Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I went to my first consulatation with my bariatric dr and he said my liver is very large. He is planning for my lap band sugery to be in early August. He wants me to lose 30 lbs by then. WOW !!!!!! He also said that 1 week before surgery he will put me on a liquid diet. Hopefully with the combined my liver will be to a size so he can do the lap band. He gave me a book to read on living a better lifestyle and it has great cookbook in it.I feel it is going to be impossible to lose 30 lbs by August. Today I am cleaning out my refrigerator and pantry to get rid of all the bad stuff. I also have to start drinking Protein Shakes now.Also he wants me to eat six times a day.Now that is really going to be hard for me. Any suggestions plzzzzzzzzzz??????? :mad2::D

Angelicforever,

At least try eating 4 times a day. I am able to do that although some people are told only to eat 3 times a day. For the amount of food that you are used to eating it will be helpful for you to make it into 4 meals. I know it will be a learning experience but for certain, eating Protein is very important as it will keep you fuller longer. Start trying the banded technique and don't drink while you are eating. Chew your food really slowly and you will be full quicker. Take a look at the palm of your hand and that is the amount you should eat 4 times daily. If it will be 6 times daily than it should be smaller.

Protein Drinks are okay but I don't think that they should be relied upon. I think you should think of it as a quick meal. It is something that you need not rely on as it is an easy thing to have.

I hope you have an understanding of how important it is for your liver to be very small especially for the surgery. This is the reason why they want you on liquids before the procedure, to shrink it.

I can't tell you what to eat but certainly Protein, veggies and carbs. If you are able to stay away from white carbs, flour, then you should be on the road to success. Stay with they healthy carbs such as veggies and and remember your sweets such as fruits are also a carb. I would suggest though that you stay away from natural sugar (fruits), even sugar free sweets prior to going to bed. Try to eat your carbs early in tha day time so you can burn them off as in the evening time when you are laying back and relaxing even the healthy carbs turn into fat. If you happen to get hungry in the evening after dinner then pop an egg in your mouth. If you can handle it also then eat just the white part only as it has just as much protein in it as the yolk does but it doesn't have the fat content in it like the yolk does.

Drink alot of Water if you don't already. This not only helps in the weight loss process but it is so healthy for you to detoxify yourself. People are amazed at how my skin looks even after my weight loss and I can only thank the Water for that besides learning to eat healthy. It won't be easy at first but if you need it besides wanting it bad enough you can do it. It begins with your head first and then your stomach will follow.

Josephine

You can try what my pre-op diet was. My doc recommended whey Protein Shakes. I had 2 each day, and two meals that each consisted of 3 ounces of lean Protein (about the size of a deck of cards) and steamed or raw vegetables, and small amounts of whole grain carbs. I didn't starve to death. If you decide to try protein shakes, most health food stores will even let you taste product to find one that you like.

you can do it just be motivated. i had to do the six month dietian classes. that was april08 the dietian nurse says i had to prove to the insurance that i could lose the weight. that what motivated me. i started my practice early with the Clear Liquids chicken broth,

beef broth

light&fit yogurt

cottage cheese

sugarfree jello

she had me on a high protien&low carb dinner but i cut out all the junk.at the last weigh in that was sept08. i had lost 27lbs.then i had to wait three more months before my surgery an during that time i lost another 20lbs.that was 40lbs before surgery. i did not have to do a pre-op.i was 324lbsin the beginning. at surgery i was 285, today i am at 260.an monday i go for my fourth fill. sorry this is so long. but hang in there you can do it.

I lost 32 pounds in 5 1/2 weeks following my doc's preop diet so yes you CAN lose 30 by August.

I had to follow a high Protein low fat low carb diet and the weight fell off.

My doc, though, is adamant about only 3 meals a day and no snacks! funny how different they all are

You can do it, it just takes a little preparation. I agree with the lower carb, high Protein option being a great way to go. The liquid diet also helps to peal off the pounds fast.

It is dangerous to have surgery with a fatty liver so there is really not much choice other than to go on a special liver shrinking diet. Some people have actually had to have their surgery postponed due to this issue.

Good luck with everything. :0) Perhaps you could even start a thread for other bandsters that are trying to do the liver shrinking - fast diet option.

Just want to share my experince. I had my initial consultation to have Lap Band Surgery on Apr 27, 2009. I was told that my BMI was too high to do surgery. I have been told to lose 100lbs before he and I will re-discuss surgery options. My surgeon put me on Atkins Diet, Phentermine (prescription appetite suppresant) and was told to walk on the treadmill 1-2 times a week. Well I took it upon myself to walk EVERY night and right now I have been doing 25 mins on the treadmill. I have cut out all the high carb foods as per Atkins Diet. Monday, May 11, 2009 (YESTERDAY) was my TWO week weigh-in and I have lost 27lbs already!!!!!!!!!! It can be done so please don't think your Doc has given you an impossible task! Your results may vary, but it sure has been working for me so far. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions viprvenm@hotmail.com Good luck and of all things try your best to keep a positive attitude - it will help you more than most other things! God Bless.

Jason

I lost 32 pounds in 5 1/2 weeks following my doc's preop diet so yes you CAN lose 30 by August.

I had to follow a high Protein low fat low carb diet and the weight fell off.

My doc, though, is adamant about only 3 meals a day and no snacks! funny how different they all are

Thank you for all of your replies. It has been a real big help to hear from others. Right now I am eating 3 meals a day with 2 Protein Shakes a day. My son who is 16 and also is overweight is FINALLY giving me support and he said he wants to lose weight with me ... YEAH !!!!! Since I started on Monday and I also cleaned out my refrig and pantry.Goodbye to all the goodies.The past 2 nights I have noticed that my feet didn't swell as bad. I have also given up salt. I love Mrs Dash the spicey ones. I gave all of my food that I got rid of to a shelter for women.The protein shakes are something I have to get used to because they do not taste all that great,but I can deal.If you have any other suggestions for me I would really appreciate it. Especially what to stay away from. I know I have to cook more now because I didn't do a lot of cooking before and I know that is going to make a difference.I always took the easy way out like pre packaged meals,frozen meals,fast food etc.....Oh YES>>>>> the sweets I am going to miss a lot. I am trying fat free and sugar free Jello pudding and it's pretty good.Congratulations to you all on your success.I hope to hear more from you all.

I had 2 Protein Shakes and one very small meal a day. But man the weight fell off. It was great.

I don't cook too much now, actually; when you can't eat a lot you don't need to cook much unless its for family! And I have had a burger, for example, occasionally; can only eat about 1/3 of one and I'm full. It freaks me out each time, but it works.

The band is life; you make the healthiest choices you can, you watch what you eat, you keep a "clean" kitchen (like you, if I don't have it I can do without it; no midnight runs for chips etc LOL that's why i say I'm not an addict) and you do the best you can. The band really helps once you get restriction (remember that!...you need good restriction and it may take a while to get there but once you do, wowie!)

Hang in there! Post often!

Sorry if I posted this wrong to you all that replied to me. I am still learning how to use this site. I hope you all got to read my reply.:) I will get the hang of all this one day soon.

Thank you for your reply and suggestions. Congratualtions on your weight loss. What brand of Protein Shakes are you on and do you add anything to them to flavor them up any? I am drinking chocolate right,but it's hard to get down. I want to add a banana, but I don't think I am allowed to have bananas...The DR wants me to eat 3 meals a day and he gave me a book and cookbook to follow and man some of those recipes are something. For one thing a lot of work and a lot of money. I don't want to be spending a whole lot of money to be making fancy meals. I know he wants me to follow them,but what can I do? The meals look YUMMY !!!!! I guess I could just use them as a guide line.I also have to remember that I have to cook for my son as well.

If you're asking me...(? LOL)

I had to drink 2-3 Eas Carb Control AdvantEDGE shakes a day and have 1 meal with 3-4 oz of lean turkey chicken or fish and some green veggies, plus 64 (at least) oz of Water each day. Period. No Snacks. No butter no breading no lemon on the fish nothing.

I cheated and dropped 15 pounds in 3 weeks but once in surgery my liver was too large! (SHAME on me!) so I followed the doc's diet to the letter and lost 17 MORE pounds in 17 days (I was shocked) and that time my liver was sufficiently down.

I didn't like the shakes either but I can do anything for a little while. Once I had the nasty experience of coming to in recovery and being told "You didn't get the band dear your liver was too big" I became a believer.

You may want to try that short term to kick start things. My doc said the point is to cut fat so that we pull it from our bodies and for whatever reason that diet makes the body pull it from the liver first (easy spot to get it, I guess)

You SHOULD do what your doc says but it shouldn't break the bank, either! I liked my diet because it was easy. I had shake, shake, and then a gorton's baked fish patty thing (they CALL it a filet, I have my doubts) and some green Beans or lettuce. At least I didn't have to worry about what to eat! LOL

It is worth it. I lost so much so fast I felt like a different person. It was amazing.

It's not impossible! I did the liver shrinking diet for 10-days prior to surgery and lost 11 pounds. Start now, have a Muscle Milk for Breakfast, lowfat cheese for snack, Muscle Milk or chicken breast for lunch, more lowfat cheese or lowfat yogurt snack, for dinner eat lien. Avoid Pasta & potatoes. There are other good Protein drinks on the market besides Muscle Milk. Just make sure you drink one with 15g of Protein.< /p>

Good luck to you! I am so glad I had the band done. I had mine 1 month ago and feel fabulous. Have lost 24 pounds since.

Yes, I am going to stick to the diet my DR gave me and some how I will get those shakes down. I am sure I will get used to them soon. I kinda of wish I got a different flavor.I don't want to go into surgery and end up not having it done. I can see how you would be dissapointed.I am not a big fish eater.What do you mean by you cheated?It which way did you?My son still has a box of twinkies and boy do I want to tear into them,but I won't.I might try that Gorton's Fisherman's fish filet and see if I like it. I am going to try and stay on high Proteins, low carbs and lots of green vegs.....Do you eat any fruit?

Again I want to thank you all for of your experiences and helpful hints. I will keep them all in mind. I am head strong to be on this journey and I will not fail.I will just take one day at a time.