Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you tell... or keep it a secret?

I am getting banded on 12/11 - and I have only told a handful of people (immediate family, my boss and my closest friend) Just curious what everyone else is doing... are you telling... or keeping it a "secret"? :biggrin:

Hello!

It looks like you've already told a bunch of people :)

I know for myself, I've only told my mom and brother. And they both know they are the only ones I will let know. For now at least.

I'm most likely getting banded in January... Won't know the official date till 12/15 :biggrin:

I've told EVERYBODY. My loved ones, my friends, and the people I work with.

I've even "told" people I've never met through my blog.

It's not like I can hide that I'm fat, on one hand. On the other hand, the best way to stay accountable is to have lots of people who know what you're doing.

Finally, everybody I've told has been supportive. And, I know I'll need that support when the going gets tough.

I fell just short of putting it on television. I did it to eliminate the conversation later on asking are you sick? Why are you losing so much weight . I also used it to my advantage to see who was behind me or who was unsupportive.

I was all about "not telling". I didn't want any negative feedback about just "cutting back and excercise". I finally realized 1. my family deserved to know I was having surgery. I would be very mad if they didn't tell me they were having surgery. and 2. my co-workers and friends were going to find out when I started losing weight. my co-workers (all women) had already started questioning my frequent dr. appts., and I just didnt want the speculation. EVERYONE has been super supportative and i have a hugh cheering section now.

Each person is different, with different friends and family. I just didn't want alot of discussion so I waited until this week to tell everyone.

Good luck to you what ever you decide. Remember this is about you.

Right now Im keeping it a secret but I do plan to be very open about it post op. I just dont want to tell everyone and have something happen then have to explain it all. Right now only my mom & dad and a friend know and of course my husband. Im planning to tell my aunt tomorrow because I will need her help since I have two small children at home and shes always my go to person.

I've seen this talked about many times over. I think this really comes down to a personal choice. For me I tell anyone that is interested. Family, Friends, Co-Workers, etc etc. To me it's a big event in my life that will help me in my journey to be healthy and fit.

At the same time my close aunt who had this surgery done 3 years ago by the same surgeon has hardly told anyone. She didn't even tell the few of us in our family that she had it done until 2 years after the surgeon was done and she had lost most of her weight. Beyond the family and I think some extremely close friends she hasn't told another sole.

So really to me it's a personal choice one in which you have to decide for yourself if your willing to share this event of your life with others or not.

I've told all my family and close friends but thats all. I've only told a few people at work and don't plan on telling anyone else. Although now I've started my pre-op diet I have been getting stares from co-workers while I'm eating my broth. hahaha

There's been a lot of personal drama this year that I had to unfortunately share with friends and co-workers, so, I decided this time around to only share with the closest of my friends and family. As far as work was concerned, I was having a hernia repaired, which they were completely fine with and allowed me to return to work from home as soon as I felt ready.

Regarding the questions - I've been telling everyone that I am getting back into the gym and cutting back severely - which I will be and have already started. What they won't know is that I've had a little bit of help :-)

I told everyone in my family and at work. I've worked with them for 10 years and their was little chance it wouldent get out anyway. I did catch some flack from a few of the other fat people at work, it's kind of intresting really. We have all tried and failed to loose weight together over the years and it's like they think i'm cheating.:(

I told only a few people, but my best friend was the real shock-she was not happy! We are eating buddies and I'm sure she thinks she is losing that.

I went from telling everyone because they see my size now and they will see me decrease ... to now only telling immediate family (husband, children & best sisterfriend). I have heard the comments of people a work and some of others I have encountered in social arenas, and it seems the WLS is a hot topic and I honestly just don't want that much attention. I will be seeking support with persons who are on the same journey through groups and engage in the websites. Perhaps in time, my perception will change, but right now this is the best way for me to protect my focus and not be distracted from my goals. There is enough emotional and mental energy just going through the steps for me with all of the various hats I wear daily.

It is truly a personal decision that can move, grow, & change, as we go through this process.

Edited by needtoseemeagain

I told my wife, my pastor and two friends. My family doesn't know, most my co-workers don't know, most friends don't know, my Water aerobics class doesn't know. None of their business.

They can rejoice with me in losing weight, but it is not their business as to knowing how. (and it is certainly none of my mother's business as to how I financed such a surgery).

There are a number of insurances that cover the surgery anyhow - if someone asks and pushes the issue tell them that your insurance covered it.