Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

~Calling all May 26-ers!~

Hi all.. I made it! My surgery went well..."text book" is the word the surgeon used. However I did suffer from some pretty rough nausea afterward though. I did well to get down about 2 cups of Water all day yesterday.

I am having some gas pains through my shoulders and back but are taking gas-x. I feel a bit dizzy and puky when I walk around this morning. I just sipped down a few ounces of Protein drink and some watered down white grape juice and waiting to see how I handle it.

The only significant pain is at the port site. It hurts when sitting down or getting up but its not unmanageable. I slept on the couch last night kind of half propped up on my non-port side. I slept well thanks to my pain medication.

I don't own a set of scales so I requested a "nice" set as a get well present from my mom when she visits this afternoon. I feel like I must be down after basically 4 days of eating nothing.

I'm having a hard time deciding if I am hungry or not. Anyone else having this problem?

Christy, you remind me of me with the worrying!

My surgery was the first one of the morning, I had to get to the hospital at 5:30 and was so very nervous. Had a couple of anxiety issues while sitting there in the pre-op room but my hubby gave in to my desire to gossip to get my mind off of things and lightened up the mood. Thank god for the sedative they gave me (although I didn't get it until they wheeled me into the OR), it conked me out and I only remember less than a minute of nervousness in the OR.

The nurses were wonderful, and I woke up with some general discomfort from the pressure only, no incision pain at that point. Got some morphine for the pain which must have been a low dose because didn't do what I remembered morphine doing the only other time I had it!

I was so thirsty on my ride home, I should have brought some Water. I've done well with the Clear Liquids - I had Water, juice and broth yesterday with no nausea or anything. I've had gas pressure but gasx has helped, and today I woke up after 5 hours of sleep feeling like I was sore from doing too many sit-ups.

What has helped me get through it all - the lidocaine they gave me on my upper hand numbing it so that I didn't even feel the IV (don't know why but that made me feel less anxious not to feel it), gas-x, walking to release the gas, a heating pad on my belly to ease the sore muscle feeling, my pain meds which take the edge off, and being able to handle fluids well.

Congrats to all. Had mine yesterday. Not scheduled till 5pm. But surgery started at around 4:30 or so. Woke up feeling pretty good, after being scared to death to go in. Port incision was sore. But the worst was gas pain in the back. Felt good today walked, breathed (no one really explained the whole breathing and coughing thing? Just said I needed to do it.) But after the 2 hour ride home I was quite sore ranging in the 7 to 8 range. Hubby brought home pain med. Helped quite a bit. Fell asleep it is almost midnight now and wide awake!!! Only had today broth, Opti fast shake, Water, and Decaf diet tea. No protien yet just don't think I can handle the thickness as even sometime water burns in my chest. Had upper GI and all was well today. But sore inside. Anyone else have that? Like burning in the chest near band site? Trying to take smaller sips.

Christy - Congrats - You are doing great. Keep it up. It does get easier.............

Congrats to all the May 26th BANDitos..........

Well, the initial euphoria has worn off. :thumbup: My 2nd day post-op (yesterday) was not my favorite day ever. I've had no gas pain in my shoulder, but I was surprised at the sharpness of the gas pain in my tummy. I walked around the house until I started burping a bit. The nurse had told me that once I started burping, I would continue to feel better little by little until all the gas is gone. I sit here on Day 3 without radical discomfort, but still with a distended tummy.

My incisions look fine. I have no real "incision pain." It's most just a general feeling of "Mike Tyson just went medieval on my tummy." :w00t: The coughing and deep breathing is more difficult than I expected because of the achy tummy feeling.

I'm trying to get in as much Fluid as I can. I squeezed in three mini-meals yesterday. (My surgeon has us start mushies on day 2.) Two meals were yummy pureed progresso low-sodium chicken/rice Soup, and dinner was pureed cottage cheese. I really didn't eat much at all. I didn't have any trouble getting anything down yesterday, which was a relief. I bought an apple/melon Isopure yesterday and can't imagine how long it might take to sip that entire bottle!!! (Any hints?!)

Breakfast today will be pureed cottage cheese and pureed salsa. I'm going to challenge myself to be brave and eat until I feel a fullness cue from my band and try to be finished within 30 minutes.

So overall, I'm hanging in there... a little worried that I'm not getting enough Protein, food, and liquids in me, but confident that I'll make my way through this and make this new situation into my new way of life. :lol:

I need to catch up on my reading here soon!

Wow Christy I can't believe you were able to eat mushies. That goes to show you once again the difference in Docs. Mine is making us wait 7 to 10 days. But I am like you I don't know if I could do it. I am worried I am not getting enough Fluid and protien. I am a little concerned. I definatley think the gas pain was worse today. Well last night. I have been napping on and off because of pain meds. Pain is tolerable until I cough. Lots of popcycles and Water. Keep it up all we can do it.

Burbing is good ...........Gas X strips are even better. Thank the lord for Gas X strips..........It really helped.

If you like Hot -n - Sour Soup from the local Chinese Rest. Puree it. I did, tastes the same and tasted so good.

:thumbup: I hate the Protein shakes!! I just can't take them...they make me gag. I know I can't live on just juice and Water alone for the next 1-2 weeks so I am really worried. I don't want to let myself get weak and sick from not taking enough nutrients.

Hi there, I found a heating pad helped a lot with the gas pain...it became my "security blanket" too, to keep my little dog from pressing on my incision, or from snuggling and poking me with her whiskers! It did take a few days to go away completely, but was a little better every day, walking helped too.

Yay Christy! Glad you made it through with flying colors! I will toast your new journey with some diet Snapple Kiwi strawberry (my new favorite!!). Cheers!

Christy...surgery recovery is very much a "two steps forward, one step back" dance. My third day was horrible, then four good days, then another "down" day. It is a process, but as long as you are getting a little better every couple of days, you are doing fine! I am enjoying mushies too!

I was released from the hospital yesterday evening. My worst pain was a headache. I didn't have to take pain meds for my surgical sites. Today I started full liquids. I found some great Soups at trader joes that I mixed a scoop of Protein powder to increase the Protein. I sip Water all day. My doc has me writing down my food, cal, protein and fat, as well as exercise. I also bought some Protein shakes at trader joes that I am trying today.

I feel tired. No gas. and not enough incisional pain to take pain meds. I tried to get up and walk at least every half hour to prevent blood clots. Last night I slept in our recliner which worked out great when I had to get up.

I like having others to communicate about this whole experience!!

Congratulations to all of you! You're now Banded Banditos! :)

:) I hate the Protein shakes!! I just can't take them...they make me gag. I know I can't live on just juice and Water alone for the next 1-2 weeks so I am really worried. I don't want to let myself get weak and sick from not taking enough nutrients.

Have you tried the Slim Fast Low Carb. It is new and my nutritionist said they were good. They have 20 grams of protien per shake. they don't taste as medicine like. they aren't bad. I been getting the chocolate ones. Good luck