Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lord help me - Pre-op diet for a month

I'm scheduled for surgery on the 30th and just started my pre-op today.

I can only have 5 Opti-fast shakes a day... sugar free Jello, tea, and Water.

Has anyone done it for this long? WHat are some tricks to get it going?

I heard the shakes were nasty...but, I have two already and they don't taste too bad.

My grandmother said I should be able to have beef/chicken broth. But, it is not on my list? Do you think it's a big deal if I have that?

Don't have ANYTHING unless you call and get your doc's ok. I had a preop diet almost as bad and was on it for 5 1/2 weeks....I'm sure you know the point isn't really (or not just) weight loss, but it's to shrink your liver so the band can be placed. It's tough but you can do it; just call and ask about the broth!

Don't have ANYTHING unless you call and get your doc's ok. I had a preop diet almost as bad and was on it for 5 1/2 weeks....I'm sure you know the point isn't really (or not just) weight loss, but it's to shrink your liver so the band can be placed. It's tough but you can do it; just call and ask about the broth!

Yeah, I'm sooo hungry right now I can't even sleep. I'm going to call tomorrow about the broth.

I'm sure it will get easier in a few days.

I just keep thinking this is worth it.

Wow that's a long liquid diet.

That said this is my 4th day on what you are on. (including broth. your doc prolly wont have a problem with it.. but ask!) and the first 2 days I literally cried myself to sleep thinking about my favorite foods. The first day the hunger pains were really really bad.

The good news is.. today is manageable. And today I stepped on the scale and seem to have lost 7 pounds since I started.

So I guess my message is.. it gets easier. You get proud of yourself. I didn't really believe it when people said it day 1 and 2 and even 3 TRUST ME. lol

Hang in there :cursing: We're all on the way to getting healthier and happier!

Yes, I called my doctor today and the lady told me limit it to 1 or 2 cups a day for the broth.

Today has been kinda easy... i'm hungry... but, I just keep drinking water... I have only had one shake so far today. I will probably have another one 15 minutes or so. I have a headache I think from not drinking diet Coke. But, I'm about to make some strong tea and see if it goes away.

It seems like it is easier today... we'll see tonight when I try and sleep.

I think i'm going to have 2 shakes late tonight... and some broth...and alot of Water and see if that helps me sleep.< /p>

It really does get better after a few days. One thing I did to help me was going to bed earlier than normal. That kept me from sitting around thinking about food. Also, since are you allowed so many shakes, spread them out a little. That also helped me. By the end, I really didn't have to drink all of my shakes to keep me satisfied. Keep up the good work. It is so worth it in the end!

I am on day four. It is a little better today. The first day I thought I was going to resort to cannibalism, I wanted to eat my own arm. Mine is not nearly at strict, just need to drink two Protein Shakes a day any brand, broth and am allowed cream Soups. I think it goes by your BMI but am not sure. Mine is 40. My surgery is next Wed. Only four more days to go and I cannot wait.

Count me in the pre-op diet blues too, Creed. I start my 3 week count on Monday. I am so glad I found you on here- I'll have someone in the same boat as me. My doctor did not recommend a drink so I will try optifast- I can have creamed Soups, though. By the way, is your actual name Creed?

I feel your pain!!

My pre-op is also for a month. I've made it 2 & 1/2 weeks so far,and its the toughest thing I've ever had to do!! As for the broth, I asked my dr about that and also a small green salad and was given the ok.... 2 broths per day and one salad with fat free spray drsg. Wendys side salad is just 35 calories and of course no fat and it's all mostly Water. I have one at work when everyone else is eating.Helps a lot.

I think the broth is iffy with some due to the high sodium content. I do enjoy it I must say!

Going to bed hungry is the worst feeling. But I always feel good when I wake up and know that I made it another day!

Hang in there....:thumbup:

Hey...Im right with you all ...Im on my 2nd week of liquids..its terrible.. :sad_smile: but I cant imagine not doing it correctly...I saw my doctor last week for my preop & dropped 9 pounds in one week.. of liquids that was nice..now I have till friday...of liquids..that's my surgery date..

Amazingly i'm doing ok. I'm on my 7th day now..... the first two days were rough and I had to take a sedative to help me go to sleep.

I have really stuck to it. I spread my shakes out during the day.... I try and save at least 3 of them for later in the day. I drink Water... unsweetened tea.... ....and eat sugar free Jello and beef broth.

I guess my stomach has shrunk and its really not so hard now. I just keep thinking it is all going to be worth this little month or so of suffering. LOL

I am not going to go back home to visit family over Christmas. I have already told them that. They have too much of a spread of food on the table and that would be pure torture smelling it. It's not really the look of the food now... when I smell it on my God my stomach just growls.

My surgery date is 12/30/08.

I have been on the pre-op diet for 14 days. My surgery is tomorrow morning. I am so excited.

My surgeon requires the Bariatric Advantage shakes. They are disgusting! But I was able to tolerate them if I mixed them in a blender then put them in the fridge overnight so they would "settle" and not be frothy.

I was allowed to have broth. My counselor told me that warm liquids actually make you feel fuller, so I had a cup of warm broth before bed and that stopped the hunger pains.

There were two things that were the hardest for me, well, three things.

1. Fixing dinner for my family. (I finally bought convenience foods by week 2 and made them fix dinner themselves.)

2. Going to Chuck E. cheese Saturday night for my daughter's birthday party and serving pepperoni pizza to the kids followed by chocolate cake. (I was good though, only a diet coke)

3. Finally giving up my diet cokes (Saturday night was my last one.)

I know this will all be worth it. I feel like the worse part is behind me. I am counting down the hours. My coworker had the surgery last April. She has lost 70 lbs. and looks great. She actually had to have a second surgery 15 days after the original due to slippage. However, even after all of that, she said the preop diet was the hardest part. So I believe it you can get through it, you can do anything.

Good luck to everyone with your upcoming surgeries!

Kelli