Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone. hope you're all feeling good! I was banded 1/20/08 and have a couple of questions. How long is it normal to feel pain at the port site at every move (sitting down, getting up, bending a bit...) and how long have you stayed on your pain meds? I find that 3 1/2 hours after my last pain medication I wake up feeling in pain (am i becoming an addict?) If I do take my prescribed oxycodone, it just puts me right to sleep and then I can't eat and drink like i should be and then i feel dizzy and weak. anybody out there - what are you doing. should i just get off any pain meds, should i try to space them more?

generally i fell ok. i just keep wondering if there are people out there who return to work after 3 days, so maybe something is wrong with me that i feel like sleeping and resting most of the day!!??

love to hear some advice!!

I was banded on 1/14

Three words--everyone is different!!!

Remember that, don't feel lazy for being 5 days out and not wanting to do anything because

everyone is different!

I start back to work tomorrow and couldn't think of going back after only 3 days or so--madness!

I've only been able to sleep on my port side for the last few nights. I don't have port pain all the time now but it's still there (just a lot lighter now)

As far as your pain meds--ask your surgeons office if you can -cut them in half (if they are pills)

-can have something not quite so strong (but still stronger then OTC medicine) or

-try something OTC and see if that helps (again, ask the surgeons office)

Good luck dear--I've found that it does get better every day

I had problems with pain meds during my recovery at the hospital. I felt dizzy, weak, and nauseas.

The doctor gave me an anti-nausea patch to wear, which really helped me tolerate the pain meds. Anyway, after I was released from the hospital, I took liquid lori-tab for pain. So, I slept. I slepted a lot, which is good for recovery. When I was not sleeping, I was taking short walks and drinking fluids.

I stopped taking the liquid lori-tab on day 5 post-op, which was my 3rd day at home from the hospital. I was sore, but not in pain. I took liquid Tylenol for the soreness.

By day 7-post op, I felt great. I was driving, cleaning, and shopping on day 7. Again, I was sore, but not in pain. As far as returning to work in three days after surgery, I could not do that. I stayed home for two-weeks.

If you are in pain, then take the pain meds as they will help you rest, thereby allowing your body to recover. When your are not sleeping, ingest your fluids.

Good luck!

Hi! I was banded on 1/21/09 & the first 3 days were the same as yours. pain meds. every 3 1/2 hrs.& sleeping. i tried to sleep off the excruciating gas pains in my neck area. I the started alternating the percocet with reg. strength tylenol. using Gas-X strips & a heating pad on my neck & chest & today I'm a new woman. I too thought something was wrong with me for not feeling better after the 3 days. I go back 2 work on Tuesday & hope I can manage. still have port pain @ every move....But it will get better. Good Luck. Keep in touch.

If you walk that should help with your pain some. I know it seems counter-intuitive but it's true. It can help prevent adhesions etc. Good to move around.

And you're probably already doing this but get a pillow to hold across your torso. It helps brace your surgical sites so they don't pull and don't hurt as much. ICE pads can also help (no heat though....at least not on your abdomen...can accelerate the sutures dissolving)

And for your pain; have you tried liquid tylenol? They have it for adults (or tylenol capsules if you can take them; I could but some can't) Watch your meds because too much tylenol can be dangerous and many combo pain meds (like Darvocet or Lortab or Hydrocodone) have tylenol in them. If you just take the tylenol you get analgesic effects without being put to sleep. It provides great pain relief for many; so try it if you can.

Honestly if you really are just drugging and sleeping, making yourself walk around a bit will do wonders for you. Aside from mentally starting to feel a little more "normal" (and that is a big kick, let me tell you!) it is physiologically GREAT for your body.

Stay hydrated and hang in there! It gets better. We all heal at different rates but some of these ideas should help you. And I'm a nursing student (soon to graduate, yay!) so these tips are what you'd be told if you were my patient. We're taught that a patient who is worried about becoming addicted to pain meds isn't addicted! :confused: So you're safe. But the liquid tylenol may help the pain but leave you awake and feeling better all around.

Take care of yourself!

And usually it takes a bit more than 5 days to become addicted to the drugs they give us post op so that is not a worry for you.

I wasn't in pain, just a lot of discomfort. The port area was really tough when getting up and down out of the bed. I tried not to use my stomach muscles when possible to lessing the pain. The 2nd day was my worse day and the 3rd was better. I was out of work for a week and had to be careful with stretching and lifting for a few weeks. all went well. my port dosn't bother me at all unless I lean up against the bar, a board or table or something. My port did flip just a little bit so it is a little lopp-sided, but no big deal. I love my band. It keeps me straight. It is tough sometimes when I can't eat or have trouble but atleast I am wearing size 8 now instead of 24. it's great

Hello, I am currently waiting for my insurance co. for authorization for my surgery date with Dr.Pucci. How did you like the way everything went with him and his staff, and what insurance did u have and how long did u have to wait

I will admit that I felt the port pain for more than a week. Heck, I stayed off work for 4 weeks after my surgery (I don't think that is the norm, but I have a physical job). I did move to the liquid extra strength tylenol on about day 3 just because I was tired of the druggy feeling. Give yourself time. Everyone heals at a different pace. You will do fine. Good luck to you!

thank you everyone for the response. I didn't take my prescribed pain meds today and i'm doing fine. not that i'm totally off any meds, i'll take as needed, maybe at night before bed and i'll try the tylenol. I think that part of what i needed to hear was that the pain is normal you know getting in and out of bed and other moods. Lots of people just post that they're feeling great and i became worried that maybe my pains mean my band slipped or something. i'm walking around as much as i can and am actually feeling better today than any other day till now!! i can't wait till i can say - i dont feel my part only if i put pressure against it!

anyway, don't think i'm regretting the band. overall, i'm feeling fine, not hungry, some chest pain but not intolerable and keeping some food and liquids down. so good luck to all of you and keep in touch!!

banded 4 days ago, first night slept on my back, from then on can only sleep on my port side with pillows under same side, was on codeine for 2 days for being uncomfortable but no pain..im finding walking helps alot & its great seeing the weight still coming off :confused:

I had my surgery on the 19th and went back to work the 23rd. After a half day (office job) I realized I wasn't quite ready and headed home. EVERY day I feel better, and today, I was up driving, shopping and cleaning my house from 6am to 2pm :confused: My port is still tender, and I have some chest pressure at times (thinking this is gas) but other than that I almost feel normal :sneaky: I am eating soft/pureed foods with no problem, but having a hard time getting all the Protein & Water I need. Anyway, I assume I am in what poster's call Bandster Hell (1st month of surgery??) and cannot wait until I can eat normal foods again and get my protein w/meat & veggies. Keep us updated as to how you're doing!

thanks for everyone's reply. i'm doing fine, but i still got one worry. every time i bend a little and i feel pain in my site i worry about band slippage or other problems. i'm off pain meds and i did a bit of light housework today and now i'm relaxing and feeling a bit of pain. does anyone else worry about hurting themselves and not knowing. should i just knock it out of my head and allow myself to be sore a couple of more days? i know i sound like i'm rumbling but i did hear a couple of horror stories and am worrying about it... please respond with some advice. thanks so much...:blush:

thanks for everyone's reply. i'm doing fine, but i still got one worry. every time i bend a little and i feel pain in my site i worry about band slippage or other problems. i'm off pain meds and i did a bit of light housework today and now i'm relaxing and feeling a bit of pain. does anyone else worry about hurting themselves and not knowing. should i just knock it out of my head and allow myself to be sore a couple of more days? i know i sound like i'm rumbling but i did hear a couple of horror stories and am worrying about it... please respond with some advice. thanks so much...:thumbup:

I actually believe in "mind over matter", however, if you feel like you may be hurting youself, or if you have any questions at all, DEFINITELY at least call your Dr. I had some "minor" questions that were kind of bugging me so I called my Dr. Much to my relief (and exactly what I was thinking) everything (and I brought up every single detail) I was experiencing was normal. But just hearing it from my Dr. made everything alright.

It sounds like the pain you are having is perfectly normal, everyone heals at a different pace, but in any event, pick up the phone and ease your mind. It makes a world of difference!:thumbup: