Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Minkin's patients

Hi All,

It's been awhile since I checked in. Emilyxx, it's been a little over 2 weeks now...How are you doing? Have you moved to soft foods yet? It's an exciting time...make sure you are following all the lapband rules ... the rules are really there for a reason.

You asked how everyone was doing...well since starting this whole process I'm at a 96 lb. loss. Now that is not all after surgery I had to lose 26 lbs before he would do the surgery. I have hit a plateau and have played with the same 4 lbs for the past 9 weeks... so I have increased exercise and made it more regular.

My life has drastically changed....my success story is not so much in the pounds but in what I am capable of doing now. My energy level, mobility, and attitude is getting stronger every day. When I started this lifestyle change I could barely move from one room to another....on the vacation I just took to a resort a little out from Branson, MO (Ozark Mountains) out of the 14 days I walked 12 days....I started out walking about 2 miles...those hills were somewhat intimidating...(my goal was to walk a little farther each day)...Well my last day there I walked just over 4.5 miles in just over an hour and 20 minutes. Wow when I realized what I did I was on top of one of those Ozark Mountains!!!!

Dr. Minkin is great, very caring and will take the time to answer any questions you have.

Good Luck! Think about coming to the support group meetings at the hospital...it helps me!

Bassman47 It has to feel great to be nearing your personal goal...what a year! Congrads! How are you feeling about keeping it off...That prospect scares me some... but I'm sure you'll do great!

Atrivia - How are you doing?

Would love to here how everyone else is doing.

Deb

HEY!:frown:

My two week mark was yesterday. I went and saw Dr. Minkin just this last Monday and i was down 20.2 lbs. Im on mushies. He said Monday the 3rd i can start scrambled eggs..thin deli meats.. All together im doin pretty good. He said im healing great and so far have had no complaints.

Ive been riding my exercise bike for about 30 minutes a day. Tryin to find a gym to join but havent found one i like. So.

Hope all is well and congrats on walking that far! i havent done that in a long time!(walk that far that is):crying:

Emilyxx - sounds like you're doing great...30 minutes a day on the bike - hooray! Doesn't it feel great to see that scale # go down! Suggestion make sure you measure everything for a while....My eyes were always bigger that the measuring cup!!! I'm getting a little better but my estimate is still bigger that the mcup.

I have the goal on exercising that I push myself just a little farther or a little faster each time I'm out and no no no excuses for some sort of exercise daily! We have an extremely large yard so the past couple of days (since a two week vacation put it in bad shape, I've been helping my husband get it back into shape....I can't believe this but I elected the push mower and raking while he did the riding mower.) that has been my exercise....Man, are my arms sore from the raking! But I'm hoping it will help the flabby arms. About 2 1/2 hours each day....It's definitely helped me get all my Water plus in each day.

Keep it up.

Deb

Hi all,

I'm scheduled for surgery with Dr. Minkin on Sept. 2. I'm very, very nervous but excited and ready to get my life back. I can already feel my dysfunctional relationship with food falling away. And reading all of your posts helps to diminish some of my fears.

Best wishes to you all!

kim

Kim, Congrats on the first step in taking your life back. :drool: It sounds like you are already preparing yourself for the new way of life. Before surgery I started by practicing chewing long and well any food I ate, small bites, and eating slowly. I still have to concentrate on all those things when I'm eating. I do hope that one day it will come naturally for me...but I woofed down my meals for 54 years so I guess 8 months isn't long enough to break that way of eating without having to think about what I'm doing.

It's been the best thing I could have done for myself, my life has made a very positive change.

You will be in great hands for this procedure! Make sure you have the things in place for you to follow the rules and diet Dr. Minkin puts you on. If you need to talk keep posting here we will try to help.

Good Luck! Deb

Thank you, Deb! I truly appreciate the advice and support. I've been trying to be more conscious of how I eat my food, chewing more slowly and thoroughly, taking smaller bites. It is quite and adjustment. Like you, I woof down my food too. Hmm, it actually taste better when you chew it. Imagine that!:drool:

Kim

i went and got my first fill with dr. minkin yesterday. and i have a question. he put 2 CCs. in I go back in 8 weeks and prolly another fill.. will he put in 2ccs? or for the of you who have had the band longer and all..how much did he put in your b and 1st and second time?

A lot will depend on how you feel about if you need a fill or not and then also how fast it goes down if you get a fill. Did he do it in the office or by X-ray. I will be two years next month and hope to get a fill. I only have 6 cc in the 10cc band. Glad to see that all is going well for you. Any questions just ask.

Chris

he did it in the office. which i was thankful he was able to do. i dont really feel much restriction so im excitin for the future of another fill haha.

i went and got my first fill with dr. minkin yesterday. and i have a question. he put 2 CCs. in I go back in 8 weeks and prolly another fill.. will he put in 2ccs? or for the of you who have had the band longer and all..how much did he put in your b and 1st and second time?

Emily, How has the adjustment been for you... did you ease back to regular foods has per dr. instructions?

From what I have gained in understanding this process is that everyone is different...it will be determined by Dr. Minkin and the information that you give him including your weight lose and what has been happening with you. The more info you give him the better he will be able to help you use the band as a tool. I ask lots of questions...in fact I write them all down so that I don't forget what I wanted to ask... When he makes an adjustment without the x-ray he has to do it by feel, if down by x-ray he can be more agressive and get it closer to that sweet spot. I had the first one attempted in office (self pay) but he couldn't find the port so I elected to do the fluoriscope at the hospital...I received (1-19-09)2.2 cc then the rest were in the office

2nd fill (3-30-09) 2.0 cc, 3rd fill (5-1-09) 2.0 cc and then last fill (8-17-09) .5 cc. The first two fills I don't think I felt any restriction but I was never hungry...I was very vigilent with the lapband rules and measured everything that I ate. 3rd fill I definitely had the restrictions...I could get solids down but if I didn't chew and take small bites I paid for it (It only took acouple of times before I truly understood what this TOOL was all about..I did learn that I had allowed my eating habits to become sloppy...so back to concentrating on half hour before eating and one and a half after no Water, small bites, and chew chew chew. I've had to retrain myself and concentrate on what I was doing when I ate. I also realize I have to measure because my eyes are definitely bigger than my pouch.

It's really it home to me that the band is a TOOL and I have to learn how to use it ... I have to listen and read the signs my body is giving me to make it work efficently.

Sorry I got long winded...to answer your question it may seem like most have received 2.0 cc but it really depends on what your body is telling you. Trust the doc, I try and give him an accurate account of what's been happening and he then does his fill. So far, I am very pleased with what he has done for me.

I have celebrated a loss of over 100 lbs this past week! This morning on my 3 mile walk I even managed to jog (downhill) just a little bit...Wow I never would have believed that would ever have happened again in my lifetime...but I push myself and discover new feats everyday! :biggrin::o

Let us know how you are doing!

Deb

Hope this helped answers your question.

My surgery date is coming up so fast. Went to see the nutritionist last week. There was so much information to remember, I should have taken notes. So.... I have a couple of questions for everyone. Are you still hungry after surgery? And, about when do you get your first fill?

Thx,

kim

i wasnt hungry after surgery til i started to eat like soft foods. then my hunger cameback a lil. i still get full pretty fast. i eat 3 meals a day. all 1/2 cup DEPENDING on what i eat. chicken salad now fills me up REAL fast. i went out to eat with my parents had one chicken nugget at Chilis and was full. granted the chicken nugget was like a boneless buffalo wing haha but still.

i had my surgery july 16th 2009 and i just had my first fill the 17th of August. 2ccs. :). still dont feel much restriction at all but there is a slight difference i can tell but im lookin forward to gettin another one. thats in 7 weeks.

you dont have to take notes although there is a lot to remember. just read the packet Jessie gave you the spiral book of stuff keep it handy and i think it comes with a week by week menuish thing for 6 weeks telling you what you can try and have tht week. i keep that on my fridge:)

youll be so happy you did this.

its been an amazing journey for me so far.

im 5 weeks out and 29 lbs down. so . i cant complain.

no issues yet. (hoping idont have anya haha)

ive gotten a lil sloppin in sippin when i eat ...i needa quit that.

and i think i eat a lil fast but im definately not complainin about anything so far. all has been well.

the staff at the hospital when yo ustay is AWESOME. i hung out with the NA all night ahha. im 23 she was too and i was up late and just walkin around and talkin to her all night.

other than that i knew one of the nurses bc i was her childrens teacher at preschool so haha.

but all is awesome...

ok.

im babbling.:thumbup:

Emilyxx, thank you so much for your reply! It's very helpful. I'm one of those people that needs to know what to expect, but even then I get a little freaked out.

I start my pre-op liquid fast a week from today. While I'm not looking forward to it, I am kind of.

BTW-your babbling is very calming to me, so feel free! And congrats on your 29lbs! Sounds like your doing great.

Heyyy. Granted its only been a week and a half since my fill.. and im only on week 6.. i know i shouldnt rush things but im feeling like maybe ive stalled out. im tryin to get as many calories in as possible but yea. and working out. but i dont really feel any restriction yet i mean ya i get full but i am still hungry 3 hours later. are you able to go and call Dr. Minkins office and request to get a fill sooner? I dont know. Im in hell hahaha.

Emilyxx How are you doing? I did not really feel the restriction until my 3rd fill. Although I didn't feel hungry...I just kept measuring my food and following the rules. I hope you are adjusting and all has evened out.

Kim: How did everything go....I thought a lot about you on the 2nd. Hope you moving around is getting easier and everything is going good. Let us know how you're doing.

Deb