Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pain after eating..have you experienced this?

First I want to say hello to everyone. I have been reading some of your posts for a while but haven't posted before. I was banded about a month and a half ago and I am so happy! I was just wondering if any of you have pain where your band is after eating. I haven't had a fill yet, but I am wondering if maybe I am taking bites that are too big, or if I am choosing the wrong foods. Sometimes after I eat (especially if I eat more than "normal") I get really sharp pains in my stomach. I haven't thrown up or had any PBing, but it is really scary and painful. Yesterday I had some fish, cooked carrots and peach slices and about 15 minutes after eating I got these pains. I also got them after eating a cheeseburger (small with no bread) from McDonalds. I realize the cheeseburger wasn't a good food choice, but I really had no choice because we were in a hurry. Am I doiing something wrong?

I also was banded about 6 weeks ago and I have experienced this after I eat they are kind of a spuratic sharp pain but they don't last very long before I knoe it it is gone I wondered what that was also I thought it was just more healing taking place but not sure ..good question!

Carrie

I have to agree you can eat all the right foods but if you eat too quick..the pain will come ,you can't concentrate on others and basical you feel like crap.My nose runs and and I start to produce loads of saliva.The moral of the story is eat slowly and if not sure take only two mouthfuls then walk away and only come back when you know it has gone down well.I find that if I eat with my kids I have the trouble every time so now I try to eat away from them...I think it is that having to eat quick or they will have it off your plate syndrom.The little rotters still hang around wanting my left overs.

Try to take it slow and you will be fine.

I was banded 8/30, and the first week I felt great, however I have had more pains this week than I did the day after surgery..

I too get those pains, I find it is when I am full, I am still on Clear liquids, but If I have my broth and then a little later have more Water and more Water, etc,,, I feel full, like when ya go to the buffet and have that over stuffed feeling and its hard to breathe,,, that is kind of what it feels like to me, just not tooo bad at breathing. Also all the other places I was "stabbed" have been hurting inside now too....

As the day goes on, the largest incision area gets harder and harder, the one that has a port there somewhere... When I first wake up the area is is softer and non painful of course....

I'm a month post-op, and when I tried to eat bread, even well chewed, it made my chest feel really tight and I was very uncomfortable. It will make you think twice before doing that trick again!

I have pain too when I eat too much or too fast or if I do not chew well enough.

I was banded on July 26, 2005 by Dr. Kim in Florida. I was told that this pain is known as a "hard stop" and I should not rely on this to know when I am full. My doctor told me that I need to measure my quantity of food at each meal and not eat more than 5 ounces total food (3oz. Protein, 2oz. veggie) four meals a day plus a few Snacks.

Its really your pouch/esophagus having a spasm where the food hurts and seems to move up and down a little for a few minutes and then it passes.

I think it will continue to happen from time to time when I may forget to eat slowly like a bandster but I am careful now because it is very painful and may make my band slip or rupture.

If you continue to get these pains after you have measured food and chewed well, please see your doctor.

Good luck.

Joyce

I was banded just over a month ago as well. I have the same issue. I will be in the middle of chewing and all of a sudden I get the sharp pain. I have learned to eat more slowly and chew better. By doing this I find that I eat less and feel satisfied without the discomfort. It is hard to do this because I am sticking to the "rules" and only eating 3 meals a day, but by the time it is time to eat I eat so fast because I am hungry. Just another thing I have to work on.

Try eating 4 meals a day instead of 3 so you are not so hungry that you eat too fast or too much. The "hard stops" caused by the pain are not good for our band (or our health). I suggest that you try to eat more often. Thats what I have been doing and it seems to work much better for me.

Good luck and don't worry...you are not alone...lots of us have the same pain problem.

Joyce

I have also been having sharp pains. They don't always occur after eating but are on my left side near the port. I was banded on August 24th. I was wondering if these were due to the food I have been eating or simply post surgery pain from the port. I am on a regular diet and have not had any problems with throwing up.