Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

At what point did you stop losing?

At what point did you stop losing?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. At what point did you stop losing?

• After losing 30% or less of my excess weight
    • After losing 30-39% of my excess weight
    • After losing 40-49% of my excess weight
    • After losing 50-59% of my excess weight
    • After losing 60 - 69% of my excess weight
    • After losing 70% or more of my excess weight
    • I don't know yet, I'm still losing!

They say the average lap band loss is 50% excess weight loss. Did you do better or worse? At what point did you stop losing? (Your excess weigh is the amount you need to lose to get to a healthy BMI.)

Edited by dietpeach

They say the average lap band loss is 50% excess weight loss. Did you do better or worse? At what point did you stop losing? (Your excess weigh is the amount you need to lose to get to a healthy BMI.)

That's not exactly correct. If your BMI is in the 30s you are likely to lose about 70% of your excess weight. If your BMI is in the 40s you are likely to lose 60% of your excess weight. If your BMI is 50 or more you are likely to lose about 50% of your excess weight.

I should have lost 60% (statistically) and I lost 100% of my excess weight.

I was extremely lucky, my weight loss petered out at about 120% of my excess, I got to a BMI of 22. Being a tall thin build I'm still pretty well covered and I would like to lose more but I'm finding it nearly impossible to budge any more weight. Then again, I refuse to diet.

My doc was making happy noises when I got to 75% but offered me no argument when I said no way was I happy there, that I wanted to lose more.

I should have lost 60% (statistically) and I lost 100% of my excess weight.

Wow! Was it hard for you to lose 100% I've noticed that younger bandsters seem to do better - are you very young?

I'm getting banded next week. I hope I have success!

Wow! Was it hard for you to lose 100% I've noticed that younger bandsters seem to do better - are you very young?

I'm getting banded next week. I hope I have success!

Was it hard? I guess it depends on how you look at it. I worked really hard, I kept calories at 600 daily, I ran 7 miles a day. I earned it if that is what you are asking. LOL

I'm in my mid 40s.

Was it hard? I guess it depends on how you look at it. I worked really hard, I kept calories at 600 daily, I ran 7 miles a day. I earned it if that is what you are asking. LOL

I'm in my mid 40s.

Did you feel ok eating 600 calories and running 7 miles a day??

I can't do it! I start feeling like crap! If I don't eat then I can't make it through a workout. My muscles freeze, I get shakey, I get headaches and I get VERY irritable! I can't make it through my workday let alone a 2 hour workout.

How do you did you do it? did you eat certain things? I have to eat about 1000-1100...I follow the band rules...lots of Protein and eat things with good nutritious calories.

I also ate about 600-700 cals a day and was very active. But, everyone is different. I now need at least 1200-1500 cals a day to maintain. Actually, during the weight loss stage I felt wonderful and had lots of energy. I think getting adequate Protein was a huge factor.

Like Jachut, I am long and lanky and took off about 120% of my excess weight. By staying active I was able to keep muscle tone (well as much as a 53 yr old woman can have!) My doc was fine with the extra 20%. I carried sooooooooooooo much of my excess through my torso and the extra 20% took care of that problem.

Wishing you luck. Follows your doc's rules and you should do just fine.

Did you feel ok eating 600 calories and running 7 miles a day??

I can't do it! I start feeling like crap! If I don't eat then I can't make it through a workout. My muscles freeze, I get shakey, I get headaches and I get VERY irritable! I can't make it through my workday let alone a 2 hour workout.

How do you did you do it? did you eat certain things? I have to eat about 1000-1100...I follow the band rules...lots of Protein and eat things with good nutritious calories.

Dont feel bad, I cant do it either. Wasa was a machine when she was losing, incredibly focussed. I'm not that strong.

To run those sorts of distances, I simply MUST eat carbs, I would die trying to do that on reduced carbohydrates. Not to mention it means I need more calories and if I try to eat 1500 calories of high Protein I get sick, bloated and gassy, it REALLY upsets my stomach, way too rich for me. I have to space it out with more fibrous, airy and instant energy providing foods like bread and cereals, and plenty of fruit.< /p>

Everyone's different, as long as you're happy with how you're losing, it doesnt matter how someone else does it, except that I was very jealous of how fast Wasa did it. It took me over 2 years!

I have lost 100% of my excess weight and had a 40 BMI. I would like to lose more like Jachut and Apple to be at about 120%. I have been working on it for over 2 years and I am hoping by my third year I can just worry about maintanance. I guess I am the "Queen" of slow weight loss. I guess I should be happy it's going in the right direction.

i have not lost 100% of my excess weight. for me to do so, i would need to get down to 105lbs & i haven't been that weight since jr high.

i'm short & curvy with a muscular build - going down to 105 was not my goal; 125 was. i still took my BMI from 36 to 23, and not sure my starting body fat % but it's 19.2 right now - 17% is my new goal.

i have not lost a single lb since the summer, in fact i am anywhere from 123-127 on any given day - however i've not let up on exercise and my size and body definition improves weekly. most clothes i'm a size 4; since i like to be comfortable i have been buying 6's and having them tailored....i'm use to that be a shorty:wink:

i am pretty comfortable where i currently am - would like the butt to be a bit firmer and the tummy a tad flatter...but overrall i'm please w/the results.

Luluc if you've got a BMI of 23, then you've lost OVER 100% of your excess weight! 100% would take you to a BMI of 25. And your body fat is extraordinary, WELL below max levels. So you've not got any excess weight on you!

Goes to show how different all our bodies are. My BMI may be 22, but my body fat level is still up there at about 25%. I truly should be lighter than I am, I dont have that much muscle. I am quite toned and you can see muscles, but I have a lightly muscled build, not meant to be curvy.

Luluc if you've got a BMI of 23, then you've lost OVER 100% of your excess weight! 100% would take you to a BMI of 25. And your body fat is extraordinary, WELL below max levels. So you've not got any excess weight on you!

Goes to show how different all our bodies are. My BMI may be 22, but my body fat level is still up there at about 25%. I truly should be lighter than I am, I dont have that much muscle. I am quite toned and you can see muscles, but I have a lightly muscled build, not meant to be curvy.

i like your math MUCH better jacqui!!!

so when i went to my drs online calculator to figure out percentage of excess weight - i just NOW realized that 105lbs puts me at the lowest end of "normal" BMI, not the higher end, like i am at 23. whew!!! i was thinking 105 was just plain ridiculous on my frame....LOL . i'm such a goober.

body fat - i do a lot of weight training, and well i force myself to run....still don't love it like you do - but it's a necessary evil if i want to eat the foods i want to.

My BMI is 25 down from about 40 so that puts me at about 100% loss and at the tippy top of the normal BMI range. However, I would still like to lose 16 pounds to get to my high school weight as a bonus.

I am surprised that almost everyone who responded to this thread has lost 100% or more, lol. However, I can tell you that there are common themes among those of us who achieved being in the "normal" BMI range.

1) Long-term commitment to banding and maintaining a healthy lifestyle.

2) Following bandster rules most of the time.

3) Maintaining a healthy diet which may or may not be low-carb, but still avoiding "junk" most of the time (an occasional bite on a special occasion is normal if it can be kept within bounds).

4) Exercise, exercise, exercise . . . some people lose weight without it but I think the majority of us who achieve our ultimate "dream" weights make it a normal part of our lives. For me, it is about 3 sessions of an hour weekly plus lots of little stuff like walking whenever I can, taking a bike, running up and down the stairs, etc.

I also forgot to mention that I can't lose weight under 900 calories a day and am typically 1000-1200 calories daily (now 1200-1600 with pregnancy but havent gained yet). Some of us went super low-caolire but it doesn't work for everyone. You have to find the range that keeps you losing and tweak it when you get to a plateau.