Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Kansasan Looking for Friends/Support

Hi Everyone, my name is Annie! I am new to this site, I have been reading post's off and on all weekend and have found this so helpful, supportive and informative. I have been researching WLS for a couple of years, and the lap band for about two months. I feel this is the best option for me. I have alot of weight to loose, and probably would loose more on the by-pass but I don't want to put my body through that. Plus with the amount I have to loose it would be safer to loose it slowly. SO, I am self pay. I have been to a couple of seminars in the Kansas City area (I am from Iola!) But I think I have decided to to go Monterrey Mexico. I was a little uneasy at first going to a foreign country but after a lot of research I am much more comfortable. If there are people out there that have gone to Mexico please contact me. Ya know for years I have known I have needed to do something. Like everyone else here, I have tried EVERY SINGLE DIET out there, sure I loose a little but not enough to even come close to the effort I put forth. It took me awhile to get over the feeling of I don't need surgery to loose weight, then I felt I didn't deserve the "easy" way out...finally I came to my senses and relized for one sugery is not an "easy" way out, there is nothing easy about surgery, its terrifying, and too I do deserve it. I am not a bad person because I am overweight. So no this is not the easy way out if anything its harder. But I am happy and excited over my decision.

I am calling today or tomorrow to get my appointment set up in Mexico by Dr. Rumbaut. The people there are so nice and so willing to just chat with you about concerns.

It is so gratifying to read about you guys, and your posts, its so incredibily helpful to know I am not alone and there are others that feel as I do. I don't feel like the minority. Anyways, first I wanted to say THANKS!! and secondly, lets talk!!LOL

I never felt I was taking the easy way out. From the first moment I heard of the band I knew it was for me. I'm a slow loser of weight and at times get frustrated, but I couldn't be happier with the new me.

Good Luck

Hi Annie --

I'm from Lawrence. I've be thinking about making an appointment with a place in Topeka that does lap-banding. For some reason I keep chickening out. I guess I'm afraid that I'll really want to have it done and won't be able to pay for it. I really need to lose a lot of weight so I'm sure I'll take the plunge sooner or later. Keep posting. I look forward to reading about your progress.

Guest Barb B

I am near Hutchinson, Kansas. I too have been looking into the Monterrey Clinic. It helps that my best friend lives just 200 miles from there and I can see her while I am there. Plus I can get her hubby to drive me and do my translating he is with the border patrol and speaks Spanish Fluently. Keep me posted on how it goes. I will be saving up for this forever. Barb

Hi Leah!

Thanks for the response. Here is the way to look at it... YOU DESERVE THIS! Have you been to any of the seminars? I really enjoyed the ones I went to when I was researching this procedure. They helped me to see I am not a bad person because I am fat. I have looked into WLS for a couple of years, like you, I was afraid I wouldn't be able to afford it. AND I wasn't prepared to have my intestines re-routed through by-pass. A friend told me about this lap band thing he heard on the news, so I started to look into it. First off, its alot cheaper then by-pass and I love the idea that its less invasive and adjustable. And the complications post op are much less. I am self pay as well. I don't have ins. and even when I did it didn't cover WLS. Even though I knew it was something I needed to have I wasn't prepared for a very long time to admit to myself none the less to anyone else. Being over weight is a constant struggle in every second of one's life. But you already know that. I decided on Dr. Rumbaut in Monterrey for three reasons, first off, his experience, he has amazing credintials and tons of experience, along with alot experience in higher BMI patients, second was because he himself has the band, he knows how it feels to be us, he knows the day in and day out struggles, thirdly price. He was much cheaper than here in the US however I do know Tallgrass in Topeka is about the price of Dr. Rumbaut. For the first time in my entire life I don't feel ashamed to be me. I don't feel horrible from the mention of myself. I think I feel like this because of these boards, I no longer feel alone. I am so proud of myself and happy for myself to take on this new journey for me! There are several places out there that will finance this surgery, many programs that even offer it. I finally came to the decision I cannot nor will I deny myself this procedure, I cannot NOT afford to have this surgery. I want to live, and I want to be healthy. This is no longer an option. I had to come up with the money. And as you go through the process which I have, you will see that you deserve this more than anything. and you will find a way to pay for it. So hang in there, stay up to date on new information, talk with other etc... there are also some great chat sites on yahoo, one for Kansas lap band patients, I love the people there too! If ever you want to chat message me!

hang in there and Good luck!

ANNIE

Hi Barb

I just wanted to let you know that there are places out there that will do financing. Also if you have any questions about Monterrey or Dr.. Rumbaut please feel free to ask me also I can forward to others that have used him. As well as his US coordinators, one who lives in KC. You would be fortunate to have a friend so close. I have an Uncle in Austin, I thought about driving but have decided to fly. I have been to Mexico but only boarder towns, and even though Mexican is my favorite food, I speak absolutely no spanish! LOL I know a couple of words but nothing I would want to say to them! LOL I am 100% confident in going there for my surgery.

Good luck!

Annie

Hello all, I am a newby. I have thought about some type of WL surgery for several years. Lap Band seems the least invasive so I am considering it. I met a lady Friday that had Lap band in April, she has lost 70 lbs. She said the first couple weeks were rough but worth it. I have an appt for a seminar Oct 25 at the Marriot thru the Midwest Bariatric Ctr. Hubby is going with me. My only concern is I am on Medicare and the doctor wont take that, but the office says medicare will pay for hospital and anesthesia. I do have a secondary ins. and am hoping they will pick up the cost.Any thoughts on that?? I am 50 yrs old & have been overweight most of my life. Have type 2 diabetes,HBP,joint problems,disc problems,depression. Am sick of taking so many meds. and sick of not being able to walk 1/2 a block. Am in fear of dying if I dont get this weight off. Sorry this is so long. But now I'm out there!

Annie, I am new to this forum but have been reading a lot this past week. I am also scheduled for the surgery this week - same day as you. I am having the surgery here in Kansas. I finally gave up on my insurance paying for the surgery and am self-pay. I have tried for a year to get approval and they have continually refused even though they say they cover the surgery. I finally decided that I just needed to take the plunge, take care of ME and pay myself. Good luck with your surgery. I am excited and know you are also.