Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need Your Support Right Now :(

Hi everyone,

Went to the doctor and got another 1 cc fill today. I've lost a whopping 20 pounds since my surgery on 8/13/08.

I see that some of you are doing so well! I know each of us is individual. I hear the doctor reminding me that we knew going into this that I would be a tough patient in terms of really earning each pound I lost and that I wouldn't likely lose a lot very quickly. And with my medical history, including another pretty interesting and intense something that kept me down this fall, I don't want to lose too fast.

I'm just down. I really want to lose the weight already! I haven't been allowed at the gym since Thanksgiving until a few days ago, so it will take me another week to get up to speed there again and be able to go and then probably several weeks until I'm well enough to actually work out for my normal 90 or so minutes (I developed a condition called pseudotumor cerebri - where my body was making too much spinal Fluid for some unknown reason, and it really had me quite debilitated for several months).

Coming to you looking for "aw, Amy, hang in there - you'll get there" from you. OK, how much more direct can I be? LOL. Not really having a pity party here, but still could use some bolstering up from my fellow August bandsters.

Thanks a heap. I really need it. My doctor thinks that I'll lose between 35-50% of my target weight by 12 months. Grrr....

Hi Amy,

Sorry to hear things haven't been going so well but sounds like things are starting to improve some. Try and stay positive and take each day one at a time. (i know its hard and can be really frustrating) I started exercising this month and instead of losing I gained four pounds. I made them weigh me twice and cried all the way home. Look at it this way that's 20 pounds that is gone for good. :thumbup: We didn't gain it over night so its night going to come off over night.

I hope you start feeling better soon. Hope I helped some!:smile:

Banded Aug. 27, 2008

Dr. Belott

Oh, Amy! Please hang in there! I'm really proud of your 20lbs actually! You've been down this fall and instead of gaining, you kept losing. We all knew this was going to be hard going in. Just sometimes reality is a bit harder than we thought it would be.

I was banded the 25th and have lost about 21lbs since then. I read of others who've lost 50, 70 or more since August and it does tug on me. But I do have to remember that we ARE all different. I also have to remember that before I started Kaiser's program, I'd been fooling with the same FOUR POUNDS for about 8 months!!!! UGH!

This is a journey, sometimes hard, sometimes easy, but one we've embarked on for our health.

Please keep reminding yourself about how far you've come. You're doing a GREAT job!!!

Hugs!

Hi Amy,

I so feel for you. I got my band on Aug. 27th and I have lost 36lbs so far but it's been so hard fought. I feel like I should have lost more.

I believe with all my heart that the exercise makes such a difference. That is also one of those things that doesn't happen over night, so be patient with yourself my dear...it will come....

Take care and happy excercising!

Kathy S.

Amy~ You can do this! Just think, you are starting to feel better and able to get back to your exercise. The weight will start coming off!

We are all here for you, so stay in touch and let us know how you are doing!

Amy,

hell, you've had it tough, matey. That you lost when you've managing with a debilitating condition is an inspration!

We're all made up differently too, and we all have our differences in how our bodies react to exercise and new ways of eating. Some of us start out with a half decent metabolism, and yet others with a really sluggish one that needs time to get 'revved' back up.

So we're all going to go at different paces. And that's normal. The main thing is that we keep losing, and if you're losing, you're a success, no matter what.

Thanks everyone for your replies - they really ARE helping!

I will keep working on the patience thing. It is so hard. When I was younger I could lose weight by thinking about it, LOL. Now I fight and fight for every ounce.

Bless you all. You are the best!

"aw, Amy, hang in there - you'll get there!!" ... copied it right from your post! I'm good at following directions! hahaha! (just kiddin around)

But seriously, I completely understand. I finally hit the 20-pound mark last week and also had my surgery in August (the 26th). I was convinced (before surgery) that all these pounds would just melt away after surgery. I have had a huge dose of reality since surgery, and am finally making peace with the fact that it's up to ME and only ME. A hard reality, although it seems like common sense, for me to acknowledge. But as they say, the first step to solving your problem is admitting you have a problem.

Just check in here regularly and we'll keep an eye on each other, okay??!! Take care!

Amy,

Wow - 20 lbs with a condition you are having? That is fantastic! You should be very happy on what you have accomplished so far.

Being in the gym is what has gotten me so far so fast. I am now seeing the plateau which is very frustrating to me. I need to kick things up a notch so I can start to see some kind of loss.

Together we can all do this!

Amy Sweetie, I'm right in here with you.

I was banded on the 28th and am still swapping the same 2 lbs back and forth! I'll admit that I'm hugely frustrated. :biggrin: I've had 5 fills and they weren't little. I knew that it wouldn't be like I had a bypass but, sheesh, you know? Today is my 40th birthday. I could throw myself an "over the hill" pity party but instead I am celebrating. I figure that I'm 20# lighter than I have been in years, and that by my 41st I will have permanently said goodbye to even more lbs.

Let's keep our chins up. It looks like there are a bunch of us in the same boat. I've stayed away from posting mostly because I didn't want people to look at my pitiful ticker! Now I know that I'm not alone and that we'll be here for each other. Look at all of the wonderful band-buddies who have been brave enough to come out to support you! :thumbup:

Lanakila

Dear Amy,

I was banded on the exact same day as you, August 13. I have only lost 20 pounds as well. I have had 3 fills. It is very discouraging. I also had foot surgery August 7th that kept me from exercising at first. Then I had another minor surgery(biopsy) a week after the lap-band surgery. So, basically I had 3 surgeries that month. I was beginning to feel like a slab of meat being sliced and diced. Anyway, I have been working with a personal trainer 2 days/2 hours a week and exercising on my own as much as i can. He took my measurements and i have lost 2 & 1/2 inches in my waist and 5 inches in my hips however i am still only down 20 pounds. It is very discouraging. When I went in for my last fill, I had gained 4 pounds over the holidays. My trainer says that the fact that i have lost so many inches and not lost pounds means that i have put on a lot of muscle which means that my metabolism is higher, so hopefully the scale will start to move down. But, i understand how it feels to see others losing so much weight and you and i are not. It is disappointing. I paid cash for my surgery and have only lost 20 pounds. Sometimes I feel like I totally wasted the money. I am hoping that by March 13(my birthday) and 7 months exactly after the surgery I will have lost a significant amount of weight. But even if i don't I am still going to love myself. I know it is hard to be patient. I am right there with you. Hang in there girl!

Amy, hang in there. As everyone has said we're all different and I'm sure you didn't do this for short term goals. As long as you stick to good eating habits you should start to lose. Also remember that the gym isn't the only place you can get exercise, walking outside is also good for you!! I'd much rather take a 30 - 45 min walk with the dog than sit in the gym on the bike or treadmill.

Hope you're being cheered up Amy!! I can imagine how frustrating it must be when you don't lose as you've expected but like everyone has said, you've had it pretty rough!

Now you can focus on moving the weight loss along, I hope you see some results soon!

Hi Amy,

Just checking in to see how you are doing this week? Hope your are feeling better.

Take Care