Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 Days post band questions

I was banded on May 4. Is it suppose to be difficult/painful to get anything down? Even Water? I can't eat anything more than a couple of bites of yogurt or a couple small sips of my shake. Is this normal? When will I be able to get liquides/soft food down with no pain?

You are so soon post-op that you still have a lot of swelling. If it doesn't start to get better in the next day or two, I would call my surgeon's office. Or, go ahead and call them now. That's part of what they are there for!

All doctors are different. my doctor had me on a Clear Liquids. first week Water,

crystal light

sugar free popsicles

fatfree chicken or beef broth

unsweetened Decaf tea of coffee

2nd week full liquids

i did 1-8ounce can per day

boost

ensure

slimfast glucerna

no sugar added carnation instant Breakfast with skim milk. hope this help i think you are eating too soon. just my opinion.feel better soon.

I agree with Sil...

I am suprised that you are allowed foods 2 days post-op. I was full liquids for 1 wk then on to mushies.

But in regards to your question, it is not suprising that you are sore there is still lots of swelling and it will take your body a little time to heal from the "trama" of surgery. Go very slowly and remember that this is a time for healing.

Good luck and if anything doesn't feel right call your Dr sooner rather then later!!

Call your Dr immediately. I was just like you and waited for 2 days. I couldn't get anything down. Only ice chips. In the hospital I had the Barium Swallow and was OK and I drank apple juice before I left the hospital. But when I got home I could only do ice chips no liquid at all. I went back in, and Dr withdrew 2CC's of saline and i immediately was OK. He said I had swelling after surgery and I was completely closed. You will get dehydrated fast. Better safe than sorry. Call him and he will know what to do.....

I really must agree also about the clear liquids. I am 8 days post-op and I must say that even though you will get extremely tired of them you must hang in there. The pain doesn't last forever. I am still not totally pain free. Just make sure no matter what you stay hydrated even if you have to take a single sip of Water even 10-15 min or so. It will make you feel better. Then after a few days try to atleast get in 1/4-1/2 of a Protein shake in the mornings that will help with your inital energy.

I know you may think that you know what is best for your body cause I thought the same thing but you really should listen to some of the advise that others are giving you. We have gone through it. Your doctor may be the expert but nine times out of ten he or she has not personally experienced the band and they can never truely know what you are going through.

What seems to vary is some doctors put some Fluid in the band at the time of surgery. Mine wouldn't put any in for 6 weeks to allow healing and the swelling to go down.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I spoke to the doctor and she said I am just very swollen and to stay mostly on liquids for the first week. I will do this. I was able to get down 11 oz of Soup a few min ago. My shoulder/neck pain comes and goes. the doctor says by day 6/7 that should go away as well.

I had the same date. same issue and severe pain on my shoulder. I try to drink very slowly and i don't know what to do with pain

can some one helpme? i had this surgery in Mexico and i just wanted to know is normal to have pain on shoulder

can some one helpme? i had this surgery in Mexico and i just wanted to know is normal to have pain on shoulder

It seems LOTS of people report shoulder pain following surgery. I believe it has to do with the gas making it's way through your cavity. Try to walk often to help the gas move out.

Hope all else is well for you!

Thank you, since I had the surgry in Mexico I was concern. IDid not have fill yet, I have to wait 4 to 6 weeks before they do filling. I am on liquid diet I just crave for salty drink and I have a hard time to find what is Ok.

I was banded two days ago. Total to lose from first visit to Dr was 70. As of today, I have lost 13 with the pre-op and post-op diets. Port pain has been intense first two nights, but today is much better (72 hours after surgery). Very concerned about the huge lump in my stomach from the port. Dr used low profile port, but that is a huge lump all the same.

Doc said with starting BMI of 38, I do not have as much abdominal fat as others, so expect to always feel and probably see the port.

Can anybody help me with their experience starting with a lower BMI as I did?

I was banded two days ago. Total to lose from first visit to Dr was 70. As of today, I have lost 13 with the pre-op and post-op diets. Port pain has been intense first two nights, but today is much better (72 hours after surgery). Very concerned about the huge lump in my stomach from the port. Dr used low profile port, but that is a huge lump all the same.

Doc said with starting BMI of 38, I do not have as much abdominal fat as others, so expect to always feel and probably see the port.

Can anybody help me with their experience starting with a lower BMI as I did?

I was banded on 4/30. I too am lower BMI and have no idea where my port is. I can feel it is on my right just due to the muscle pain...but I have felt around on my belly and can't even find it. I would follow up with doc about this.