Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Friday, January 23, 2009

Hello All ~ I've been looking around on this site for days and have actually posted in other places, but I just found this particular forum... I too had my surgery on 1/23. The first 2 days were very difficult in that I was hungry. I had a lot of gas and diaherra (sp?). On the last night of Clear liquids, I finally couldn't take it anymore and drank about 3oz of Protein drink. This helped a lot and other than more gas etc., I didn't have any problems. I've had some pain in the incision areas, especially in the port location - but haven't had to take any pain meds, though they were prescribed. I had to take some liquid Tylenol last night, cause I felt a headache coming on, but still crossing my fingers that no pain meds yet. Taking the liquid Vitamins and having to crush up my other meds (associated with other health issues) has been a chore in the morning. Mainly cause the stuff tastes awful Yuk! I've had some tightness... I guess you could call it that, but walking has helped with this. I'm back to work today, though it snowed so we closed early. I'm walking around a little slow - but most folks in my office know I had surgery, they just don't know exactly what for. My hope is that soon they will find out (wink wink).

I find myself sipping throughout the day now either Water, Protein shake and then for lunch creamy Soup and then back to a Protein Shake, Water. For dinner I did a bean Soup broth last night and ate some sf Jello (w/ff whipped cream). Everything is still in the 3-4 ozs area, but each day is better than the previous day.

I have a follow-up doc appt tomorrow, but the weather may change that (snow).

Well good luck to everyone and I hope we all continue to post to stay abreast of each other's progress and concerns so we can help each other. I don't know about ya'll but this has been a journey just getting here (starting in June with all pre-op stuff - no dieting though) Did have to stop for a minute cause of a broken elbow, but got back on track after healing from that. Kept thinking up until the day of surgery that something was going to go wrong and the surgery would be cancelled; but here I am in bandland.

Talk with you soon.

Sounds like your doing really well Sharons, my diet sounds a bit more restiricted than yours, I have to admit my sister asked me today if I could have strained bean with bacon Soup but not on the list yet. I am using Gas X and thats helped tremendously, I had gas in places I didn't know gas could get to. Walking and Gas X has really mad a difference though. Keep up the good work, sounds like your doing just fine.

Has anyone weighed yourself? I did and so far I've lost a lb a day. :cursing: no exercise yet, follow up is Thuesday if weather allows.

Sharon- sounds like you're doing really well! Best of luck and let us know how the post op apt went

Saundra- It appears I'm down about 6 lbs since the surgery, but I am attributing the majority of this to Water loss since I'm still having a hard time getting all of these fluids down. Go us! Good luck with that bean and bacon soup...:(

As for me, I thought I was doing better but it appears this discomfort/tightening/dull pain has no plans of leaving just yet. I am sure part of this is due to swelling and such, but I can't shake the notion that I either have an infection, this is due to abdominal adhesions, or my band slipped due to my violent vomiting episodes the day of surgery. Hypochondriac I know, but I am just HATING this feeling right now and it is actually making me question the surgery.

I called my doctor today and they were happy to answer any questions, but I don't have a post op scheduled until 4 weeks out.

Edited by hookemhorns

Well my soreness is getting better, thankfully. The gas is not really subsiding though. I still am not gettig all the fluids I need. I kind of wonder if that is why I am feeling so bad. I feel almost flu like. Just tired, achy, dizzy, etc. I finally stopped taking the liquid Loratab. It helped with my pain and put me to sleep, but I'm off of that now and take liquid Tylenol as needed. I don't see my Dr. until Monday, which seems soooo far away. I called today to see if there was anything I could do about the fact I wasn't getting enough to drink. The nutrisionist is suppose to call me tomorrow. The recommended drinking room temp. liquids. Some people have problems with the cold. I too have the thightness so that must be the sign we are suppose to look for. I can get up and walk around alriht, slow, but decent, my issue really is just feel like pooh. So dizzy all the time. I kind of wonder if I'm not dehydrated and that's what's causing that. I hope things get better, I'm starting to feel frustrated and am tired of feeling sick :(

Hello!

I was also banded on the 23rd. I made a couple of posts already and 2 blogs about it. I have to say it's been a pretty hard recovery and I'm still not at work. I'm thinking I might just take the remainder of the days off and go back next Monday. The extra days might do wonders.

Today was actually the first day I was able to get a good amount of liquids in me and this might actually be where I can say the tide turned for me.

I'm still getting a stitch on my side and the doctor has told me it's gas and I got to work it out. I know my incisions must be healing because they are starting to itch and I'm feeling them now. Kind of like a tugging feeling.

I still can't wrap my head that I finally did it and now things are going to change. :(

Thanks for the encouragement. Based on some of the stuff I've read on the forum so far, my experience thus far hasn't been as bad as some. Though I feel awful for the folks that are going through a really hard time, I am appreciative that things haven't been as tough for me.

The bean Soup I had was so liquidfied, that I could actually sip it through a sippie cup (no straw). I figured if bean soup can help fill me up before the band that the Fiber might help with the band. Diaherra has really lessened, but now I'm not having anyting. I'm not really constipated, and though I still have gas pain, nothing is coming out. This concerns me a bit. Don't know if I'll make it to the doc today cause of the weather, but I'll call to reschedule something soon.

illingrl - In no way do I want to act as though I know much about this band thing, but you do sound like you might be anemic - dehydrated. I know a LOT about this feeling. When I was pregnant, I stayed anemic. I literally vomited anything I put in my system; even Water. It was so bad that I often had to go to the hospital and have an IV inserted just to get some fluids in me. This went on for the majority of my pregnancy. Suppose that's why I only had one child LOL. Anyway, I know how miserable you must be feeling. If you are anemic, then it is important to get to your doctor quickly. It doesn't get better, but worse - unless you can start getting some healthy fluids in your system.

Right now other than being hungry sometimes, the only other problems I'm having are: intermittent pain in the incision areas, but not to the point where pain meds have been needed, lot's of gas and itching at some of the incision locations and unable to ...uhumm go to the bathroom to put it nicely. Talk with yall later.

Hopefully bean Soup gets added soon for me, tomorrow is my follow up if this crazy weather permits. I didn't know Loratab came in a liquid, please tell me it was nasty, I had the big ole pills I had to cut in half and my tummy never seemed happy about getting. The Gas X has helped me a lot, also I drink 1 can of chicken broth a day to get my sodium and that seems to help the bowels move some, mostly loose but movements a good thing in my book. I never thought I'd be so happy to pass gas that I go around telling everyone I just did, it hurts to laugh so maybe down the road I will. LOL I'm feeling my body get better each day. I know the Dr ran into a few things extra so I'm not surprised I'm still having some problems but I feel like I'm probably where I should be. I work super hard on getting my Protein and my fluids and from what I've read those are the most important right now. Hopefully he will be encouraged with my progress tomorrow and so will your drs be with yours. Our bodies have been through a lot and need some major TLC eight now. Sp off to have the first half of my daily bullet. Good Luck everyone

illinigirl, I just went through the same thing today. I was in the room with a patient, and despite having just downed a Protein shake, I was feeling so faint I had to sit down in the exam room! I had that warm sweaty feeling, tunnel/spotty vision, the works, and it was miserable. After about 30 min, it passed. Water and fluids- as well as sugars(even a simple hard candy if you can't get anything down) will do a lot to relieve the dizziness.

Thankfully today is the first day I can definitively say I am doing better! I still have some constant gas/tightness pain, but today has been the first day that I got a whole bottle of Water down in a reasonable amt of time (after the fainting spell of course) and I'm planning on getting all fluids for the first time today.

...Hoping that this is the first sign that things are looking up, and if I can get through this weekend (see thread about bachelorette party) I think I can get through almost anything.

I was also done on the 23rd lots of gas and swelling, I am also have a hard time getting in the 64 oz of liquids also. It is nice to see there is a few of us out her to help support each other.

I didn't know Loratab came in a liquid, please tell me it was nasty, I had the big ole pills I had to cut in half and my tummy never seemed happy about getting.

Im very surprised your Dr. gave you pills. My doctor said I would never be able to take pills again. Everything would have to be crushed.

Dont worry, the liquid everything is disgusting. The antibiotic and the loratab both made me feel sick.

I am very curious how everyones scars look and where they are on your stomach. A few of mine are really smooth and flat, two are raised but look to be healing nicely and one has a little red spreadout below it. If any of you have a picture I would be interested to see.

For some reason that makes me feel dirty.........let me see your scars. lol:blushing:

Sharons I'm so sorry your not feeling any better, maybe you need some phonigirin (sp), my follow up got postponed, all this bad weather has made a mess, I just got internet, cable and phones back. I have to stay on the diet I'm on longer :scared: but oh well I'm just glad I have the bullets, I think they are helping keep the hunger down to a low roar and helping with my energy level. Not much energy to get from chicken broth and popsicles, I thought I'd cry when appt was moved back but I got a grip finally. I do find myself thinking of food now. Healthy food though, I guess my bost is saying its time for something like mashed potatoes or oatmeal, whatever comes next. I do hope everyone feels better ASAP :thumbup:

Hi all! It's been a few days since I've posted. Wednesday my Dr. made me to go to my local hospital to received IV fluids. I was so dehydrated that it took 12 needles sticks to get a vein to hold and not blow. An hour and a half later they were able to start the fluids. I felt decently better, but I was still have problems getting fluids down on my own. So the next mornng I was told to check in with my Dr. and if I wasn't 100% better they wanted me to take the hour drive to his office and visit his associate. So I had my mother drive me over there. At first he seemed really nice. He had me lay down so he could see if he could reach my port to possibly remove Fluid in the band. I have to say him pressing hard on my two inciisions was excrusiating and still hurts today ...meany! lol He said I was too swollen and wanted to stop at their local hospital and have an upper GI. So I started drinking the barium and watced it go right down without any problems. I sipped since that's what my paperwork said, but he made me chug the glass. Then made me chug a whole glass of Water. I was very confused by this and confused why at that point it wasn't hurting me. He said the swelling must have gone down and I seemed fine. Told me to go to the mall and walk and when I fell 100% better to start eating....this goes against all the paperwork I have and what my Dr./nurtrionist have said. So I don't know about the conflicting instructions, but it was great being able to see the liquid go through my lapband. Things are starting to look up :rolleyes: And I was shocked when I got on their scale..26lbs! I'm bound to gain some back when I start eating, but very encouraging! Hope everyone starts feeling better soon!

Well it has been a week today for me feeling great other then I still get alittle tired and I still have the gas issues but I got the ok to go back to work this monday. I am really really feeling hungary today. I have been doing the Soup broth and sugar free pudding and Protein Shakes but I just feel like I need to eat real people food LOL!! I tired to do a walking tape yesterday but I got sick in the stomache and had to stop. So I think I will wait a week to try that again. So if anyone has any good ideas please let me know. Misty