Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Doubts and worries

I only had my surgery 1 week ago, so the feelings that you are having are still very fresh with me.

I have a 14 month old and this surgery was firstly for my health so I would live long enough to see her grow up (she is my last when I was 41).

I was a waiting list for nearly 10 months and was postponed once (for 14 days) so I hated the waiting but it gave me time to get my head around the whole issue and why I was going to do it.

I had to go to the hospital which is 1 1/2 hours away from where I live, my husband had to look after the baby, and my grown up children had to work - but in some ways being alone was better because I met tonnes of people on my way and it made the time go quick - sometimes support people make you more nervous!

It was all a spin - until they got me on that table to the needles - which I hate - I was surrounded by 7 men (various dr's and nurses - would have been interesting in another situation perhaps :D and they all held my hands and rubbed my head while they did their work with the needles etc, ................. next I woke up and I was so happy that finally I could live a more "normal" life, and was on my feet within a couple of hours because I was so determined that I wanted this - I was so excited I was busting out of myself!

You will be fine - you will survive and it will make you stronger! Like others have said compared with having a baby it is fairly simple - but hard to compare at the same time - different ends really!

Good Luck

Glenda xx

I am also a band wannabe! I thought about trying 1 last diet too, then I took a good hard look at myself and said "What makes me think I'll keep the weight off this time?" I wasn't able to keep it off the last 50 diets...why did I think #51 would be different. I'm tired of the rollercoaster. I'm ready to be healthy FOR LIFE.

I also have thoughts about the surgery...but it really seems minor compared to all the other stuff I've put myself through with different diets! My body has been through the ringer with all the different diets from starvation to cabbage Soup (and everything inbetween). At least the band procedure will be monitored very closely by a competent doctor and surgical team! It will be over in a matter of hours and then I will be on my way to a new healthy lifestyle that involves healthy CONTROLLED eating and exercise! YEAH!

Marsha

Yesterday I experienced a kind of doubt that surprised me. Things have been going pretty well for me lately, and it occurred to me that if everything else is falling into place in my life wouldn't it be sort of pushing my luck to try to be *thin* also? But then I remembered that even though my job(s) may be going well and my marriage is getting better every day, the doors that have yet to open for me are numerous.

This morning is my presurgical appointment, and I go with a light heart and no more doubts and worries. Thanks, everyone, for chiming in!!

Alexandra,

We're all rooting for you!! Let us know how your appointment went.

Thanks for thinking of me! The appointment was more like a cattle-call for everyone scheduled for surgery in the next couple of weeks. I got my official "before" weight (317--shhh, don't tell anyone :D) and they took my b.p., which was pretty high.

Then I sat with several other people around a table and listened to the nurse practitioner tell us to read this form, and sign here, and read this form, and sign here, and so on. There were a couple of questions from the table but I was very happy to see that we were all pretty well informed already. The NP was a little impatient, and I didn't hear a thing about support groups or any followup besides our post-op checkups, so this doesn't seem a very touchy-feely practice. As it was I only waved to the surgeon. (He and I have had all of about 5 minutes face-time through this entire process, which started last October.)

Happily all of my paperwork was in order and all my tests complete, so I just had to sign things and be on my merry way. We are, unfortunately, still waiting for Aetna to come up with a reasonable offer, but I'm fully optimistic about that. Everyone is on the same page--me, my doctors, the department of health, the department of insurance--and Aetna is out there by itself waaaay on the other end. And I have another resource to tap tomorrow. So I think my Monday or Tuesday this should be a done deal.

13 days and counting!

I can relate to your feelings and I think pre-op anxiety is entirely normal. I almost chose to have an RNY. I actually was withing four days of surgery when my fears and anxieties and reservations about the procedure took over and I listened to my gut and cancelled the surgery. Now I will be having a lap band in less than two weeks and strangely, I'm not nervous at all yet. I guess because I feel this is so much safer. But I will probably be a ball of nerves the night before.

robin i visited your sight you are so pretty!amazing job you have one.im 3 weeks preop and nervous as heck-i too have these strange and scarey thoughts but i must do this.i too have control portion size issues and with all my health issues that are related to being obese i must do this just to live!!!!my date is set for september 11-scarey surreal date huh?i will take all the comments i can cause im goiung do this i have researched for a year-got approval with no hassles and am almost ready mentally and physically for this-i lost 15 lbs in the month since i started this process so i will be fine.im just scared of throwing up.im always thristy cause of my diabetes anyway so hopefully i can still do li1quids well-good luck all and stay in touch-vam71259@aol.com victoria:)

Hi Victoria,

I am 11 days post-op. I too hate to throw up. I had read so many times that you throw up if you try to over eat that I think I under eat just to make sure that it doesn't happen to me. The trick is to stop eating when you are not hungrey any more, not to continue until you are bursting at the seems (which is what I used to do).

You learn to listen to your body and stop just when the hunger is gone. I am sure you will do just fine... it's just nerves.

Good Luck

Mary :)