Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Let's get this journey started !!

Hello fellow mayo bandito's! I just received my date today! May 6th! Yeah!!! It's amazing how real having a date makes it. I look forward to sharing the journey with everyone.

I too have been practicing chewing and have a difficult time doing so. I decided that starting out with a smaller than average bite helps. Another thing that scares me is sipping Water. I like to chug water. Especially when it's hot and I'm really thirsty I've been practicing and I'll tell myself just to sip, but it is so refreshing that I can't help but chug it.

I agree....eating without taking a sip of liquid will be difficult. I also love to chug my Water.

As a fellow mayo Banditos pointed out, finishing a meal with some sort of "wet" food can help. I do envision myself going into the bathroom and rinsing out my mouth. Hopefully , that will help as well.

We're in it for life....so we can do it. Might seem weird at first, but we can do it.!!!

Oh, yeah, the sipping! I forgot about the sipping. :glare: I love to chug Water also, especially in the morning. Good idea about rinsing out your mouth after a meal! I heard one woman in a support group say she brushes her teeth after each meal... and then watches the clock like a hawk! lol

Hallelujah, Hallelujah, on your date! Hopefully I will be the day after you. :) It does feel good to have a date on the calendar to work toward.

Regarding the chewing, I agree, smaller bites are better. I was eating stir fry last night and took some big bites that after 30 chews, it still needed a lot more chewing to get to the consistency of applesauce, as my doc says it should be.

WOW... the enormity of all of the life changes facing all of us are overwhelming!! But I am so determined that this is IT. The rest of my life is going to be healthy! :)

I'm so excited, I'm about to burst! I just got a call from the surgeon's office and I am definitely approved! My insurance company (CareFirst BlueChoice) approved me in just one HOUR! She said no one has ever been approved that fast. I guess they figured I really, really need it with all my comorbidities. :) So, May 7 it definitely is! :glare:

I go for my final pre-op consultation w/the surgeon on April 28, then start my pre-op Slim Fast diet on April 30. Yummy....

Have a great day, everyone!

Ann - CONGRATS.........:glare:

Look forward sharing the journey with you and all the other mayo Banditos............

Ann - CONGRATS.........:)

Look forward sharing the journey with you and all the other mayo Banditos............

Thanks, John! Same here! :glare:

Hi Everyone!

I too have fought the overweight battle all my life. I have managed to lose weight in the past but always gain back plus extra pounds for my effort. Last June I asked my PC doctor if I qualified for a LapBand. That started my journey.

After a seminar held by the Bariatric Center here in Milwaukee and checking with my insurance if they covered bariatric surgery, I made my first appointments. One with the psychologist, one with the dietician and one with my PC doctor. Insurance required six months physcian supervised diet and exercise program.

Roll forward to February. Completed my monthly visits with the PC doctor and dietician. Met with the surgeon and they forwarded the documents to my insurance company. Because I lost 18lbs., I was now just under 40 BMI and the doctor had told me the insurance may baulk. I was very concerned but to my surprise I got a call in March that all was approved. They wanted to schedule the surgery for April but I was supposed to be out of town the week of the 20th so got a May 6th date. The trip has since been canceled and I'm a little put out by it.

Next week I go for the pre-op procedures at the hospital, meet with the nutritionist on 4/27 and get a physcial from the surgeon's associate on 4/28. No mention of a two week liquid diet and my visits are only a week out.

I'm happy to know that there are so many of us and look for to supporting your journeys as well as getting support from all of you!!!!

Edited by maclynn

Welcome fellow mayo BANDitos..........

We're there for you..........

Dear Maclynn and Hallelujah,

I just got my date... may 6th! I am sooo excited.We look like we are all three similar in terms of age and what we want to lose! Although Mac you must be a shorty girl if you want to get to 124!! I just went to an appt in LA yesterday and I saw FOUR lap band billboards!! I am guessing you two didnt see those in your area but it is really catching on! I have been seeing the TV commercials and in magazines for the Realize but I'm getting the regular lap band...keep in touch ladies...it looks like we are in the same boat! Cali

I dont know why my ticker doesnt show my weight...I will try to change it but I'm not very techno! I weighed in yesterday at 212 at the doc's. I am 5'4"!

I dont know why my ticker doesnt show my weight...I will try to change it but I'm not very techno! I weighed in yesterday at 212 at the doc's. I am 5'4"!

Hi, Cali. If you click on your ticker to go back to all your data, there is a little circle to check if you want your weight displayed. I know because I chose not to display mine right now! :thumbup:

MacLynn, welcome! I know it must be frustrating that your trip has been cancelled. I just got off the phone planning something for May 1 when the phone rang and it was my surgeon's office telling me I could have surgery on April 30. Grrrr.... I had to put it off until May 7. I know that's just a week, but when you're waiting so anxiously, you want it done yesterday!!! But, we're glad to have you here with us as a mayo Bandito! :tt2:

Although Mac you must be a shorty girl if you want to get to 124!! I just went to an appt in LA yesterday and I saw FOUR lap band billboards!! I am guessing you two didnt see those in your area but it is really catching on! I have been seeing the TV commercials and in magazines for the Realize but I'm getting the regular lap band...keep in touch ladies...it looks like we are in the same boat!

LOL Yes, I am quite short at 4'11". Also would love to connect with you and others for encouragement. Thank so much for saying 'Hi'.

Forgot I wanted to say we've not had any billboard here yet advertising. I'm sure it's only a matter of time!

mac

MacLynn, welcome! I know it must be frustrating that your trip has been cancelled. I just got off the phone planning something for May 1 when the phone rang and it was my surgeon's office telling me I could have surgery on April 30. Grrrr.... I had to put it off until May 7. I know that's just a week, but when you're waiting so anxiously, you want it done yesterday!!! But, we're glad to have you here with us as a mayo Bandito! :tt2:

Thank you so much, Ann (SpideyMom). You and Cali have made me feel so welcome. This is what I was hoping would happen when I joinded up here. I am happy to be a Mayo Bandito.:thumbup:

I'm sorry you got the chace for an earlier date and had to put it off. I was doing so good being pateint for the past eight months and now I just want May 6th to be here!

Edited by maclynn

Probably no margaritas for us on Cinco de Mayo...we'll be in deep preop mode!! I figured out the ticker thing. Oh, and if anyone wants to know I just cut and pasted (stole!) the banditos logo into my signature under CP and saved it...stole it from John...Thanks John!!!...Cali