Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my surgery on Jan 20th. I have had one fill and I feel no restriction. Once in a while I feel something if I don't chew well. I am hungry alot. I have ate some things that I know that I shouldn't like a pieceof pizza. Will that hurt my band or just not helping to lose weight. Will I feel restriction or is my band not right?

I had my surgery on Jan 20th. I have had one fill and I feel no restriction. Once in a while I feel something if I don't chew well. I am hungry alot. I have ate some things that I know that I shouldn't like a pieceof pizza. Will that hurt my band or just not helping to lose weight. Will I feel restriction or is my band not right?

Hi, I was feeling a bit scared too because I can eat anything as long as it's moist. Dry food comes right back up. :drool:

There are a couple of things to consider. It's great that you can eat most food. No particular food should hurt your band but you'll want to nourish your body by choosing and eating healthier options. That's important since you're not eating as much as you did before and your body needs the nutrients. Several other patients have posted about the hunger feelings. Usually this means that you need another fill to find your "sweet" spot that balances hunger and food volume.

Good luck.

I am in the same boat. I was banded on the 20th. I have not had a fill yet. I feel no restriction since the swelling went down after the surgery. I am losing weight slowly but I know I am not eating the proper foods.

I have decided to somehow get back on track with my food intake. I guess I need to go back to the basics and journal everything.

I do know one thing. I felt so much better when I was limiting the carb intake so I am going to go back to a very low carb diet for a while and see if I can get off the carbs (or most of them anyway) and attempt to stay away from them.

Bballmom, you might just need another fill in order to feel that restriction that you want. Try to do what I'm going to do and go back to the basics and focus on eating the proper foods and amounts. If you still feel like you are not losing or don't have the restriction that you want, then go in for another fill. Keep us posted on what you end up doing.

BBall and NewLife: I hope you have both gotten fills - you definitely needed them as PenFlair indicated. The greatest gift the dietician at my weight loss center gave me was written in red ink on top of my nutritional information a note that said "WHITE CARBS are NOT required! You do not need ANY WHITE carbs to maintain proper nourishment!" I've had very few white carbs (twice I've had a small baked potato with low fat sour cream on it) since surgery on 1-27. I've had a few bites of rice here and there but, probably less than 1/2 cup total. I do eat fresh fruit at least once a day -- mostly strawberries and a banana (for potassium). I don't even care about carbs -- maybe I'm just different, but I don't seem to miss them at all and before surgery I was carb crazy and couldn't get my fill of them. If I'd had a meal without a potato or rice or bread I'd have thought I was deprived. Since surgery, I've been perfectly happy eating Protein first and then my veggie and fruit. If you get the proper restriction with fills you should also feel satisfied eating that way. One of the times I had a potato was a few days after my second fill and I got so full so fast I was miserable, but I had eaten my protein first so I was able to stop eating and feel satisfied. You should be restricted enough to get full after 3 to 4 oz. of protein and about 1/2 Cup of veggies and stay full for about 5 hours. If you don't have that, you need to talk to your doctor about getting a fill. I've had two fills since my surgery. First one was 6 weeks after surgery and the second 6 weeks later. My third is scheduled 6 weeks after the second. You need to get a little more aggressive with your surgeon or his staff. I wish you both the best of luck. If I can be of help, please let me know. LInda

Linda, you are correct. I was really needing a fill and I finally got my first fill on Monday the 27th. What a difference! I was told not to expect much with the first fill but I am feeling some restriction and I am staying fuller longer now. I have another fill scheduled for the end of May (four weeks from the first fill)

My problem was not with the medical staff. I am a self pay and I had the money together for a fill but then my transmission went out in my Explorer. It took all my savings and then some to get it fixed.

I am back on track and feeling so much better now. My meals consist of a cup of food or less at a meal and I'm not snacking in between. I expect some good weight loss coming my way.

I was also banded on march 20th. I haven't gotten a fill and don't want one at this time. I have good restriction... I eat 4oz of food at a time and stay full for between 3-4 hours. I don;t eliminate any food that I like, but have mostly stayed low carb. I have had pizza, and i don't feel guilty for anything i eat. I also am one of the lucky ones who doesn't have any problem with any foods (knock on wood). I think if u are hungry often and can eat bigger portions a fill will probably be the answer. my best friend got the band, and it took him two years to find his sweet spot. everyone is different. I think u really have to listen to what your body is telling u.

how has the weight loss been for u all since surg?? at firat I was losing like crazy and now im down to about 1-3lbs a week. Love to hear from u all!

amy