Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What do you wish you knew before?

The only advise that i can maybe add is that you may want to make sure you get off all caffiene. If you don't you may end up with a massive headache from withdrawl, and trying to recover with a horrible headache sucks!

Do any of you Truly miss the foods you used to eat? or is it less fun going out with people because you can't eat what you used to? or do the benifits outweigh the things you are missing?

Other than soft drinks, I don't think there is anything I haven't had that I want, I just eat about 1/3 what I did pre-banding. We went out last night and had pizza. We ordered a 12 inch ham on a thin whole wheat crust. I ate 1 piece and was full for 4 hours. That would have NEVER happened pre-banding.

I dont' miss anything. I dont miss being 50 lbs heavier and 3 sizes bigger! I love my band and my new life. My husband made the comment last night that I carry myself so much better now. My self confidence is soaring. I still have a long way to go, but this is the best thing I have ever done.

Thank you all for your answers! I feel a little more prepared now that I have some "inside info".

I wish I knew that even though the pain is pretty bad the first few days that you feel much better fairly soon.

I wish I knew that I would not poop for several days and when I finally did it was like rabbit pellets since you are eating so little at first.

I wish I knew that you have these strange emotions because you used to just mindlessly snack and then you have this restless feeling you do not know what to do with.

I wish someone told me that it may take up to three fills to start having real restriction.

I wish I knew earlier that if you don't lose at least 5 pounds in a month get a fill.

I wish I knew that there would be stagnant time with no weight loss but if you remain persistant you will get there.

I wish I never slacked off from exercising.

I can say it is absolutely worth it!!!

great big post numero DOS for me here...

I had my first consult 11/06/08 and just got my op date yesterday - Jan 14 09.

I guess I have really good insurance or something (??) because the dr isn't making me really jump through any hoops at all. No psych eval or anything -- just produce 5 years worth of records proving I've been overweight (no prob, bob, I've got TWENTY if you want!)

Having been on a thousand programs, I'm not afraid of time because you are taught that slow weight loss = healthy weight loss.

I'm not scared of pain as I've had plenty of that (heck, I'll take some physical discomfort if it means I can walk around comfortably after awhile... having arthritis in your TWENTIES sucks BIG TIME), don't think this is a quick fix, etc etc.

I have read my literature and I see where you have to restrict yourself after the surgery and after fills, but I don't really see where you have to give up "food" forever and ever... I'm really looking forward to eating what I want (within reason) and feeling FULL after a few bits and not after a few COURSES.. you know what I mean.

Everything I've read said it really only takes about a week before you can resume normal activity... so I'm gonna take two weeks from work to be safe... someone else said 3... is that really necessary? or can I get by with my 2? The longer I sit around the house, the less active I would probably be so I think maybe it would be better to get back to work quicker.

I know that anesthetic makes me nauseous and cold so I plan on telling them that ahead of time.. other than that, I feel pretty confident...

the only thing creeping me out is the idea of having a foreign body in me... ya'll say you can't feel it, right? what about the port? will I be able to feel that? something about that just kind grosses me out, but I'm ready to take what I can get.

:-)

I thnk two weeks off of work is perfect! You feel a lot better by then. I took two weeks off and could have gone back sooner but was glad I took the time to let my body heal. By three weeks you will be feeling pretty normal. You can feel the port when you press against the skin where it is and I do have to say I thought of the Alien movie for a long time when I felt it. You will be too sore to touch there for the first few weeks byt now I can push all around it with no discomfort. Good luck!

Great posts except for the few who seemed to regret the band. They are kind of scarey, and day 2 of pre-op diet is whipping my rear.

I see a lot of people saying to take at least two weeks off from work. I had planned to take off one week and then do very light work (just do paper work and stay at my desk as much as I can) do you think that will be enough time off? I'm worried now seeing the other post.

Hi Teresa. Everyone is different, but I felt pretty good after a week. I went back to work and I chase a 4 year old all day. If you have no complications, you should be able to do the work you described. I think getting up, out, and about is sometimes better for you than laying around. I'm sure you will be tired at the end of the day - I was. Again.... everyone is different. Good luck to you!!! Becky

I see a lot of people saying to take at least two weeks off from work. I had planned to take off one week and then do very light work (just do paper work and stay at my desk as much as I can) do you think that will be enough time off? I'm worried now seeing the other post.

If you've had surgery before, how quickly did you recover? I had TWO surgeries in August and still bounced back very quickly from the 2nd. One week off was plenty for me. One week off is the norm, actually; some people do truly need more, some just take it because they can. But unless you know you have problems recuperating, one week should work for you!