Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Consideration Time Leading to Consult?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Consideration Time Leading to Consult?

• Six months or less
    • Seven months to a year
    • One - Two years
    • Two or more years

I would say I thought about it off and on for about two years. While it's good to have a good support system around you, you can't tell everyone of your desire to have WLS. I think two years ago, I told a few people who were close to me of my desire to have the lap band and they eventually talked me out of it! This go round, I only told my husband and my children, initially. I had the surgery on 1/14/09 and those same negative people are still negative, but I know I made the right decision for me.

I considered it a month or two before surgery. That was when I started doing the real research. Let's face it, there aren't many WLSs to pick from so research on the appropriate surgery for me went very quick. From there I started figuring out where to have the surgery and how much to pay.

I think I was against it years ago and did a medically supervised Protein fast instead. A couple years and significant gain, I started to give surgery some real thought. I looked at my mom w/ her diabetes... 3 toe amputations, heart surgery, long hospital stays for blood infections, shunt implants, and 3 days a week of dialysis due to kidney failure. I realized that this single medical procedure now could save me MANY medical procedures in the future. I knew Lapband was for me after research on how it worked.

I started a weight loss program with md with no thoughts of surgery and about 2.5 months into it I stopped losing AGAIN as always and I just so happened to see a comercial for the band and I was like OMG thats for me (I had never heard of it) I stayed on the internet that whole weekend..learned everything I got and saw an MD the next week....then I just had to weight the last 3 months to finish my md sup diet..that was the longest 3months ever :cursing:

just under 2 yrs. My doctor recommended it, starting looking into it and decided I wanted to wait, give diet another try. At same time found out my ins would not cover. After the year, the diet had not worked, again, changed onto my wife's ins.

My surgery is scheduled for the 27th. I start my pre-op diet this Friday. I think the wait has given time to learn a lot more about the surgery and the changes we need to commit to in order to be successful. even though I had chosen to wait initially, once I decided to go ahead, the further delays and wait for ins etc... seems long. I'm ready to get going.

When I really paid attention to the commercials in the fall of 2007. Then in January attended my first seminar after talking with my PCP who said I was an excellent candidate for Lap Band. so it was less than 6 months. I am very very happy and feel better than I have in 20 years.

Best thing I ever did besides marry my husband LOL

I went to a theme park with my kids, and couldn't get fit in the seat of a ride. I decided that day to have the surgery, I called my insurance company that Monday to find out if they covered it. I attened a seminar the next week, filled out my paperwork and had my first appointment the end of that same month. From the day I decided until my surgery (Wed, Feb 11) it was less than 4 months!

My family Dr suggested it 6 months prior to when I decided to do it.

It was actually my younger brother, who's been diagnosed with diabetes, finding out that his wife was pregnant, and knowing he's concerned that because of his illness, he will not see the child into adulthood, that made me eventually decide to bite the bullet and do it.

My doctor first suggested WLS about 5 years ago. I felt insulted and humiliated and hated my doctor and considered changing doctors. For about half a day. Then I took a good long look at reality. Made a couple more attempts at doing it "myself", and with help from RX diet pills. At one time, in 2005, I lost 42 pounds. Then I had to have a fourth (long story) huge wrist surgery. Was in a long arm cast for two months, major pain meds, months of rehab/physical therapy, lots of comfort eating. Lots of meals made by my mom and mother-in-law and husband. By the time it was all over, once again I had regained all that I had lost , and then some. I felt sorry for myself for awhile and made a few more half-hearted attempts at weight loss, then in early 2008, suffered a back injury that I am still dealing with and always will be. Dislocated L5 vertebra. Even with cortisone injections every few months, exercise and my "normal life" is very difficult and some days nearly impossible. So, in March 08 in an attempt to regain my health I told my doctor I was ready to do it. I take 5 different Rx's for health issues and deal with the back problem. I saw the Lap Band surgeon in June 08, and since then have completed the required 6 month doctor supervised diet and exercise program, the dietician and psych evaluations and now I am just waiting for my insurance approval. I have done countless hours of research, attend the support group meetings at my surgeons office and have been reading these and other forums for months. So. The short answer would be 5 years. A LOOOONG 5 years. :thumbdown:

About 2 months for me. I took a look at my daughter playing on the floor one day and decided that enough is enough. I attended a seminar at the hospital and I was all set. I am now in month 5 of my 6 month pre-op diet and exercise program and have seen the sugeon already and was told I was a good case to have the band. Need 2 more weigh in's, NUT. and PSY. consult and everything will be submitted to the insurance.

It was a couple of years of research and fear before I actually worked up the nerve to speak to my PC.

Thats great mike...do you have a surgery day yet or are you just getting started? What made you decide to have the lapband? Good luck!!

I had seen a few ads for gastric bands about a year or so before I made my decision to get a band. I thought I wouldn't be eligible because I didn't have any co-morbidities and I was under 40 bmi. After trying to lose 20 lbs during the course of the year (that was my first goal), and seeing the scale move just a tad then back up again, I decided to see if there was anyway I would be eligible for the surgery. It turns out, that when you have no WLS insurance, and you have to pay out of pocket, the rules aren't quite so stringent. I researched some before the first seminar I attended the first of June, and after that, I was determined that this would work for me. I signed up for LBT and started asking questions, attended the hospital's support group meetings, and I read, read and read some more. I was pretty much as prepared as could be by the time I had surgery three months later. Of course, as much as you think you know, there's always a surprise or two that pops up. LBT and the support group meetings are great resources for those times.

Hi All,

It took me 2 years. My primary doctor suggested it to me but at that time I thought it was too drastic of a thing to do... Now I regret that I waited. To think I could have lost so much weight by now... it is mind boggling.

I love my band.

Got weighed today and I lost 7.5 which makes my total since August 08 69 pounds.... I LOVE MY BAND!!!!!