Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I didn't meet with a Nutrisionist before or after my sugery. The office coordinator gave me lots of recepies and reading material. But I didn't find any information on how much I should eat or a schedule to follow. Dr said I could start eating tuna, cottage cheese and Beans this weekend, just not sure how much. And do you continue drinking the Protein Drinks?

This is the beginning of your learning process. Take very tiny bites, chew well, give the food time to go down before you take your next bite. It should take you 20-30 minutes to finish a meal.

I was told to eat as soon as possible in the morning. Wait a minimum of 4 hours for lunch and the same for dinner.

The idea is to eat until you are satisfied but not too full. So of course, it will be a learning process. Start out by measuring 3/4 cup of food. Eat it as directed above. Note how you feel and how long it takes until you are hungry again. If you are still hungry or get hungry soon after (tummy rumbling hungry), add a little more for your next meal. If you feel the food in your chest or feel uncomfortable then eat less for the next meal. Understand that since you probably have not had a fill yet, you will be relying on some willpower to keep from eating too much.

Eventually, once you get a couple fills, you want to get to the point where you can eat a fixed amount of food three meals per day and stay satisfied at least four hours before you take your next meal and of course are losing weight.

I would really call and ask your Dr. or his staff. I was briefed that you could only fit about 1/4 to 1/2 a cup. I am still having Protein drinks for Breakfast and lunch and getting 76 grams of protein thru those and now that I am three weeks since the surgery I have been having mushies for dinner (started at two weeks). The next level (three week) allows me to add chicken, turkey, shellfish, and fish. My Dr. works at a Hospital which is rated as a center of excellence which might be why I have received the increase in information.

hola munequita

my meal schedule was to eat something every 3 hours,like half a Protein Shake, fresh fruit smashed,broth and stuff like that. i still eat this way and it has worked for me.during the week i limit my food intake alot and the weekend i eat what ever i want in small portions ofcourse......lol MARIAH

This meal issue post op is puzzling to me, but I guess it's because every doctor is different. My post-op diet is to have Clear Liquids for 10 days, and another 10 of liquids along with Protein Shakes, milk, yogurt, and jello...

I cannot eat mushies till day 21...

It's interesting to see that everyone starts food at different times post-op.

Hello,

I am six months post-op and I keep my day pretty structured. During the week I revolve around work, so coffee first thing in the AM, b-fast about 9, lunch at 12. I get off work at 4:30 and drink a Protein shake on the way home, dinner about 6-7pm and usually a small snack (string cheese, sugar free pudding) between 9-10 (I stay up till 11 each nite). I try to keep each meal about 2-3 oz's of meat, 1/4 cup Beans maybe a few vegetables or a dab of rice. I don't have much restriction yet so I have to be careful. I generally stay within 900- 1200 calories a day. If I do really well all day, I treat myself to a fat-free hot chocolate in the evening with a sugar-free peep (easter peep) floating on top.

Main thing to remember in the beginning is too go slow and chew small bites. You don't want to get stuck. I panicked the first few times it happened to me. so be careful and good luck.

This meal issue post op is puzzling to me, but I guess it's because every doctor is different. My post-op diet is to have clear liquids for 10 days, and another 10 of liquids along with Protein shakes, milk, yogurt, and Jello...

I cannot eat mushies till day 21...

It's interesting to see that everyone starts food at different times post-op.

I was on two weeks liquids then two weeks mushies before I moved to soft foods-then solids.

I don't know when Munequita was banded, there is not mention of that. But it appears based on doctors orders Munequita is to follow the soft foods stage right now. My reply was only to answer the OP's question on how much and how often to eat. But doctors do vary on what should be eaten how soon.

I'm 9 days post op and have been given the go-ahead on full liquids and things like baby oatmeal, cream of wheat, etc. I am a pretty high-strung person, but I swear I am deathly afraid of eating too much food right now. After seeing the pictures of how small my pouch is, I'm so afraid that even 1/2 cup of food or liquid is going to stretch out my pouch and my band isn't going to work as well. Does anyone have any words of wisdom (sorry in advance if I thread hijacked!).

The pouch stretches when people graze all day long keeping it consistently full or overfilled. If you eat three meals a day and let the pouch empty out between meals waiting until you are actually hungry before you eat again you should be just fine.

Right now the food will pass through pretty quickly if your band is empty.

Also, I've found (banded 1/20/09) that just because my tummy is rumbling and making LOTS of noise, doesn't mean that I am hungry. My co-workers have put up with the noisy new me (I try to keep the burping private, but the tummy thunder I can't control ;-)). Most of the time it happens I don't FEEL hungry at all, and I've had to resist my head telling me to feed that stomach.

Also, I've found (banded 1/20/09) that just because my tummy is rumbling and making LOTS of noise, doesn't mean that I am hungry. My co-workers have put up with the noisy new me (I try to keep the burping private, but the tummy thunder I can't control ;-)). Most of the time it happens I don't FEEL hungry at all, and I've had to resist my head telling me to feed that stomach.

That is true, I have discovered that many people have trouble identifying true hunger after surgery. You definitely need to figure out the difference between gas rolling around in your digestive system and tummy rumbling hunger pains...certainly another part of the learning process for many.