gives me a great energy boost, I love it:laugh:

That is great! I stayed at several of the weeks until I could comfortably get through them. Work at your own pace and you will be surprised at how quickly you improve and become a runner!