Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kissing the Band Bye-Bye! Yes!!!

I see this band as a parasite living inside of me. At first, it poses just an annoyance but, as time passes, it slowly sucks the life out of you. That's how I've been feeling. It's draining to not know if you'll be able to sleep at night, how bad the heartburn will be, etc.

Once the parasite is out of me, it dies and I thrive. While that might seem very "dark" to say, it's truly the way I feel.

I know how you feel, it affects every single aspect of your life. There is not a part of your world that isn't affected. Social, employment, personal, health, the works.

I think there is a certain amount of value in keeping the band, you get closure.

sorry i didn't mean to confuse you, after i read your post i just had this feeling that this wasn't the right time to go to mexico and have a revision sleave. i just thought to myself "this person should take more time to think about it" but i support u in your journey. my surgeon told me before my banding that it is common to band first, then make the sleave later for patients that are 300lbs plus. i would have preferred the sleave but BCBS in chicago does not believe/cover any sleaves he told me. i am 5 weeks out and ive only lost about 11 pounds :thumbup: good luck to u

sorry i didn't mean to confuse you, after i read your post i just had this feeling that this wasn't the right time to go to mexico and have a revision sleave. i just thought to myself "this person should take more time to think about it" but i support u in your journey. my surgeon told me before my banding that it is common to band first, then make the sleave later for patients that are 300lbs plus. i would have preferred the sleave but BCBS in chicago does not believe/cover any sleaves he told me. i am 5 weeks out and ive only lost about 11 pounds :thumbup: good luck to u

What most do not realize is that it is not all of Mexico that is a problem. It's just specific cities. OregonDaisy, Elisabeth, and Susan aren't going to the dangerous sections, they are going to a safe city.

I disagree with your doctor about revisions. A revision from band to sleeve is not an easy surgery. It's not the end of the world but it was harder than banding. Newbie sleeves seem to do pretty well just like banded folks but revision from band to sleeve is harder. I tell my doc that the one thing that keeps me on the straight and narrow is that I don't want another revision surgery, ever. ;o)

But the biggest reason I disagree with your doctor is that we don't get surgery half banking on a revision. Revision from band to sleeve carries triple the leak risk of sleeving a virgin stomach. It's a 2nd sugery when you could have just one. That's not sound medical practice to tell someone that isn't that high risk to get a band and probably revise to a sleeve later. If a sleeve is right the first time it needs to be done the first time.

A sleeve is what is done for mega obese people that want bypass or a DS but are too high risk. They sleeve them and then wait for them to lose weight to a safer BMI and then they go back and bypass if that is what they want. That's really the only time you plan on a two part procedure. Unless you are 2' tall and 300# there is no solid reason why you couldn't do a sleeve vs. a band barring other medical issues.

I know how you feel, it affects every single aspect of your life. There is not a part of your world that isn't affected. Social, employment, personal, health, the works.

I think there is a certain amount of value in keeping the band, you get closure.

Very well said. I couldn't agree more.

yes, I am interested in finding out whatever you found you liked or could at least tolerate. It's the clear stage I am worried about.

I know when I am on full liquids, it won't be a problem because I love the Peanut butter/chocolate whey Gourmet.

Oregondaisy,

I thought I was all set for both the clear and full liquids stages. Afterall, I had to do these stages when I had my band. I had raspberry Water that I get from Whole Foods and sugarfree popsicles. I had B12 and this liquid multi Vitamin that has everything in it. I had Protein Powder that I've used in the past. I already drink soy milk. I thought I was good to go.

Needless to say, thank God those stages are only 10 days each....it's been trial and error finding stuff post sleeve that I can tolerate. My sweet tooth, at least for now is gone. I've been able to get through it, but I pretty much did the same limited things for the clear stage, and am basically doing that for the full liquid. I have had no problems drinking; water, whatever goes down fine and I am not nauseous. It's just that things that have very small amount of sugar taste horrible. Artificial sweetners, too sweet. My wonderful Multivitamin, can't stand the taste.

It was so bad immediately post op that when the cleaning lady came in my room to mop, I had to ask her not to; The lemon smelling cleaning solution made me nauseous; it was too sweet smelling.

Don't get me wrong, I am glad for the change even if it is temporary. I've always eaten healthy, just too much and too many sweets. I used to wish for something to calm down my sweet tooth. Well, my wish has come true.

It's true that not everybody has this taste change post op sleeve, so you may not. I just wanted you to be prepared jus in case.

Where do you get a liquid multi Vitamin? I am kind of worried as I take a lot of supplements for a bladder problem. I did dump all the capsules into Water one time, just to find out if it was nasty to take them that way. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

I am hoping with the sleeve, it won't be as hard at it is banded to take stuff. I take a lot of stuff.

sorry i didn't mean to confuse you, after i read your post i just had this feeling that this wasn't the right time to go to Mexico and have a revision sleave. i just thought to myself "this person should take more time to think about it" but i support u in your journey. my surgeon told me before my banding that it is common to band first, then make the sleave later for patients that are 300lbs plus. i would have preferred the sleave but BCBS in chicago does not believe/cover any sleaves he told me. i am 5 weeks out and ive only lost about 11 pounds :thumbup: good luck to u

I got the band 3 years ago and researched it for 9 months before I actually went for the surgery. Back then, great things were promised with the band. Since that time, studies are showing that the least amount of weight is lost with the band and that people are increeasing reporting weight gain not to mention complications.

I did not wake up one morning and decide to go for revision surgery. I had to look at all the weight loss surgeries available and then determine which one was right for me. After making the decision to have a sleeve, I then had to research surgeons to find the best one skilled in that procedure.

I will not be flying into Mexico. I'm flying into CA and then being driven to the hospital which is not in the part of Mexico "in the news." I don't need more time to think about this because I took the time and am at peace with the revision surgery, the surgeon, and the hospital.

I am very sorry that your surgeon would not do the surgery you wanted. I would not allow a surgeon to tell me what he would or would not do. I'm paying the surgeon. If I don't get what I am paying for, I look for someone else. Eleven pounds in 5 weeks is very good and I hope you continue to have success.

Where do you get a liquid multi Vitamin? I am kind of worried as I take a lot of supplements for a bladder problem. I did dump all the capsules into Water one time, just to find out if it was nasty to take them that way. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

I am hoping with the sleeve, it won't be as hard at it is banded to take stuff. I take a lot of stuff.

The liquid Multivitamin is called Passion 4 Life and I ordered it off the internet. I have switched back to my other multivitamin which is a softgel form and I have had no problems taking it.

Five days and I'll be on the plane heading for my sleeve revision. I made a "to do" list and am rapidly checking off tasks. The time just seems to be flying by but I'll be ready. LOL.

Five days and I'll be on the plane heading for my sleeve revision. I made a "to do" list and am rapidly checking off tasks. The time just seems to be flying by but I'll be ready. LOL.

Don't forget, on your list of things to do you were going to bake me a home made cheesecake. Remember? You DO remember that, right? HAHA

I know how excited you are about getting the band out, life will improve drastically!

I do make a good one... traditional NY style (cream cheese) and graham cracker crust. I think one cake has a trillion calories. LOL. What a way to go! Hey, with the sleeve wouldn't it take forever for you to consume? LOL.

I got a private message asking about the pre-op diet so I figure I would share it here. I am doing the one week sleeve pre-op diet even though I am a bandster revising to a sleeve. Some banded people are required to do a liquid diet (like Susan) depending on the symptoms they have.

This is the diet MY surgeon requires. YOURS might want a different one. The diet for people with a BMI of less than 40 is NO DIET! LOL. Unfortunately, I don't fall into that category. I am in the 40-49 BMI range so my diet is:

1. Unlimited lean beef, chicken, fish

2. Low fat yogurt

3. Protein shakes

4. Protein Bars

The problem is that I am limited to 30 grams of carbs a day. Many Protein Bars and shakes are high carb. I found a soy Protein shake that is 4 carbs per serving and am doing lean chicken and fish to stay right around the 30 gram mark. High Protein and low fat and carbs serve to shrink the liver making doing the surgery easier and safer for the surgeon and the recovery less painful.

Edited by Elisabethsew

Hi Elisabeth, sorry to hear about your band experience. I had my band removed exactly three years after having it installed, almost to the day. Pretty happy with how the sleeve is working for me and hope you have success with it too.

Uh, guys, do we really have to discuss cheesecake right now? Some of us are on liquids only and starving!!! :smile2:

Uh, guys, do we really have to discuss cheesecake right now? Some of us are on liquids only and starving!!! :crying:

HA! True.

Stick to the thicker Protein shakes like whey Gourmet Choco/PB. They are more satisfying. Avoid carbs like the plague because they will just cause blood sugar spikes and make you hungry. High Protein, verrrry low carb. Thick shakes, lots of them! Drink them before you even get hungry.

Turn the TV off, commercials are not your friend now.