Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Was this all a big waste of time...?

Seriously, I have to wonder it I wasted my time and money on the lap band procedure. I was banded November 4th and I have only lost about 12 lbs post op and 10 lbs pre-op. Granite my father died a few weeks ago and I didn't really comply with the diet, however I've been back on track now and I am just not seeing a weight loss. I have been filled twice for a total of 1.6cc in my 10cc band. I am really starting to wonder if the lap band is right for me. I really want to make it work, I barely have any restriciton at all and If it weren't for LBT, I think I would have given up by now.

I think you are being VERY impatient! Rapid quick initial weight loss is a hallmark of RNY bypass, not lap band! I think maybe your surgeon needs to update his seminar info! We were told that restriction can take 4 (or more) fills and that until we have good restriction (in the "green zone) weight loss will be slow to non-existent. I lost my weight preop and 2 weeks post...just now with THREE fills (4.5 cc's in a 14 cc band) am I starting to "feel" it.

Some people do post big losses at first but they are really just "dieting"...I don't want to do that (been there done that as they say) and am letting this work as my doc has promised it will. You're just putting unfair expectations on yourself and the band. You need to be willing to work and get the fills you need to hit that good spot, and to follow your surgeon's rules.

It may NOT be for you, but you should give it (and you!) a chance. I assume you (like many of us) paid a bit and went through some trouble to get the band...don't give up so fast!

I'm sorry for your loss of your father, by the way. That's really stressful.

Lap band isn't really a diet...it's a new way of eating, a new way of relating to food. It's a tool...you have to exercise and make good choices....but it helps. Give yourself time!

I hear ya. I was banded 11/19 and gained everything I lost pre-op. At least you still have a loss. I am going in today for my 2nd fill. I am at 5cc in a 10cc band. Still no restriction. I had 3cc at surgery then on the 1st fill I had 2 more cc added. Still nothing. I am hoping today I can get some restriction. But I am with you, I can't believe this will be another weight loss failure for me. :party::frown::blink:

10lbs pre op and 12lbs post op is a great start to your weight loss.

I am sorry about your father, I lost my mother on Christmas eve and it is hard not to want to turn to food for comfort when you have been doing it for so many years.

I was banded on 6 November and have lost around 20lbs post surgery, plus 28 in the 3 months before, but I did stick to my surgeons instructions and we all lose weight at different rates so please don't compare.

My band was ffitted with 2.5mls and I have had a further fill on 12 December taking it to 4.5 in a 10ml band. I am still pretty restricted from that fill and can only eat a fraction of what I could eat before but I have been told that it will wear off and I will be getting another fill booked soon.

Don't give up on your band just yet, if you don't have restriction book yourself in for a fill. I am sure your late father would be proud to have you lose your excess weight, I know my mother would.

Very best of luck to you, the weight will come off once your restriction is right.

Sue

was banded 9/30.. I have 6 cc in a 10 cc band. Got a fill yesterday to 6 cc and am just now starting to feel some restriction. One of the parts of the band procedure is the fills, thats when it really starts to work. I dont suspect the small amt that you have in your band would give you any restriction, it wouldnt for me.. I know and understand now that patience is one of the most important tools for using the band.... this not a gastric bypass and will not let you lose weight quickly as those patients do.. Tell your doc your disapointments and see if he will fill you at a faster rate. Mine does 1 cc every 3-4 weeks.

264/227/160

Im shocked that you guys are expecting dramatic weight loss imidiately after surgery. The first couple of months post op you're trying to find the right restriction/fill thats right for you. My doctor told me not to be surprised if I gained before my first fill. Right now Im working on will power alone, my band is empty. Everybody needs a different amount of fill in their band so they cant just fill it and send you on your way.. they have to do it gradually.

You shouldnt be calling yourself a faliure when you are ONLY two months out.

Im shocked that you guys are expecting dramatic weight loss imidiately after surgery. The first couple of months post op you're trying to find the right restriction/fill thats right for you. My doctor told me not to be surprised if I gained before my first fill. Right now Im working on will power alone, my band is empty. Everybody needs a different amount of fill in their band so they cant just fill it and send you on your way.. they have to do it gradually.

You shouldnt be calling yourself a faliure when you are ONLY two months out.

I am so with you guys. I also gained weight right out of surgery and was so pissed. Today day 4 I am at 3lb lost but I think it is dieting not the band. My band has no fill and I won't get one until week 6 so I am sticking to what my nutri told me to do. I am eating aroung 800-1000 cal and that is still called dieting to me.

1.6 in a 10 cc band is hardly any restriction. You can eat and drink your way around that easily. My first fill in my 10 cc band was 4 ccs. I only had small restriction them. Inamed's guidelines are 3-4 ccs for the first fill on a 10 cc band...

Keep getting fills regularly until you get to a restricted level. And in the mean time, exercise and remain positive. The band surgery alone is NOT the answer... the fills and exercise you get are...

I agree with all of you, please don't be so impatient. I had surgery in Aug and I've only lost 22 lbs. I have 7cc's in my band now and am just starting to feel some restriction. You have to give it time. But I understand where you are coming from, I expected more too when I first got my band. But this website and talking to others has helped me understand the fills are what make the difference. Hang in there and so sorry for your loss.

if your losing and not gaining thats a good thing i had the band june 30th ive went down fifty pounds total with preop and six sizes down went from 26/28 to a 16 dont frown takes time and i only have 3.5 cc in band

I am so sorry about your father!! I just wanted to send some healing and peaceful thoughts your way. The holidays really should never be a time when anybody loses loved ones. I'm so sorry!

I'm an 11/4/08 bandster. I just had my 2nd post-op and first fill this morning. I didn't know all the details before the surgery as far as capacity and all, but I assumed I came out of surgery with no fill. Today, I asked the questions to find out that I had a 3cc fill at surgery with a 10cc cap. I have lost 13 pounds since the surgery. My surgeon said that was good, I'm healed and tolerating foods, so now he would give me some help to get it going a little quicker to where I would not have to do all the measuring. So I now have 1.5 cc more today. I feel sooooooo much more restriction now.

I think you are doing very well!!!

Every BODY is different. I love LBT for the support that is here, but it seems like one of the dangers is the statistical side of it. When you talk to someone in chat, right away they want to know how much you've lost so far. It's like we are always making mental notes of how others are doing, and naturally we look to ourselves and say, "Well how come I haven't lost 20 pounds this week?"

Well, maybe that person did not have to do a pre-op nutrition period for their insurance and just went from eating 2,500 cal a day to what, 800? And if you lost weight pre-op, then you were already consuming less, right? How can there be a dramatic drop if you were already consuming quite a bit less? It's still a progression... but you have to look at the big picture. The big picture is that this is not a temporary tool. I fully expect to get to my goal and be able to maintain that goal once I get there, not start all over again.

Isn't that the problem? Aren't we all good at losing weight... just not good at keeping it off? Isn't the band more of a bookmark? It holds your place. It keeps you in that spot for later. So if I lose a pound that I never gain back, I think the band did it's job. Yeah, when you are heavy, what the heck is a pound worth... but two months ago, I could have easily put on a pound by just walking by the cookie jar.

Hang in there, November buddy! You are right on track! :) I'm looking forward to what your future posts will bring. And again, I'm so sorry about your loss. :)

I am so sorry about your dad's passing. The stress you must be under will affect your weigh loss. But it sounds like you have it under control and are starting to lose weight again.

You really have not been banded long enough to hit a sweet spot. And 1.6 cc is not going to get you much restriction in a 10cc band.

I think your weight loss thus far is great. You are doing an amazing job inlight of the holidays and your dad's passing. Hang in there and keep moving forward. You will find lots of support here, so don't give up!

My condolences on the loss of your father. I'm sure the holiday season is extra difficult this year.

I was banded on 12/11/08. I've decided to get on the scale one day per week - on Thursdays, my surgery date. One thing my doctor's office says over and over again is that the band is a tool not a solution.

We need to follow the rules of the tool including monitoring our calorie, Protein, Fiber, Water, and Vitamin intake. I remember during my psych eval the doctor told me to be mindful of liquid calories, ie chocolate. Be mindful of foods that become liquids as you chew them, like chocolate.

The temptations are so great to have chocolate or maybe some ice cream or the Christmas treats sitting near my desk. Going to the store is particularly difficult. The 'old' me generally bought three candy bars on the way out of the store and ate them before I got home. Movie theaters are tough too. Why does that darn popcorn always smell so good? Honestly, it doesn't taste good but the smell, ahhhhhhhhhh.

Keep faithful to your journey. We're here to help each other along the way.

I hear ya. I was banded 11/19 and gained everything I lost pre-op. At least you still have a loss. I am going in today for my 2nd fill. I am at 5cc in a 10cc band. Still no restriction. I had 3cc at surgery then on the 1st fill I had 2 more cc added. Still nothing. I am hoping today I can get some restriction. But I am with you, I can't believe this will be another weight loss failure for me. ;):frown::mad:

:laugh: Thanks, you made me feel so much better. I thouht I was the only one that gained right after surgery. I gained 4lbs and was pissed. Now I know it was just the surgery and the hit my system took. I am learing how to listen to my body and that is hard. In the past all I ever listend to was the food. I hope I can keep focused and keep losing. I will not have a fill for 5 more weeks. So being careful with Water, calories, and Protein are all thats on my mind right now.

12 pounds is totally fine for the length of time you've had your band. You should only expect 1 to 2 pounds per week if you are doing very well, so you are doing very well. It took lots of time to gain the weight. You are not going to lose it all in 7 or 8 weeks.