Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What I think of Oprah's show today!

I hope I don't offend anyone, but I must agree with you. It is hard for me to feel any sympathy for someone with a weight issue who has the best of EVERYTHING money could buy at their disposal! I realize that there are underlying issues as to why any of us overeat, but do you think I would be fat if I were as rich as she is? She doesn't believe in things like WLS, but I think that is precisely what she needs. Now, let me get off of the soapbox.....lol!

I will admit that I have sympathy for anyone that struggles with weight loss issues. I am a foodie myself. I do not watch her show but caught one a few months back where she openly berated young people who had weight loss surgery. She touts that she has an open mind? Me thinks not. I turned her show on today to see what she had to say about her recent REGAIN. All I got out of it was what my original post said................

I am by no means rich but my family is comfortable. I can afford to eat healthy, have a gym membership, buy exercise equipment, etc.

That still didnt keep me from getting obese. Money doesn't affect being hungry or compelled to eat. I don't like that Oprah is so against WLS . . . but I do sympathize with her struggle since it is the same as ours. I just wish she was a little more tolerant of other peoples choices on how to address the weight.

I am by no means rich but my family is comfortable. I can afford to eat healthy, have a gym membership, buy exercise equipment, etc.

That still didnt keep me from getting obese. Money doesn't affect being hungry or compelled to eat. I don't like that Oprah is so against WLS . . . but I do sympathize with her struggle since it is the same as ours. I just wish she was a little more tolerant of other peoples choices on how to address the weight.

Well put...she has disclosed that she has a thyroid problem. She's all for treatment for that but so against someone treating themselves (with WLS) for obesity. Maybe if she would have thought of it first????:wink_smile:

Money doesn't make you thin, for sure. I am lucky to be pretty wealthy and can afford a trainer twice a week, a pilates instructor, someone to make my meals and freeze them, but that hasn't made me thin. I will also say that I could have afforded WLS many years ago and have been heavy my whole life. I wasn't mentally ready for WLS until this year and that is when I went for it. I don't know why she is against WLS, but you definitely have to be commited to it and if Oprah isn't ready for it and face it, she wouldn't succeed at it anyway. She showed Carnie Wilson on the show who gained a lot of her weight from gastric bypass, but then got back on track. She can afford all of the support and still didn't do well. So, I can see both sides of the coin. It really all comes down to hard work!

I have total empathy for anyone with weight problem issues.

Personally, I think the weight issues go beyond money. I feel as though there are psychological issues, which play into over eating. (Yes, there are other issues).

Anyway, I think if society was more caring and empathetic towards each other that perhaps, just perhaps tolerance and understanding would thrive more.

I have total empathy for anyone with weight problem issues.

Personally, I think the weight issues go beyond money. I feel as though there are psychological issues, which play into over eating. (Yes, there are other issues).

Anyway, I think if society was more caring and empathetic towards each other that perhaps, just perhaps tolerance and understanding would thrive more.

I totally agree and with the great platform Oprah has, she should be more empathetic and open minded to the plight of others.

I believe we should all be more empathetic to each other.

Being in Australia, I didn't get to watch the episode, but she can come across as thinking she is "better" then everyone else.

I don't think it's expensive to eat healthy at all. If anything it's cheaper if you actually go through and calculate it...

In the US it's more expensive to eat healthy than it is to eat unhealthy.

Really? I just find that so hard to believe... but of course I don't live there so I don't know. They claim in London it's expensive, but it's been proven that you can eat healthy on a very tight budget.

I use to think the same way, but that is because I would buy all this food and then watch it rot. Now I make sure I buy what I need and cook it and it's a LOT cheaper then buying out. For example, a bought salad (chicken with lettuce, Tomato, cheese, egg and carrot) here in Australia costs $4.90USD. To buy all that and make a salad that will last me days, works out to be about $3USD and that is to last me for the week, not one meal... I don't know...

It is and it isnt expensive in australia.

We shop at a meat wholesaler, a fruit and veg wholesaler, Aldi and then Coles as a last resot (I despise paying my money to big supermarket chains who are exploiting us all).

We spend about $300 per week on groceries for a family of five, but that's good quality wholesome food and very little junk (just a bit of snack food for the kids).

its definitely cheaper to fill your trolley full of crumbed fish, frozen chips, party pies and sausage rolls, and cheap mass produced artificially sweetened yogurt, plastic cheese and deli meat than it is to buy fresh produce, good meat, free range eggs, organic milk and cheese.

But when we have a takeaway night for instance - if I need a quick dinner, I will call into Coles, buy a rotisserie chicken, a prepapared garden salad and pop some potatoes in the microwave - about $15 for five of us. A full meal of Indian or chinese is always over $40, fish and chips always about $25, McDonalds always over $30. Its much more expensive to buy rubbish for lunch than make it.

High Protein diets though - to do that healthily costs a BOMB. So much meat, fish, etc. We eat lots of really cheap stuff like rolled oats (not minute oats, not packaged single serve but good traditional rolled oats) 79c for a kilo bag, Beans and legumes, and fill it out with vegies etc.

Oprah - bah. I dont watch her generally as she annoys me but just by pure coincidence she's on here right now, with that freaky alien looking Dr Oz, who's currently bagging the typical amercian diet, and giving a very informed opinion on the ratio of good fats in our diets, telling people NOT to eat so much animal produce - which definitely gives the protein first thing a shove - to eat FIVE different fruit and veg and some nuts every, to get 25g of fibre a day etc, a tbspn olive oil etc.

If she's going to spread GOOD information like that, she's got a bit more of my respect. I certainly beats the focus on protein and who cares if its deli meat, cheese or processed shakes message.

Edited by Jachut

:sad:I sure dont think blah, blah, blah! Good grief Oprah could have paid for lap band, and then had the plastic surgery to go with it.

But instead, when she falls off the wagon she starts exercising and dieting. I know she has her own chef and exercise trainer. But crap, if I had a trainer in my room every morning I doubt he could get my fat butt up.

Sure, she has help that most of us can't afford. But, she also isnt taking the easy way out.

:sad:I sure dont think blah, blah, blah! Good grief Oprah could have paid for lap band, and then had the plastic surgery to go with it.

But instead, when she falls off the wagon she starts exercising and dieting. I know she has her own chef and exercise trainer. But crap, if I had a trainer in my room every morning I doubt he could get my fat butt up.

Sure, she has help that most of us can't afford. But, she also isnt taking the easy way out.

The easy way out? meaning WLS? because in my opinion there has been nothing easy about this...I have worked my butt off right from the begining to lose the 70 lbs I have lost. Everyday I still have to make the right decisions as to what I put in my mouth and everyday I have to make a decision weather I will drag myself to the gym. If i had a trainer in my room everyday, BELIEVE me, I would definetly get my butt out of bed! I pay for my trainer and my gym membership and don't do other things in order to afford it. Having the surgery was a choice I made to guide me in a better direction...and that's exactly what it has done...there hasn't been one day that I have let the band do all the work for me!