Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Complete loss of restriction following large fill!

Oh, that completely sucks!

I agree, alarm bells should have gone off when he wanted to do a fill that big but its not that easy when you're already there in the situation. I can think of lots of times when I've had the feeling I'm about to get poor service (bad haircut, fungal nail infection at a nail bar, etc etc) but you just dont want to speak out at the time.

I hope hope hope for you that it doesnt mean replacing your band.

Update - I went back to my surgeon's office yesterday. I saw his PA. She withdrew all the Fluid from my band (four times) - which amounted to exactly 1.5 cc's every time. I should have had 4 cc's in there. She said she isn't sure exactly where the extra fluid went - could've been from someone withdrawing the needle improperly and letting some fluid leak out in the process, or there is a leak. However, she said she doesn't think there's a leak because of the amount of suction she had when she was withdrawing the fluid. She wants me to come back next week or the week after to have the fluid checked. If there is the 2.5 cc's that she put in yesterday, then there is not a leak, just an improper fill. If there is less, than obviously, it's leaking out somewhere. Good thing is, I can feel some restriction today - which is different from the last week where I had NONE. Hope I'm getting back on track - wish me luck. Thanks for being there for me - your advice is helpful and comforting. Keep up the good work!

That's so great to hear!!! Keep us posted about your next appointment. Hopefully you'll maintain your restriction over the next two weeks. If the restriction starts to dwindle though, I'd bet it really is a leak, and if so....can you sue the guy who did that to you????

I chose to have surgery in Denver, CO (and I live in NC) because I was self-pay and he was one of the cheapest I found in the US. I've also decided to make the trip back to Denver for every fill, instead of going to a local Fill Centers USA location (3hrs drive one-way) because I insist on having my surgeon or my surgeon's fill nurses doing the procedure. I hate that your experience was such a bad one, but I guess that's what I'm trying to avoid by flying back to Denver for every fill. One thing is for sure - it's costing me a little more to fly to Denver each time, haha. :ohmy:

Oh, that is heartening news! <fingers crossed> I'm breathing a big sigh of relief here. Let us know how it goes.

I was told by my surgeons office, at my last fill appt, that I had 3 cc or 3.25 cc (I can't remember for sure); however, last night I was reviewing my records, and at one appt last December, I had to have .5 cc removed because of terrible vomiting - but the nurse ADDED that amount on my fill log, instead of SUBTRACTING it, so I really only had about 2.5 cc, when I went to visit the new surgeon on Monday. My surgeons office ALWAYS drew out the Fluid to measure, and then put it back in with the additional for the fill; however, this new doctor did not draw out any Fluid, and tried 3 times to get in the port with a needle he then decided was too short, he then was "successful" with the longer needle on the fourth try. Well, he thought he was successful anyway, but I am questioning this now. And, I maybe didn't make myself clear when I was trying to describe my loss of restriction. I have ALWAYS had restriction, since the day my band was placed - except for the last 3 days, since that last, large fill. I was due for a fill, and felt like I needed one; however, I have NEVER had a fill larger than .5 cc at a time - but he put in 1.5 cc on Monday. I was worried that with that large of a fill, and being that close to the max my band will hold that I'd have trouble swallowing liquids - turns out I can eat like a freakin' horse - just like I could before my surgery! Makes no sense to me. I have to think he not only missed the port, but did something to the band to cause me to lose the fluid I did have in there. What do you guys think? p.s. I do have calls into my surgeons office, as well as the doctor I seen on Monday. I'm hoping to hear back from them today - if not, they're going to hear from me by the end of the day. I'm worried, not to mention pissed off. My success with the band has been very minimal to begin with, and now that I can consume food just like pre-band, I'm worried I'm going to start gaining.

Oh, my I'm going through the same thing.

I went to the Doc for a fill Wednesdaym and all I had in my band was like .2 when I should have had like 2.4. They seem to think I may have a leak. I had went two weeks before this to have an unfill and noticed I could eat anything after the slight unfill. This time I have 2.6 in my 4cc band and I don't have a whole lot of restriction at all or if any. I have to go back in 4 weeks to have my Fluid checked. Please let me know what they find out about your band.