Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Let's get this journey started !!

Hi Everyone -

My name is John and I'm 51 yrs old. Have struggled with my weight for years.....Have been over 300 lbs for the last 10 yrs. Reached my highest weight this past January of 337 lbs. HAVE HAD ENOUGH..........Currently I'm 312 lbs with a BMI of 42. I'm tired of the yo-yo diets........

A resent untrasound shows I have alot of Gallstones so I will probably will have my Gallbladder removed at the same time.

Currently seeing all of the Doctors/Nutritionist required by Aetna as I'm involed in their 3 month pre-surgical program. It requires monthly visits to my Primary Doctor, Nutritionist, a Personal Trainer and the Psychologist.

I am seeing Dr. Fielding @ NYU . I see Dr. Fielding on 3/25/09 and hopefully will get a surgery date which should be early May.

Can't wait to get past the surgery...............:blush:

I'm with you John. I really want to get past the surgery. I should have a May date as well. I have had post Ileus every time I've had surgery so I am really hoping that doesn't happen.

I am 57, having surgery at West Penn Bariatric Center in Pittsburgh, and have Highmark BC/BC.

I will see the doc again, have the psych eval, and see the nutritionist on Tue. At that point I think I will have jumped through most of the insurance hoops. Another monthly visit to my PCP and I should be ready.

My BMI is 40.1 and I have hypertension. The insurance requirements are BMI 40, or 35 with other health conditions.

My blood pressure is mostly controlled with medication, so I am worried about falling below the 40 mark. As a result I have lost no weight since I started. My doc says that is ok because I am so borderline. Yet I am still worried about approval. I will be so glad when this part of the process is over.

I'm not too worried about the liquid diet part. A few years ago I did a 5 shake a day, medically controlled, program for just over 100 days. It's a pain in the ___ but doable. I lost 55 lbs in that time, but you know, as soon as you start eating you start gaining.

I hope this is the ticket for both of us.

Thanks for posting. We are the first May folks to post.

I just got a date last week and am glad to finally know that my new journey starts on May 28. I completed all of my required appointments in Feb, the clinic sent in all my paper work to the insurance company, and I was approved last week. :confused:

I had my psych eval on Tuedsay and got my date. May 20th for me. Getting the date makes it very real.

I have a couple of appts with my PCP, one more with Dr. Urbandt and pre op on April 30th, then everything goes to the insurance co. for approval.

West Penn has done over 3000 of these and is rated #1 in Pennsylvania. They say everything is in order for approval. They seem to know what they are doing.

Oh my, time is moving right along.

I'll be a bandster before I know it. WOW

Edited by rguay

Hi May bandsters---I am also hoping to be banded in May. My paper work is at the insurance company (Tricare Prime) and I am expecting to hear any day. This process took so much longer than I had anticipated, but maybe that is a good thing. Gave me plenty of time for soul-searching and positive self-talk about how I can make a committment to this.

I have a question for you--what % of your weight is your doctor telling you to expect to lose?. Each visit I have at my bariatric center (Cleveland Clinic) they seem to emphasize keeping my expectations "modest" meaning 40-60% of the weight I need to lose. I was surprised at this--you would think they would want to emphasize the % of folks who lose the whole amount.

I am 61 and decided to do this because of HTN, prediabetes, and arthritis--I want an active retirement and having a BMI of 47 makes that so much more difficult.

Looks like our group has two dates already set--May 20th and May 28th--I hope to join you soon

Rebecca - I'm glad you got your date....Congrats:thumbup: Does your Doctor require you to start a liquid diet ? and when would you need to start it?

Beza - The Doctors at NYU stated you can lose approx 60-70% of your excess body weight. I would think that if your adjustments are on the money, I dont see why we couldn't lose more towards the 70% mark.

My appt is next Wednesday with my surgeon so hopefully I'll have a surgery date. My Doctor requires a 2 week liquid diet prior to surgery to help shrink the liver and make the surgery easier. Also, for me, my gallbladder will be removed.

I just got a date last week and am glad to finally know that my new journey starts on May 28. I completed all of my required appointments in Feb, the clinic sent in all my paper work to the insurance company, and I was approved last week. :tongue_smilie:

Siouxhockeyfan - Congrats...on your approval. Let me ask you how long did it take for your insurance company to give you an approval?

John337 - It only took about 3 weeks. I went in for my meeting with the dietician, program coordinator, psych consult, and surgical consult all in the same day.

That's great. I see the Doctor tomorrow so hopefully I'll get a surgery date.

Hi john,

No one has said anything about a liquid diet yet. I hope not. If I do then I just will.

Like I said before, I went that route for over 100 days once, and I do not care to do it again. From what I read on the West Penn Bariatric site, I will only be on a liquid diet one week after surgery. I can live with all the rest.

Let us know if you get you date tomorrow.

Take Care

Hello all! This is my first and definitely not my last post.....I got my surgery date last week for May 15th (God willing)!!! I'm in Chicago and going through Mercy Hospital, Dr. Rosett is my surgeon. Honestly, Im sick and tired of being overweight. I lose then gain then lose then gain 2x.

I have my psyche appt tomorrow and then the dr appt the week after. I've started my not so fun diet because I have to lose 8-10 lbs prior to the surgery and 2 wks before the surgery I have to do the liquid (slim fast) diet. Im so excited about finally being able to break out of this "jail"!!!!

Hey all! I'm still hoping for an April date (the sooner the better), but since I'm just applying for approval in the next couple weeks, I might end up in May. So I had to pop in and say hello! I just can't wait!

Hi all,

Dr. Urbandt's office called last night to change my surgery date. Now it is May 27th. Another week to wait. I also lost the the extra day I would have had for the Monday holiday.

Oh well, I guess things happen for a reason. At least it's still May. I just want to get the surgery part over.

Take Care

Hi all,

Dr. Urbandt's office called last night to change my surgery date. Now it is May 27th. Another week to wait. I also lost the the extra day I would have had for the Monday holiday.

Oh well, I guess things happen for a reason. At least it's still May. I just want to get the surgery part over.

Take Care

HI ALL, Got my surgery date - 5/11/09. Will start a liquid diet on 4/27/09. THe liquid diet is to reduce the fat in and arond the liver which will make the operation go easier. Dr. Fielding will also remove the gall bladder. Pre-op testing scheduled for 4/30/09. The Aetna approval will be requested after my last ( next) visit with my primary on 4/13/09.