Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

BMI 32 / 60 lbs ...

Hi everyone

I'm hoping one of you can help me.

I am 5' 7" and currently weigh 220 lbs. I believe my BMI is at 34, but I am not sure. I am not even sure if I am considered a low BMI. I am 39 years old and my blood pressure was last checked two weeks ago at 174/104, which is severe. My doctor prescribed me medication to control it and I am supposed to go back for a full physical on June 10 at which time I want to inform her that I would like to receive the lapband proceedure.

My question is this- Does anyone know if my insurance would approve this for me? I have Anthem Blue Cross HMO 100%.

I would like to return to my normal weight of 135 lbs, but I'm not sure if being 85 lbs overweight is enough to qualify for insurance coverage.

I totally understand, and the prices are VERY attractive. I didn't mean it to sound at all condescending. I'm just battling with the fear of surgery, compounding it with having surgery in a foreign country and it may be more than i can handle!

I didn't think you were being condescending! No worries.

I can totally understand the fear of the unknown in that way. My mother had already got a lapband at the same place a year or so before I did, so I was reassured by that. It was an excellent choice and location and I would recommend it highly.

I think a lot of people also go to Mexico because of how highly most recommend it after having their procedure there.

Thank you all for posting to this thread. After reading everyone's stories I feel much better. I am currently 5'7" and weigh 230 lbs which puts me at a BMI of 36, but for the past few years my weight has gone up and down and at times was under a BMI of 35, so I am extremely nervous that my insurance will not pay because I have gone below the 35. but now I think I might still be able to have this surgery in Mexico (at a reasonable price) if my insurance turns me down. You all give me hope, thanks again:smile2:

Hello All, Yes it does stink you have to weight in at a certain amount....I weight 193 at the highest and BMI is 36.1 still having problems getting approved first time I was denied and wasn't going to go through with it ....6 months later here I am again going for my appointment tomorrow hoping I weight in enough to have the surgery ...I even have Type 2 diabetes and was rejected but, let's hope tomorrows appt., goes well....I will keep you posted!!! My Insurance is Carefirst Bluechoice of Maryland anyone else have problems with this Insurance? smooches for now.

I found out that I am pregnant over the weekend. I didn't think that I could get pregnant again. I am about 5 weeks along. I've been struggling with what to do? I/We are not ready for another baby. Emotionally and physically, I just don't think I can do it again. I had chest xrays and the barium swallow xrays last week, so I'm concerned about possible complications. We are not an old goats, nor are we spring chickens...Pushin' 40 with a newborn??? I am scared!!! I fear that God will punish me if I don't have the baby. If I gain another 20+ lbs I know my medical problems will worsen. I have gone so far in this process to turn back now.

Jachut: I have a bmi of 31 but it feels like 81 i got on the chat room here asking if it was a good idea to get banded and they all laughed at me and made me look stupid. 50 lbs is alot too. i have tried everything and i now the drill of what to do but its not working for me thanks for your input it was nice to here

:ohmy:what do you mean not working for you?

Hi All,

I just got banded on 9/30 with Dr. Ortiz in Tijuana. I have a BMI of 32 and need to lose about 50lbs. It was easy for me to make the decision to get banded. I was ovrweight, lethargic, and had 2 young children that I want to be active for--

Downside- you do get a great deal of comments and resentful stares for those who have higher BMIers. It can be a bit intiidating. On the van ride to the clinin, I tried to ignore the stares. I did not even think about asking any questions for those who were coming back for a fill!!!

Listen- at the end of the say-its your body, your life, and your happiness. If you can afford this TOOL (because that's all it is) go for it--:thumbup:

and do not worry anout the naysayers:tongue_smilie:

BTW- Dr. Ortiz was not only really hot--he was great!

I don't see what the problem is with low BMI's and the surgery. Im 5'2 and weighed 195 lbs day of surgery on 8/27 and have already dropped 25lbs. I believe this was the best choice for me and do not regret it at all.

Hey there!! I was at about BMI of 36 2 months pre-op. I'm a dietician, yet I've always struggled with obesity. My all time high was 250 in high school. I managed to lose about 105 lbs. with diet and excercise. Of course this all went away after having a baby. I was stuck at 205. After a year of breastfeeding I went on a 1200 calorie diet and managed to lose about 25 pounds. I decided to get the lap band when I was at a BMI of about 33. So obviously, theoretically I wasn't a lap band candidate. However, I underwent surgery in Mexico, guadalajara to be exact. The entire experience was great. I haven't had a since episode of what people call PB's (productive burping), which I attribute to the dietary guidelines my surgeon and dietician have recommended along the way. ANYWHO....look into your options. Research A LOT. I didn't before hand.....but I lucked out. I found a wonderfull group of surgeons. Glad to guide you with whatever might come up in your journey.

I absolutely believe that LAP-Band surgery is a great option. Limiting low BMI's from getting is like saying, you have to be closer to death in order to get it!! As a patient and dietician, I believe it's a great tool...NOTE: TOOL, not miracle solution. Good luck. Hope this helped.

Here here!

I get the same feeling. When I respond to a post

or post a blog I feel people are looking down on me

because I am 5"7 195 & 5 days post op.

At 1st I just wanted to read & not post, but I said to heck wit

it; no on is gonna break my spirit.

I don't have to explain my problems with food to anyone.

Accept me or don't, either way I will drop this weight!

Good luck to everyone!!!

I was banded 4/21 and the surgery was $5,900 by one of the best surgeons in Mexico. Airfare was around $250 and hotel and transportation were part of the surgery package. Cheap and awesome and haven't had any problems as of yet!

I would say that anything much more than that is a rip-off because you are getting no follow-up care because it's in Mexico. Fills were NOT included, even if I were to fly back to the doctor.

Let me know if you have any questions at all.

Who follows you up with fills?

Hey there!! I was at about BMI of 36 2 months pre-op. I'm a dietician, yet I've always struggled with obesity. My all time high was 250 in high school. I managed to lose about 105 lbs. with diet and excercise. Of course this all went away after having a baby. I was stuck at 205. After a year of breastfeeding I went on a 1200 calorie diet and managed to lose about 25 pounds. I decided to get the LAP-BAND® when I was at a BMI of about 33. So obviously, theoretically I wasn't a LAP-BAND® candidate. However, I underwent surgery in Mexico, guadalajara to be exact. The entire experience was great. I haven't had a since episode of what people call PB's (productive burping), which I attribute to the dietary guidelines my surgeon and dietician have recommended along the way. ANYWHO....look into your options. Research A LOT. I didn't before hand.....but I lucked out. I found a wonderfull group of surgeons. Glad to guide you with whatever might come up in your journey.

I absolutely believe that LAP-BAND® surgery is a great option. Limiting low BMI's from getting is like saying, you have to be closer to death in order to get it!! As a patient and dietician, I believe it's a great tool...NOTE: TOOL, not miracle solution. Good luck. Hope this helped.

How do you get your fills, are you referred to a dr in us?

How do you get your fills, are you referred to a dr in us?

That's funny cause I paid $6k in MX

got car to hospital transportation

a hotel room for my 2 guest

everything needed for surgery...

Fills are free for the 1st yr I need only pay for x-Ray

and, I got a follow up call from the person who set this all up!

I'm doing great 6 days post op!

I think if you pay more than $6500 in TJ it's too much...

Hi everyone: I am also in the lower bmi range for the surgery-- around BMI of 33. I haven't been on the scales in a little while but my surgery is planned for January 4th 2010.

I will be self pay with Christine Ren in NYC-- and I intend to make every penny worth it.

I'd estimate my weight at somewhere around 192 pounds, with a goal weight loss of around 55 to 60 pounds.

I haven't experienced anyone being mean to me on this board b/c I am at a 'lower' (ha ha) weight-- to me, being 5'4 and weighing in the 190's-- it is kind of laughable to say "low" with regard to weight. I don't mean to be cruel to those with much more weight to lose, but it really is all relative.

My weight class could be near to goal weight for a severely morbidly obese individual-- let's say someone who started out at 400 pounds. It would be delightful for that person to wind up under 200 pounds and a total boon to her health.

For me: I have been hovering in the normal/ overweight range for alot of my adult life-- but I keep gaining an average of 3 to 4 pounds per year. I can't afford to NOT stop this UP-slide anymore or I will wind up being even more heavy and need the surgery when I might be 'sicker.'

For now: I am considered by my surgeon to be a rather 'ideal' patient-- and the reason insurance won't pay is that insurance companies are arbitrary.

I know I am rambling, but it is wonderful to see some folks who are 'like me' in the low BMI range and going for the surgery. I plan to continue my blog through my journey-- though in my personal life, few people will know about this choice. I personally do not want to be a WLS poster girl, nor do I want to be subjected to everyone's opinions on the topic. It is a personal decision that I've come to after years of failed attempts to control my weight without a stronger 'tool' in place.

tinabeanabug

I haven't had my LAP-BAND® yet so I probably don't know what I'm talking about but ask others why you are throwing up all the time. Guess my thoughts were that you are taking in to much food at one time. Try to spread it out with smaller bites and chew more, make if baby fine when you swallow if you have to. This scares me also, the throwing up part! Amoung all the other things. Sure would be nice to be able to keep the weight off though. You seam a bit depressed, has this LAP-BAND® effective you this way? Are you tired all the time? Have you been doing the Protein Shakes? Try these with a few more charbs in the shake, like fruits, just a thought. I'm trying to listen to everyone on how they fill so that I can think about what I need to do. I have grandchildren and want to be able to run and play with them. I don't want to be on the couch sick and tired.

First things that came to my mind are Anemia, have you had your Iron checked and B Vitamins? have a blood test done to find out about any deficiancies. Also are you chosing the right foods for energy or eating something you may be allergic to is sapping your energy. Depression? Lots of things that could be checked and it may be a simple solution. I hope you nail it down and feel better.