Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any February 2009 Bansters?

Hey there,

I just got my first fill on monday and I'm a bit upset. I'm getting used to the whole chewing really good so that the food doesn't get stuck in my chest thing, but I still don't have restriction. At least I don't feel like I do. I think I should give it a chance but I am feeling like regretting getting the band instead of the gastric because of the maintanence after. When is a good time for the next fill? Should I give it a chance to set in a few weeks first?

Trust me this is normal...until you start really feeling hitting your stride (around your sweet spot) you will feel like you can eat just like your normally do. I anticipated this, and just ate really really healthy, lots of salads, lots of Protein, and basically cut out carbs completely. I went in on Tuesday for fill #4, and after I came of liquids that first day after I tried a salad which I could have previously finished and only ate 1/4th! I wasn't really hungry the rest of the day, and tried some chicken at night, and was horribly tight...so now I am seeing the restriction, and it is like night and day, it just takes a while to get there. You will be thankful you DIDN'T get gastric, though the weight comes off FAST a bunch of people at my work had it done, and yes you can tell, but mainly because they are like deflated balloons, because their skin hasn't been able to retain it's elasticity as the weight comes off. Doing it gradually like this, although slow and completely frustrating at times, will be a more healthy gradual drop that will keep your tone and skin firmer as you do it, plus the added benefit of not having completely rerouted your anatomy. :blink: Keep it up, you will get there!

I was banded in February. I did great at first and lost almost 40lbs. Then I started to get hungry a lot and was able to eat more. I was glad when I had my first fill last week. The fill was easy with hardly any discomfort at all. The problem is I don't feel any restriction. I am still eating more than I should be able to and I get hungry all the time. Is it possible the fill didn't work? I've put on 2 lbs and I'm worried. Is there a waiting period before you can get another fill?

Thanks Sassye!

That makes me feel better! It helps to know others have this same problem. I will have to be extra careful about what I eat and hope that the next fill will help more.

Your right. Thank you for the support. I am trying to be patient and take it one day at a time. :crying:

I don't think you should regret your choice yet. There is a woman in my support group that has the band AFTER having the gastric by-pass. She slowly stretched her stomach over a few years and ended up gaining almost all her weight back...200 lbs...so...moral is there is no easy fix. Once you get restriction, you will lose weight. My doctor says it is harder to go too far astray on teh band because you cannot stretch it. So after two years, most weight loss between by-pass and band end up being about the same. But with the band, you are getting more nutrients. Just remember this is a long process, don't get frustrated so soon!

Thank, you, your soooo right! I have been taking it one day at a time and have calmed down since the last post.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I made another appt. for next monday for another fill. I feel a slight difference in my eating, but not the way I thought. I still can eat a lot. I feel great to have all of this support from everyone and people telling me their experiences. It has helped ease my anxiety a lot.

Trust me this is normal...until you start really feeling hitting your stride (around your sweet spot) you will feel like you can eat just like your normally do. I anticipated this, and just ate really really healthy, lots of salads, lots of Protein, and basically cut out carbs completely. I went in on Tuesday for fill #4, and after I came of liquids that first day after I tried a salad which I could have previously finished and only ate 1/4th! I wasn't really hungry the rest of the day, and tried some chicken at night, and was horribly tight...so now I am seeing the restriction, and it is like night and day, it just takes a while to get there. You will be thankful you DIDN'T get gastric, though the weight comes off FAST a bunch of people at my work had it done, and yes you can tell, but mainly because they are like deflated balloons, because their skin hasn't been able to retain it's elasticity as the weight comes off. Doing it gradually like this, although slow and completely frustrating at times, will be a more healthy gradual drop that will keep your tone and skin firmer as you do it, plus the added benefit of not having completely rerouted your anatomy. :crying: Keep it up, you will get there!

I lost 2 lbs this weekend. Me and my boyfriend did a lot of walking, we went to a convention center and there was soo much walking and it was soo hot this past weekend! I didn't eat so healthy but didn't eat as much since I was so hot! I hope the weight stays off! I guess working out really makes the hugest difference of all! :crying: