Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When did the scale finally move for you?

I think you have to pat yourself on the back for even going through with the surgery and working so hard. I was banded 12/10/08 and i felt like i lost the 1st 20 pounds easily. the past 2 months i have only lost about 1-2 pounds a week. when the weight loss is that "slow" it is hard to stay focused.

i just keep trying to tell myself that i didnt gain the extra 100 pounds overnight so even with the band im not gonna lose it overnight its going to be a long process.

i too have been very frustrated lately. and i feel like i have been losing the battle the last couple days. however, this thread motivates me to work harder...knowing that im not the only one out there struggling.

good job for sticking with the diet and exercise. sounds like you are on the right track...you just gotta keep going for the goal!!

I believe this is what they call "banster hell"!! The hungries before you get any restriction. I was banded on 2/25/09, so 2 weeks ago. I lost 6 lbs. the first week post op, but only lost 1 lb. the 2nd week post op. When you first start introducing food back into your diet, the weight loss slows down or comes to a halt. Think of it as your body adjusting to all the new things that have happened. Also, during "bandster hell" you might not lose any weight, but keep in mind, that most people drop a large amount of weight preop and postop. So, remember how fast that weight came off, but also remember that is not "normal" weight loss and that is not how it is going to be from now on! 1-3 lbs. a week (after restriction) is normal and what you want. When I was going to Weight Watchers, they said 2 lbs. a week was the maximum you should lose for a healthy, steady and sustainable weight loss! Hang in there and remember the big picture!!!

I believe this is what they call "banster hell"!! The hungries before you get any restriction. I was banded on 2/25/09, so 2 weeks ago. I lost 6 lbs. the first week post op, but only lost 1 lb. the 2nd week post op. When you first start introducing food back into your diet, the weight loss slows down or comes to a halt. Think of it as your body adjusting to all the new things that have happened. Also, during "bandster hell" you might not lose any weight, but keep in mind, that most people drop a large amount of weight preop and postop. So, remember how fast that weight came off, but also remember that is not "normal" weight loss and that is not how it is going to be from now on! 1-3 lbs. a week (after restriction) is normal and what you want. When I was going to Weight Watchers, they said 2 lbs. a week was the maximum you should lose for a healthy, steady and sustainable weight loss! Hang in there and remember the big picture!!!

Thanks for the encouragement. You are absolutely right. I lost 11 pounds since my surgery. 2/24, but the scale has not moved since I was able to introduce foods. I guess the "old tapes" are playing in my head as I always lost weight the first week on WW, but it always slowed down to a halt in the following weeks, leaving me frustrated and hungry! My first fill is the first week of April, and my doctor is a very supportive sort, so I am going to keep watching my calories until then, stressing Protein, and waiting for some hunger relief from the fill. My daughter and my good friend have done wonderfully well with this tool, and I am sure it will be the same for me once the restriction starts!

I purchased a scale that is digital and shows every part of a pound, so if I lose a point I am happy because I can see a loss. The old scale I had only showed whole pounds and it was so disheartening. I get so excited at .1 pounds lost that I work harder and today I was down 2 pounds from yesterday! I also made a calander so I keep track of the pounds lost for the week and then for the month. It really helps to see what has happened and the progress. At the end of each month is a place to put the grand total weight lost. Because I am so into this, I also keep track on a daily basis of what I weigh. Yup, for me it was that digital scale. The one I have is the glass one from Curves (you can buy it from Avon), only runs about $40. I love it! Keep on working out and best of luck.

I just saw an article on line about an experimental surgery done at the U of West Virginia. A woman had electrical stimulus inserted into her brain to help stimulate the part of the brain that registers fullness. She had had gastric by-pass and lost a large amount of weight (over 200 pounds) but it started creeping back up on her. She is the second person in the US to have this done. I always thought that my brain had a problem registering fullness. Either that, or I had an abnormally large stomach! Anyway, science seems to confirm that appetite comes from the brain, and willpower follows appetite! I think some gastric doctors say the valgus nerve has an affect on the brain's feeling of fullness, and that the band actually can stimulate this nerve once there is some restriction. I wonder whether this brain/nerve connection is inherited? Any thoughts?

I just went through this. Your weight loss will stall for a good month or so until your body gets used to being back on solid foods again. I finally lost 2 lbs 2 weeks ago and I'm getting back on track again. Don't give up. Just keep doing what you're doing your weight loss will pick up again.

I just went through this. Your weight loss will stall for a good month or so until your body gets used to being back on solid foods again. I finally lost 2 lbs 2 weeks ago and I'm getting back on track again. Don't give up. Just keep doing what you're doing your weight loss will pick up again.

Thanks as this information is encouraging. I check the scale daily expecting it to move. It was so exciting to lose ten pounds the first week, and then once I started mushies, one more pound. I am on regular food now, and nothing! I cannot beleive that stupid scale did not know I passed up homemade choclates yesterday at work, and Cookies this morning...it should definitely be much more cooperative with me!

I was banded three days after you 1/30/09. I was stuck at a loss of 15 pounds until last week when I lost five more pounds. It is finally starting to come off again. I have been doing the vibration therapy thing - think that is helping.