Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just got banded yesterday

Hi Ziggy, thanks for posting! Seriously, that poster who said they felt like you are feeling for five years was likely someone who exaggerates things and is likely not happy with the band (some aren't).

PLEASE don't let negative comments command your way of thinking. Just remember, the 1st week is not easy, you are recovering from a surgery. And with any surgery, you need to relax, take your pills, take it easy and it WILL get better!

I was in EXACTLY your position nearly one month ago and it scared the hell out of me thinking I was going to feel that way. But every single day I got monumentally better. My thinking was very clear, my body healed very quickly, I am eating and drinking just like I did pre-band (with obvious modifications and portion control) and live my life EXACTLY the same just 10000% better than I did one month ago. It was the BEST decision I've ever made.

Just let yourself heal, be gentle, take your pain meds, and you will be saying this to someone else next month! Hang in there! :biggrin:

Thanks Colorado :biggrin: I'm just a little frustrated! I hate being incapacitated (don't we all). I'm just taking it one minute at a time. I sincerely hope I will be the one giving such upbeat advice to our next wave of bandsters!

Thanks everyone for your responses. It's getting better; I just find myself restless as hell, unable to relax without pain meds, and unable to eat/drink much without that uncomfortable pressure in the middle of my chest. I'm so thirsty, but time myself to only take a tiny sip every minute, but even doing that I get the horrible pressure.

I know I'm only three days out and its too early to know how I ultimately will react to this, but there was a poster on a different thread that said she basically felt this way for 5 years!! No way. If I still feel this way in 3 months I'm having it removed. This is no way to live.

Ziggylove, I'm so sorry you feel so bad. I can tell you that it will pass, but in the interim...

when you say eat/drink much, you aren't actually EATING are you? Because post op I think most of us are only on Clear liquids, then full liquids, and mushies usually (everyone IS different, I'm generalizing) around week 3. So you are probably still just on Clear Liquids?

Walking helps, but that doesn't mean a marathon. Do what you feel like. Even if it is just to change chairs in your den or whatever, the more you move, the better it is for you. You probably have so much restriction because you are swollen from the surgery and time will help that. (unless your doc is one of those who fills you in the OR? thank God mine didn't)

Deep deep breathing will help. It may (probably will) hurt at first, but it will help oxygenate you and just generally keep you feeling better. Using your incentive spirometer, if you have one, is great for that, but otherwise just take 3-4 deep breaths every 20 minutes or so. It helped relieve that too too tight feeling in my chest.

As to your restlessness, that may be emotional/psychological or it may be a side effect of a medicine. Do you have liquid tylenol for your pain? Have you tried substituting it for your more heavy duty stuff? (often tylenol works as well or better)

Also do you have something not too strenuous that you enjoy that you can do? Anything that will take your mind away from the band. It is a BIG deal and you've worked long and hard to get it, but you need a break. Watch a comedy movie you like, read, phone a friend, do something to make you laugh (that will help your innards, too, aside from the endorphin and psychological good effects!).

Lastly be nice to yourself. Give yourself a break, and give yourself a chance. You had surgery, you are only a few days post op, you feel like manure, and it is probably all a little bleak, if not downright frightening. You will NOT feel this way for 3 months; you won't feel this way for one month. I don't mean to be a Pollyanna; you may decide you hate the band and want it out. That's the point, though; you are still in total control. It may seem like you've made horrible choices because you feel bad, but that will pass.

If you can go get a massage, or have a friend rub your neck (someone with good strong hands) that will help. Gas X strips MAY help. Just do what you need to. It will get better.

Ziggylove, I'm so sorry you feel so bad. I can tell you that it will pass, but in the interim...

when you say eat/drink much, you aren't actually EATING are you? Because post op I think most of us are only on clear liquids, then full liquids, and mushies usually (everyone IS different, I'm generalizing) around week 3. So you are probably still just on clear liquids?

Nope, doing liquid diet. Trying to get in Protein shakes and such, to make sure I have enough Protein. The paper they sent home with me indicates I should have 3 a day, I'm lucky if I choke down 1, popsicle, broth and some crystal light.

Walking helps, but that doesn't mean a marathon. Do what you feel like. Even if it is just to change chairs in your den or whatever, the more you move, the better it is for you. You probably have so much restriction because you are swollen from the surgery and time will help that. (unless your doc is one of those who fills you in the OR? thank God mine didn't)

Definitely no restriction yet, per the doctor. So I'm happy about that, haha! I look forward to being less swollen, just to feel "normal" for a bit. I also walk a lot; part of the restlessness.

Deep deep breathing will help. It may (probably will) hurt at first, but it will help oxygenate you and just generally keep you feeling better. Using your incentive spirometer, if you have one, is great for that, but otherwise just take 3-4 deep breaths every 20 minutes or so. It helped relieve that too too tight feeling in my chest.

I've been doing my deep breathing, not as often as they suggest though (the nurse told me 10 times per hour; I do maybe 1-2 times per hour). I've finally gotten it back up to the suggested area on the spirometer, so I'm happy! And you're right, it does help disperse the gas and such.

As to your restlessness, that may be emotional/psychological or it may be a side effect of a medicine. Do you have liquid tylenol for your pain? Have you tried substituting it for your more heavy duty stuff? (often tylenol works as well or better)

I'm taking the liquid acetometophen...which I assume is a variation of vicodin? Not sure. I didn't think about it being a possible side effect of medicine, interesting. Also taking prevacid once a day and prochlorperazine for nausea every 6 hours.

Also do you have something not too strenuous that you enjoy that you can do? Anything that will take your mind away from the band. It is a BIG deal and you've worked long and hard to get it, but you need a break. Watch a comedy movie you like, read, phone a friend, do something to make you laugh (that will help your innards, too, aside from the endorphin and psychological good effects!).

I enjoy being on the computer :thumbup: Today is the first day I've felt well enough to actually read and respond to many different posts. And it is good to keep my mind off things!

Lastly be nice to yourself. Give yourself a break, and give yourself a chance. You had surgery, you are only a few days post op, you feel like manure, and it is probably all a little bleak, if not downright frightening. You will NOT feel this way for 3 months; you won't feel this way for one month. I don't mean to be a Pollyanna; you may decide you hate the band and want it out. That's the point, though; you are still in total control. It may seem like you've made horrible choices because you feel bad, but that will pass.

If you can go get a massage, or have a friend rub your neck (someone with good strong hands) that will help. Gas X strips MAY help. Just do what you need to. It will get better.

Thanks for all your suggestions, RestlessMonkey, and I want to thank everyone again for their kind words. I'm so lucky I found this board before I had surgery! :)