Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need help with portion control

Need some ideas on how to control my portion sizes. Do you ever reach a point when if you don't stop at by a certain time you vomit? Basically how do you know when to stop eating?

:blush:

the same way you knew to stop eating before - you feel full. It just happens sooner.

If you allow yourself to feel REALLY full, like stuffed, it will probably proceed to pain and vomiting fairly soon.

Most people will reply to that "oh, but if I knew when to stop eating I wouldnt have needed a lap band". But think about it, you didnt eat all day every day, did you? You did sometimes get full and stop?

Perhaps I'm assuming, I realised after banding I did eat normally. Its just that full for me came after way too many calories for my energy needs had been ingested. It might not have been too much for someone else. But basically I ate when I was hungry and I stopped when I was full.

Since banding, I've done the same, but I have learned to stop a little before completely full.

I dont know really how else to explain it. If you're starting to feel a bit stretched and not hungry anymore stop eating.

As to actual portion size, personally I think aiming for an "amount" is pretty silly. Its dysfunctional - you need to listen to your body. If your body is telling you to eat a cup and you're losing weight then there's no problem, eat a cup! If your body is telling you to eat a cup and you're not losing weight, then get a fill so your body will tell you to eat a bit less. Its that simple. Portion sizes are unique to everyone, its entirely dependent on your level of restriction, energy needs and how your loss is going.

I do exactly the same thing that Jachut has suggested (maybe it's the way Australian Drs teach us to work the band?). I don't Portion Control. I don't count calories. I eat until I'm satisfied (which happens before 'full'. 'Full' would make me pb) and I am generally satisfied after not a lot of food.

If I were consistently needing more food to feel similarly satisfied, I would see my Dr for more fill. In fact one of the 'indicators' of needing more fill, he keeps telling me, is not feeling satisfied for as long with the same amount of food.

I am like the ladies above. I have never measured, and I eat until full. I do tend to eat fast on occasion, that of coarse leads to being overfull. Not comfortable. I also sometimes forget about listening to full because something tastes good. For me that one is the hardest to overcome, and can't be fixed with the band. You just have to start listening to your body more closely, instead of concentrating on the food in front of you. This as you can see, is easier said than done. I am still not perfect with it and probably never will be, just more aware.

Good point Lauri - eating slowly is key to recognising fullness. Stop periodically during your meal, let it settle, see how you feel and whether to go on.

I really blew it during Thanksgiving. I got a fill on the 12th so I wouldnt and had restriction for a few weeks but on Thanksgiving I didnt really feel it. I ate small amounts throughout the day. I even ate bread which I have not been able to do. Did you sometimes have restriction for only a few weeks?

I take a different route. I used to over eat every meal. So, to start to figure out what "normal" portions look and feel like I weighed everything on a scale. I am 9 months post-op (today actually) and I now know about 1/2 cup of something looks like.

I don't measure everything all the time. I have the scale on the counter and weigh stuff when I think I need to. Most of the time I can eye ball it and be comfy with what I ate.

I fully agree with their eating slowing conversation. I count bites to help with that. I hope that as I get further and further into life banded I will get more use to the slow eating, the full feeling and manage to stop the counting.

Eating until I'm full would not work for me. For some reason my band doesn't work that way. I'm still hungry even after I've eaten probably more than I should have. I do have to measure amounts.

Of course, this was before I've been experiencing problems with my band. Now I'm basically on liquids until I can figure out my reflux problems.

Edited by lindata