Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Holiday Troubles

Hi All,

I thought I would reach out to you all to see if you can help me. I am starting to see some of my old eating habits creeping back into my life.

I was doing so well there for a while and since the beginning of November I am not doing as well.

I feel like my head hunger is controlling me versus the other way around. I can eat anything had have absolutely no problems what so ever. Last night really hit home when I realized for dinner I used a "normal" sized dinner plate and ate everything.

The only thing that is keeping my weight in check is all of the exercising I am doing. I did gain 1/2 lb so far this week, so even that is not helping any more.

I don't want to fail this. I have worked too hard to get here, but I don't know what else to do.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks for your help!

Gilta,

First, step back and realize your accomplishments in 4 months. You have lost 59 lbs. That is great. You should be very proud of your success. You are more than half way to reach your goals....

Remember what good habits got your here.

Re-dedicate yourself. Maybe it is time to get another fill. Keep exercising. We will all go what you are experiencing.... I think your success is much faster than most of us, so reaching a plateau is probably common. Fighting to continue is the challenge. You will succeed.

Gary

I think for al of us, after some time complacency starts to slip in and we tend to 'let go' of the reins a little, only to find we're slipping backwards.

It's okay and completely normal, I think, as long as you recognise when you're doing it and get back on the wagon.

I also think it may be a good time to think about another fill, esp if you are eating close to normal portions again. I could not eat normal portions even if I wanted to, so if you can, you need some fill, I reckon.

things like this happen...but at least you realized it so it's time to get back on top of things. i went through a similar thing a couple of weeks ago. in fact i went in for my second fill today...so here i go!! back at it!! we can do this!!

Thanks for those that responded.

Gary - you are right. I have come so far and I need to re-dedicate myself. I thought that with exercising so much that would be enough, but I know it isn't.

Lellow - I agree with both you and Gary - a fill is due. I am trying to hold off until January, but I think I should try now.

General - let's hope that works for me as it did for you!

Thanks again all!

Gilta, based on your progress you are rockin’ so just find the drive again. I also had a Thanksgiving weekend of some misbehaving but I did a couple of days of just liquid on Monday/Tuesday (as if I had a fill) to help straighten me out and am now back with the program. The liquids was my choice but the main thing is finding your post band self again because you have obviously been successful. Stay strong!!!

I agree with getting the fill. Trying to head into the holidays with all the food and goodies would be really tough!

This whole process is about relearning and getting rid of old habits, there will be times that we revert back to what was comfortable, that is okay, if you learn from those times. Right now is a new day and time to rededicate to your band!

You have had great success, stick with it and you will be back on track. We are all here to support you! Good luck and go book that fill!

Hi All,

I thought I would reach out to you all to see if you can help me. I am starting to see some of my old eating habits creeping back into my life.

I was doing so well there for a while and since the beginning of November I am not doing as well.

I feel like my head hunger is controlling me versus the other way around. I can eat anything had have absolutely no problems what so ever. Last night really hit home when I realized for dinner I used a "normal" sized dinner plate and ate everything.

The only thing that is keeping my weight in check is all of the exercising I am doing. I did gain 1/2 lb so far this week, so even that is not helping any more.

I don't want to fail this. I have worked too hard to get here, but I don't know what else to do.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks for your help!

Its so hard when this happens, I've been in a funk like this for quite some time. Got too tight, had some fill out and was too loose and have been just eating round my band ever since.

For me, it was important to change things up. I needed to see some weight lost, that always motivates me and it hadnt happened in months and months. I also realise that even though I am a staunch defender of cardio, running for an hour five days a week for three years has just about acheived all it can for my body, I've become super efficient at it, its definitely not burning the calories and challenging me like it once was and its not keeping the weight away and helping me to lose it like it did.

So I've completely switched it about. I am allowing myself one long slow run a week (because I love doing it) and the rest of the time I am focussing on a really HARD circuit workout I've developed on my treadmill that focusses on some heavy weights with a high heartrate the whole time and I've thrown in a few interval training workouts too (cardio coach is great for this). I committed to five days of perfect eating and I did it, hard though it was. Result? 2 of the pesky 4lb gone and I feel renewed and havent slipped back into that headhunger cookie munching all day long mode for about three weeks.

For me, I just need to see a result to get me motivated again. Maintaining is boring. Same weight all the time, day in day out, I think I broke out of my good habits just to see something change!:whatchutalkingabout To give myself the challenge of having to lose a bit again, lol.

Perhaps a little blitz would help you too? A completely different eating and exercise regime for a week?

Hey things happen half a pound is not that much. I gained a pound last week and hope that I have that is gone by tomorrow morning.

I know every day I have to watch what I eat. Keep the head hunger away.

It's a daily struggle still but worth it. Next week I get my 3rd fill. And I hope I get some good restriction.

Finding the sweet spot with the band takes time and maintaining that spot even more. It sounds to me that your hunger is not under control. If this is the case - I would go for the fill as soon as possible. It's easier to make good food choices when your hunger is controlled - and hunger control is the purpose of the band.

Along with the fill, try some intense cardio - seriously challenge yourself. This recipe broke through my recent plateau in a big way. In fact, I've already passed my New Year's Challenge weight. Give it a shot.

Brad

Just a follow up -

I called my MD and I cannot get in for a fill until after the 1st of the year. One of the MDs in the office is out so the others are covering for him and everything is booked up.

So I have to do this on my own until I can get a fill.

I will exercise at least 3 times/week with cardio challanges as suggested.

I will write down everything I eat.

I will measure everything I eat.

I will eat less than 1100 calories (doing this is when I lose weight)

Let's hope this works so I can hit my New Years Challange. Congrats Brad on hitting it already!

Gilta~

Making the plan will put you back on track! Way to go, keep us posted on how you are doing and for support! You can do this!

Gilta,

Thanks for the kind words. I ditto what Kristen said! You're doing the right thing by taking the bull by the horns so to speak. Stay focused and you'll do fine until you can get that fill.

Brad