Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kaiser Richmond Pre-op

Good morning peeps!

I am 100% happy with my band. It was, and is, the perfect solution for me. BUT. Tina is right; the food addiction is very very real and that's where the real work is. NO surgery cures the addiction. Call it what you want - I call it "head work" - it's where our stuggles always have been, that's how we got obese to begin with, and doing the work is the only way we're going to overcome it. The band - or RNY, or the Sleeve - are only tools. I know we hear that and hear that, but believe it! Nothing is more true.

We also have dieting addictions - I see a LOT of this, in the Kaiser classes and even on this board. We are all expert dieters; we have been doing it for _(fill in the blank)_ years and we're good at it. "I know what works for me!" we all say. Well guess what, it DOESNT work for you or you would not be on this board! Kaiser has a program that WORKS. It is not broken. It does not need to be "fixed." Follow the program. Unless you are working with a doctor or nutritionist, don't "modify" it to fit what you want to do! The most valuable thing I ever heard about this program was, "forget everything you know about dieting." I heard that at orientation, and it is absolutely true.

THAT SAID, we ARE all different when it comes to post-surgery things that work and things that don't. chicken works for some and not others; I can eat salad and Reggie can't, etc. We all have to learn how to "work" our bands, and re-learn after we get a fill or unfill. My point is this: if you stall out, go back to the program 100%. Drink your Water. No sliders. No snacking. 1200 calories. Excercise. It WILL work, promise :)

My problem is motivation! Especially to exercise :ohmy: But guess what? Kaiser just called me to take part in a study they are doing, where I have to wear the bodybugg (the same one they use on Biggest Loser) 24/7 for 3 months solid, and enter ALL of my food into this little black box they are installing in my condo. My data is transmitted wirelessly to a doctor, a nutritionist and a counselor who give me feedback DAILY! OMG, talk about big brother! It is 3 months of 100% accountability, all of the time, and I AM DOING IT! I have not lost for 7 months but I am going to now!!

If anyone else is a patient at the Santa Rosa Kaiser, are at least 1 year out from surgery (any kind) and have stabilized (no loss for 6 months), OR have not had surgery, and are interested in participating, there is an orientation meeting this Saturday in the MOB East building, room E3, at 9:30 a.m. They want folks with at least 20 - 30 lbs to lose.

Edited by riley4183

Thanks everyone for the comments!

Pam- My Dr. specifically told me that the part of the stomach used for the sleeve procedure (if done properly) does not stretch like the actual pouch in the by pass procedure.

Riley- It sounds like an awsome program!

I love HUGE too!

I'm gonna call the Lodi WLS support group today and see when they meet next I will keep you all posted :)

Hey Riley your back.............

I have problems following the rules exactly because I don't eat meat. I get as close as I can but I didn't realize going on that it would be such a problem. THe substitute meats are hard to work around/figure into the the rules. But I am still trying :-) Trying new things I find at whole foods and trader joes. And eat more eggs that I would like :-) I am starting to hate eggs again and might need a hiatus soon.

I am not into diets but I would say my biggest downfall is salad and that shouldn't be bad but I LOVe salad and would prefer it over the protiens. Salad should be bad but I think for me it is a downfall ...............cause I can be happy with a salad for a meal and have to force the protien down with that.

I think the food addiction and psych issues are by far the WORST part of all this. I didn't except so much internal chaos when all was said and done. And I didn't expect to see people dropping like flies around me as they lose the weight.........you gotta work the psych part harder than the losing part and that is something you hear but just doing really get until a few months out.

I am wading through the psych stuff hoping that will help me lose faster................soon!!! LOL.

Tina, send me your list of Thrift stores! I would love to check out some new ones. I usally go to Eco Thrift on Greenback and Thrift Town on Fair Oaks.

So Riley you eat 1200 calories a day..........I get so confused cause I hear one thing from some of Kaiser and than other kaiser people say something else..........I thought we were suppose to be well under 1200? Which is hard for me. some say no carbs at all some say complex carbs...........some sayd 1/4 a cup is good some say 1/2 cup...........depends on who you talk to.

So are you just following the binder and the pre op and the band rules.

I serious get confused when I hear different things. I was tol 500 calories was ideal with a properly adjusted band but I only made that with the last fill and it lasted about three weeks and and the restriction let up.............with 15 pounds gone.........but it was so perfect while it lasted I wasn't hungry at all and was losing like crazy there for a bit!! I want that back.

Ali Eco is good..........I know a couple in the antelope/north highlands are that arte great. Both Goodwills. One on Watt and the mother on Hillsdale. There is another one on Norwood right off the freeway that is great.

We should get together and do a thrift store day. You might know some I don't know about

I would not be able to sustain 500 calories day except maybe for 2 days after a fill . . .I think we can do it for a little while after surgery, but definately not a year out!

How much I can eat SO depends on what it is, time of day, TOM and so on. I can hardly eat anything in the early AM - mostly I eat fruit, I can do egg beaters around 10 or 11 but not before. So that's either a late Breakfast or it's kind of snacking! At lunch I can eat 1/4 cup of Protein (tuna, hard boiled egg, etc) but I could easily eat 2 cups of salad with dressing - can you say slider?? So you are right Tina, I eat the salad first and fill up the bottom stomach, then eat my protein to fill the pouch - backwards from what Robin would have me do, but otherwise I get so hungry so soon!!

My problem time of day is 3, I NEED something cause my brain is dead to the world! I have recently found though that if I go see my honey for a late lunch - he makes me something with protein and salad, no starch - and get back to work at 2, I am fine through my 3 o'clock hour - it doesn't hit until 5, and by then its time to go home!

Oh and Tina I get the no meat stuff! I didnt eat it for a year and it was really hard to get the Protein without a bunch of carbs- and I can't eat wheat, so seitan was totally out! Robin turned me on to those Quorn products, which I still eat - they are a fungus like mushrooms, vegan, great stuff but it gets really boring! I went back to fish when my system started revolting against soy :-( and I get way more than I need to now that I'm eating fish AND eggs AND cheese AND lentils. I don't eat starch carbs but I still get plenty of carbs (probably 40 grams gross) from fruits, Beans, lentils, vegies. THANK GOD my band won't let me eat bread, I am ALMOST done missing it a year and a half out of surgery!!

There is no way I can lose weight n 500 calories a day - I was never told a calorie amount to eat, but I know I can lose at 1200 cal a day as I lost 30 lbs on the pre op diet. The program I am in is not a diet at all - it is healthy eating at around 1200 calories and luckily I am doctor/nutritionist monitored.

I sent Dr Im an e-mail asking him about the statistics he referred to in his other e-mail and asking him if they do band to sleeve revisions and this is what he said "Data is published in journals from surgeons around the world. This is not Kaiser data. We don't offer revisions due to the significant risks and possible complications."

I wish you success with your sleeve Ash - didn't mean to imply otherwise. I just am concerned when someone says their surgery is basically foolproof - because none of them are. In his first e-mail Dr. Im said in most cases the hunger will come back eventually with the sleeve.

Tina - even if I was hungry after my 1/3 cup - I know I could never had gotten another fill - I couldn't keep Water down when I was at 7.5 and that is why I had the first unfill to 7. I don't expect to not be hungry at all - .

Gotta head home. I worked on a spreadsheet all day and my eyes and wrist are throbbing.

Riley: I can eat first thing in the morning no difference in restrictions. But I don't eat until about 10 to11 either. Than 3 or 4 and something small about 8-9. BUt that is just cause I am working weird hours right now. I have to drink at least half of my Water in the morning before I eat........I get to thirsty waiting an hour after eating to eat!! THan I have to wait an hour to eat after all the water :-)

The reason I know I can eat more than a cup is because of salad. Haven't tried anything else in that amount. Protiens I couldn't do a cup they would get stuck. So Riley if your at a 1/4 a cup of protien I think that is what they are looking for for good restriction. 1/4 a cup of protiens per meal is the goal i was told.

I think salad and veggies don't count for the 1/4 rule................yea salad is a slider I so know that. But some people can't eat it. I have always been able to eat salad. I can still eat bread if I want to. I have been more restricted before where I couldn't. I like not being able to eat bread!!! LOL!!

I have the quuram Riley. There is also this new one Gardien foods that has lots of protiens that are low fat. 23grams of protien under 200 they have like 20 different choices. But I tell you they are just ok, not great..........I don't know if they have wheat or not but the best one is this Tuscan chicken that has veggies inside of it. I haven't tried them all but they have a wierd taste. I do the lentils like crazy and Beans of all kinds. I used to do yogurt but it got ruled out as a slider when I turned in my food logs. I was doing oatmeal and cream of wheat to but they got ruled out as well. Crackers and egg salad..........crackers got ruled out. Quinoa is my new thing but I am waiting to run it by the dietation later this week. LOTS of protien and mixed in with lentils it tastes pretty good. I wish I could add in fish and not throw it up................maybe I will find some meat at some point that I could actually keep down. I heard salman is not fishy smelling or tasting......

I am working with the nutritionist since I am vegetarian and learning little tips here and there. I am slowing getting it I think. I have to substitute the 1200 calorie plan and sometimes I think that messes up the outcomes. I think vege meats have a bit to many carbs...............I know they have sodium in many of them.

Well gotta get some sleep...............best wishes to all

Edited by swrktp

Riley-Hey lady. How are you? It's good to hear from you. YOu are my inspiration. I need to see you.

It's funny how everyone is different. I totally agree with you Riley I have to eat salad first to fill the bottom pit. Then add my Protein. I love salad and find that it keeps me satisfied. I eat lots of salads with a variety of protein atop. ie. chicken, salmon, shrimp. I also find that I need to eat at least 1000-1200 calories a day to lose. I can't lose eating less than 1000. My body goes into starvation mode and holds on to the weight. I also have to drink lots of Water.

What does your September look like. I would like to schedule a walk early. So that we can plan to get together...

Ashley-you go gurl. The pics look fab.

Candra, Jess???? Where are you ladies? Are you logging on/in???? Miss you! MuuuaaaaHHH!!!!!!

Ash you look great by the way............really, really great!!!! :-) Huge difference!!

Riley stick around I need your input more!! And any veggie ideas that you have or work for you!!

I really want this to work and am trying to figure out just the right combo and formula so I can this last 5o pounds off me.

Like I told the dietition I am not going anywhere until I get this whole thing figured out..............

Monique, hey girl! I would love to get together and walk. I am tied up the weekends of August 14th and September 11th, but other than that, woo-hoo! Let's plan another Vallejo walk SOOOOOOON!

Ash - you're HOT!! sizzzzzle . . . . . keep that awesome motivation up!

Tina r u kidding me, I got my veggie ideas from you! LOL. That Special K loaf is to die for!! My favorites that work good with the band = lentils with morningstar sausage patties (cut up and cooked right in!); and, boiled edamame with trader joe's rustico sauce and low-fat cheese. Great baked, but usually I'll just nuke it. And I know you're sick of eggs, but I (still) eat egg whites or egg beaters with canned green chilis and low fat cheese almost every day - I just nuke it in a coffee mug right here in the office!!

Today for breakfast I have fresh organic raspberries & blackberries, followed by egg whites & lowfat sharp chedder. lunch is a HUGE cucumber & Tomato salad with reduced-fat mozzarella, olive oil and balsalmic vinegar, and fresh garden veggies (green Beans and carrotts that a co-worker brought in). Almonds & pistachios for snack (snacking is bad! Being honest). Chris has been making me some great fish for dinner (wild salmon, whatever - his new house is < 1 block from Whole Foods so everything is fresh & GOOD) but he's dogsitting @ his parents' house tonight so I have NO idea what dinner is going to be! Probably some leftover cucumber & tomato salad, and some tuna with mayo (YES I LOVE REAL MAYO, sorry Reggie!) and NSA pickle relish. I haven't logged all that food yet, but I suspect I will be well over in Protein for the day and good on carbs and Fiber (berries really pack in the fiber), but well over in fat (cheese, olive oil, nuts & mayo).

Note that this is a "good" day, as opposed to a "typical" day :cursing: It's hard freakin' work, every day! Now I need to get my exercise on . . . . .

Edited by riley4183

OK I just logged all that food:

Cals 1266

Carbs 68 gross; 43 net

fiber 25

Protein 97

fat 73 (!)

Vitamin A, C, Calcium all good.

Bottom line: WAY too much fat and more than adequate protein; meaning, I could totally do without the nut snack!!