Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

BMI 32 / 60 lbs ...

Anyone who only had to lose 60 lbs??? I feel constantly defeated at the fact that I cannot, and have not been able to successfully lose this weight after 3 kids... I'm considered "obese" and yet don't qualify to have the surgery done in the US... So Mexico is now on the radar... But again, I feel unjustified as there are many others who have a longer journey than I... Any advice or previous experience in my situation?

My BMI was 31 and I only had 55lbs to lose. I lost it and regained it 2 times over the past 5 years. I had Lapband surgery 2/09 and have since lost 25 lbs and am slowly losing the rest. My insurance wouldn't touch the surgery because my BMI wasnt high enough so I had to finance the procedure and I make monthly payments. I'm confident I can do this and maintian the weight loss now. It was the right choice for me. It is hard. Im frequently tired from lack of calories and have to be very careful not to eat to much or I throw up. Its a life changing thing. I have a lot of close friends that had considered the surgery until they saw what I have to go through. They say it is just not worth it. I disagree. I want to see my daughter grow up and get married and meet my grandchildren. I want to grow old with my husband. Hopefully I will get to do these things. I know I have decreased my chances of becoming a diabetic, having heart trouble and many other health related things by taking charge of my weight. GOOD LUCK!

Anyone who only had to lose 60 lbs??? I feel constantly defeated at the fact that I cannot, and have not been able to successfully lose this weight after 3 kids... I'm considered "obese" and yet don't qualify to have the surgery done in the US... So Mexico is now on the radar... But again, I feel unjustified as there are many others who have a longer journey than I... Any advice or previous experience in my situation?

Reply: I too have only 60-70lbs that I would like to lose, my only option is Mexico. I can't afford the us anyway, no insurance! So far, I think I'm looking at Dr. Ortiz in Tijuana. Drawback is the post-op! It would be better to have your Dr. close to you if follow-ups. I'm in a small town that has a a support group once a month but so far in the last 3 months no one shows up so I'm there by my self looking at all four walls. So I can't depend on them for any support. I to am crasy with worry. Maybe if we both go down to the same Dr. in Mexico together, they will give us a better price!!

tinabeanabug

I haven't had my lapband yet so I probably don't know what I'm talking about but ask others why you are throwing up all the time. Guess my thoughts were that you are taking in to much food at one time. Try to spread it out with smaller bites and chew more, make if baby fine when you swallow if you have to. This scares me also, the throwing up part! Amoung all the other things. Sure would be nice to be able to keep the weight off though. You seam a bit depressed, has this lapband effective you this way? Are you tired all the time? Have you been doing the Protein shakes? Try these with a few more charbs in the shake, like fruits, just a thought. I'm trying to listen to everyone on how they fill so that I can think about what I need to do. I have grandchildren and want to be able to run and play with them. I don't want to be on the couch sick and tired.

Hi Ladies -

So - I am scheduled for this next month... And let me just say: IT CANNOT COME FAST ENOUGH! :frown: If you want to PM me, we can discuss the specifics. YAY!!!

Please know however that I have done the research, and needless to say, nothing comes without a price to pay and some very hard work along with that. However, the throwing-up constantly is not something that "should" be happening normally. So please be careful and really watch what & how you are eating. Because if it's not as a result of anything (directly or indirectly) by you, then you should seek medical advice immediately.

ksk

Where are you going to get your lapband? I got in the chat room (somewhere) and they said that the band was easy and really good on people who need to lose a little weight and keep it off. I truly believe that if we follow their instructions if will be good for us. On the other hand if we follow instructions and keep doing the instuctions on any diet it will work. What's a person suppose to do?

I will go to Mexico for mine. I'm not afraid of Mexico but it's sort of nice to get your follow-ups which are included in the package. Can you said how much your surgery will be?:frown::smile2::thumbup:

I was banded 4/21 and the surgery was $5,900 by one of the best surgeons in Mexico. Airfare was around $250 and hotel and transportation were part of the surgery package. Cheap and awesome and haven't had any problems as of yet!

I would say that anything much more than that is a rip-off because you are getting no follow-up care because it's in Mexico. Fills were NOT included, even if I were to fly back to the doctor.

Let me know if you have any questions at all.

Actually all evidence points to the band working better for lower bmi patients.

This is YOUR journey and yours alone. You owe nothing to heavier patients, their lives are theirs to lead and you having surgery or not doesnt affect their ability to. Its not a limited commodity that you're stealing from someone who "needs it more".

60lb is a lot of excess weight. Its bad for your health and carries risks. And if if you've never been 100lb or 120lb overweight, then its also soul destroying - you feel out of control, disgusting, ugly, whatever. Its as devastating for you as it is for someone with more to lose.

Nonetheless be prepared for negative comment and even outright hostility, particularly on forums such as here. Some people feel very precious about deserving surgery more coz they're fatter.

California 29, Which Dr. did you use? I'm finding the prices are a little higher, 6500 Dr. Lopez and 7300 Dr. Ortiz in Mexico just across the border. I don't know which one to use, but need to make up my mind pronto. I have my husbands class reunion coming up. HEHE

I was banded by Dr. Zapata. I've heard rumors that he's on the Mexican version of Extreme Makeover, but I haven't been able to find anything on that.

He was so nice. It was an awesome experience overall. I would highly recommend him.

Jachut: I have a bmi of 31 but it feels like 81 i got on the chat room here asking if it was a good idea to get banded and they all laughed at me and made me look stupid. 50 lbs is alot too. i have tried everything and i now the drill of what to do but its not working for me thanks for your input it was nice to here

Hi,

They were probably thinking that you only have a little to lose over most of them. I too, have about 60 lbs to lose. I went to see my family Dr. and he said that I really wasn't big enough to have this lifetime band done and that if I lose 20 lbs I can get rid on my blood pressure meds. Fifty-sixty lbs is also a lot of weight and if we can get it off, we can't seem to keep it off, we tend to gain it back and them some. I have read a lot and got into some chat rooms. There is so much pros and cons on this. The last lady I read about said "help me please" She was having a rough time not being able to swallow Water and was becoming dehydrated. She also complained about it hurting. She seemed a bit scared so some of the girls came back with some suggestions. It bothered me to think this could happen. They suggested for her to go see her Dr. and she said that she would. I don't have a Dr. here as it would take me a long time to get to one. I was going to Mexico to get it done since I can't afford it here in the states. Since I don't have a Dr. here for support I though maybe it wasn't a good thing for me to do. If I were in trouble where would a go? 50lbs is a lot of weight. Before you get it done, go to all of the sites and chats and read what others are feeling, good or bad, at least you can get all sides. There are things that you cannot eat, a lot of things encluding popcorn, bread, Pasta, nuts and others. I get of feeling of choking when I read about the things that people can go through. Just give it some thought and do research. So far I have changed my mind and gave it up for now. Good luck. :laugh:

Please remember in doing your research that forums may notbe the most accurate representation of what having the band is really like. People come to forums searching for help when they have a problem or complication. Of course you're going to find horror story after horror story because people who are complication free (which are most) are out living their lives and check in once in awhile if they PB or something. It would be like only asking democrats how they feel about about an issue and then applying it to the general consensus. It just isn't an accurate representation.

Also, what you can and cannot eat is different with every person. I have 5 banded relatives and only one can't eat bread. Everyone else eats everything, but tend to stay away from most carbs because they're counterproductive to weight loss.

Try going into the support forums by surgery month. That would be better than the general post surgery one You will find most of them are fairly dead because everyone is out enjoying life.

Please let me know if I can answer any questions for you. As a low bmi bandster I understand how it's hard to get people to be supportive.

I cannot see why people would have a problem with low BMI lapband surgery. This is a life saving, preventative and cosmetic surgery the same as if those people who have a very high BMI and then have a massive Tummy Tuck because it rubs and causes sores on their skin. Im pretty sure that if it didnt they would still have it done so they feel better about themselves.

My BMI was 37 but i stayed around the 32 mark for a long time, it was only a matter of timing that i was 37 at the time of surgery. Even now i dont feel thin because im not at a healthy weight and event at 25 BMI i wont feel thin because although im within a healthy weight i will still be at the top of that scale and thats still not that great a place to be. This doesnt take away from the incredible achievements of those who lose alot of weight just my personal thoughts.