Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kissing the Band Bye-Bye! Yes!!!

Hello, I relate to wanting to take the band out, the acid reflux etc. I was a year banded 1/16/08. I am at 12 or more cc's and I vomit daily. My acid reflux is back I have lost about fifty lbs. but that was within the first 4 months. I began to gain when I had Fluid removed. So Now, I have lost 15 lbs in the 2 months since my last fill but sometimes I cant keep Water down. I want the gastric sleeve but my dr doesnt do it, he only does the gastric bypass and I dont want that. I went to a new dr. before my year was up and he told me it was too soon and that he just didnt want to do the sleeve, flat out so I dont know what to do because if Fluid is removed, then I gain but the vomitting and acid reflux is kicking my butt!

I can so relate to you. The first thing I would do is see a gastroenterologist (GI doctor) and have an EGD. You're just NPO (no food/drink) after midnight and then get intravenous (IV) sedation to put you to sleep. The MD will pass a flexible tube (scope) down your throat to look at the first part of the digestive tract (you need a barium swallow to see the mid-portion and a colonoscopy to see the last portion) and determine if you have damage to your esophagus. Depending on your insurance, you may not need a referral.

Call your insurance company and find out the "next step" once you have the results of the EGD. A year will little to no weight loss with the band is considered weight loss surgery failure by many insurance companies and some pay for revisions. When you call the insurance company, ask for a case worker and get his/her name.

If you can afford it, you could always do the self-pay and that puts you in control. The surgeon who banded me does not do the sleeve. I could no longer live the way I am and decided to look into Mexican surgeons. I want THIS surgery to be the LAST surgery so it was very important that I find the BEST surgeon. There are a few to choose from and I will be placing my trust in Dr. Aceves. I did not want to jump through insurance hoops and wait up to a year to build a "paper trail" for the insurance company.

The acid regurgitation and daily vomiting is dangerous and damaging. Please take measures to prevent complications (I'm a nurse) and do whatever you need to. Keep us posted on your progress.

I was wondering what she has a bad feeling about as well.

Thank you! I am running around like crazy trying to get everything done at my full time job, getting my student's work all corrected (part time job) and shopping for all the post-op foods/liquids.

I am going to work at 6:30 PM on 3/30, leaving work early on 3/31 to get to the airport by 8:15 AM, flying 3K miles to CA, and then it's about another 90 minutes or so to the hospital. Between no sleep, a time zone 3 hours different than mine, and the excitement of getting this band out, I bet I sleep well when I finally get to the hotel room. LOL.

I hope you and your mom have a safe flight in and I look forward to meeting you.

Actually, my husband will be going with me now, instead of my mom. I prefer it, he has a very calming affect on me.

I have everything ordered for post-op and am just waiting for UPS to deliver it.

I am like you, I am so excited to get my band out, that I have no nerves at all. I start my liquid diet tomorrow, and am even excited about that. Although, I am sure by Saturday I will be a complete bear to be around.

I hope you have a safe trip as well.

Elizabethsew,

I too, was a band to sleeve revision. I had my band for 2 years and 3 months and revised to a sleeve on 3/11th with Dr Aceves. I went alone and did fine. I feel good, just slightly tired. But I am walking all over the place for at least 45".

I just wanted to caution you about doing too much food shopping preop. Buy stuff in small quantities because your taste changes. For instance, I bought some B12 from GNC that is in a cherry flavored Syrup. I cannot tolerate it at all and had to throw it out. I cannot tolerate anything with any trace of "sweetner" in it. Also, even though I am still on the full liquids, I have to "find" products that I can tolerate. I found some cream of broccoli Soup that my tummy likes and some chicken broth too, but it has definitely been trial and error.

I love the fact that I cannot tolerate "sweet tasting stuff" because my sweet tooth was my downfall before.

Also, you will find that the gastric sleeve is restrictive like the band, but unlike the band, the removal of the ghrelin hormone makes all the difference in the world. I Still do not get hungry....I drink because I have to..

I know I am still newly postop, (it has only been 2 weeks since my surgery), but it has been such a relief to wake up everyday and not have that gnawing hunger. With the band, I was still hungry, so I learned how to eat around it.

i have a bad feeling about it, i wouldn't do it

Perhaps you could elaborate on what it is you're talking about? As you can see, we're all confused.

Elizabethsew,

I too, was a band to sleeve revision. I had my band for 2 years and 3 months and revised to a sleeve on 3/11th with Dr Aceves. I went alone and did fine. I feel good, just slightly tired. But I am walking all over the place for at least 45".

I just wanted to caution you about doing too much food shopping preop. Buy stuff in small quantities because your taste changes. For instance, I bought some B12 from GNC that is in a cherry flavored Syrup. I cannot tolerate it at all and had to throw it out. I cannot tolerate anything with any trace of "sweetner" in it. Also, even though I am still on the full liquids, I have to "find" products that I can tolerate. I found some cream of broccoli Soup that my tummy likes and some chicken broth too, but it has definitely been trial and error.

I love the fact that I cannot tolerate "sweet tasting stuff" because my sweet tooth was my downfall before.

Also, you will find that the gastric sleeve is restrictive like the band, but unlike the band, the removal of the ghrelin hormone makes all the difference in the world. I Still do not get hungry....I drink because I have to..

I know I am still newly postop, (it has only been 2 weeks since my surgery), but it has been such a relief to wake up everyday and not have that gnawing hunger. With the band, I was still hungry, so I learned how to eat around it.

Thank you sooooooooo much for posting and for the tips. The only thing I purchased for the post-op phase is some chicken broth. My sister can get anything else I might need when I get home.

Like you, I do get tired after surgery. After banding I was amazed that people were back to work after just a few days. I was VERY sore (351 pounds at banding) and quite tired. I took a week and a half off from work for the band but only felt like myself again at about 2 weeks post-op.

It sounds like you are doing great. Please keep posting with how the recovery is going and what your experiences are like. I only 3 weeks behind you!

Actually, my husband will be going with me now, instead of my mom. I prefer it, he has a very calming affect on me.

I have everything ordered for post-op and am just waiting for UPS to deliver it.

I am like you, I am so excited to get my band out, that I have no nerves at all. I start my liquid diet tomorrow, and am even excited about that. Although, I am sure by Saturday I will be a complete bear to be around.

I hope you have a safe trip as well.

That's great that your hubby is coming with you and yes, I bet you'll be sick of liquids by the end of the week. LOL. I am finding it very hard to do only 30 carbs a day but got through yesterday and will survive the rest of the week.

Elizabeth and Susan, When you get around to the clear stage, can you let me know what you find and liked to be the best?

I am wondering if I should just order some Unjury unflavored.

Elizabeth, Susan, OregonDaisy,

Don't forget to tell Dr Aceves and Dr Campos that you want your band back. You paid for it, might as well keep it. I looked at mine and said, "So you are the thing that kept me from eating healthy and turned me into a fat bulemic; band induced. I can't believe that thing was inside my body that long, it looks pretty clean and harmless.

I remember thinking the Docs must have cleaned it off before they gave it to me.

Elizabeth and Susan, When you get around to the clear stage, can you let me know what you find and liked to be the best?

I am wondering if I should just order some Unjury unflavored.

I have yet to find a Protein Powder I can tolerate. I did find a soy based Protein Drink that I love but it won't be allowed for the first 10 days. I guess my taste buds are sensitive to the awful taste of Protein. LOL.

Elizabeth, Susan, OregonDaisy,

Don't forget to tell Dr Aceves and Dr Campos that you want your band back. You paid for it, might as well keep it. I looked at mine and said, "So you are the thing that kept me from eating healthy and turned me into a fat bulemic; band induced. I can't believe that thing was inside my body that long, it looks pretty clean and harmless.

I remember thinking the Docs must have cleaned it off before they gave it to me.

I still have mine, too.

On another sleeve board all the band to sleeve people were posting ideas on how we could kill our bands so they could not spread their evil to others. We talked about running them over with trucks, electrocuting them, etc. However, the best suggestion was to use it as a refrigerator lock. If it works the same as on a person nothing will go in and nothing will come out. ;o)

I still think it would be fun to get a whole bunch of us together (Sadly, there are many) and have a "Kill the Band," party.

yes, I am interested in finding out whatever you found you liked or could at least tolerate. It's the clear stage I am worried about.

I know when I am on full liquids, it won't be a problem because I love the Peanut butter/chocolate whey Gourmet.

I still have mine, too.

On another sleeve board all the band to sleeve people were posting ideas on how we could kill our bands so they could not spread their evil to others. We talked about running them over with trucks, electrocuting them, etc. However, the best suggestion was to use it as a refrigerator lock. If it works the same as on a person nothing will go in and nothing will come out. ;o)

I still think it would be fun to get a whole bunch of us together (Sadly, there are many) and have a "Kill the Band," party.

I see this band as a parasite living inside of me. At first, it poses just an annoyance but, as time passes, it slowly sucks the life out of you. That's how I've been feeling. It's draining to not know if you'll be able to sleep at night, how bad the heartburn will be, etc.

Once the parasite is out of me, it dies and I thrive. While that might seem very "dark" to say, it's truly the way I feel.