Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone,

I am due to have surgery at the first of the year. I really want the lap band, however after talking to my doctors they both say thet I should go woth the bypass cause I need to lose about 100lbs and with the lap band you only lost about 50% of your extra weight. I am scared as hell of the bypass :smile2: but I need to drop the weight. :thumbup: How much did you lose and how long did it take. I have pressure in my spine that is causing pressure in brain due to being to big so the weight needs to leave like asap. So can anyone let me know if I should stick with the lap band? Thanks a lot

:crying::blink:

5'3 258 lbs

Hi Chentel,

When I went in for my first appt with surgeon on May 19, 08, he too suggested the bypass or the sleeve, because I had so much to lose. But after all the research i did on the bypass it too scared me a great deal. There are too many complications that can come from the bypass. I also had a few friends that had the bypass done and they had Vitamin deficiencies, and was sick all the time. He told me he would do the surgery if that's what I wanted but told me I had to lose some weight prior to surgery (25 to 30 pds). I lost my 30 pds and was banded Aug. 27, 08. This was the best decision I have ever made. I did not put this weight on over night and it will not go away over night, but I'm in for the long haul. I'm down 3 sizes in clothes, have more energy and starting to feel good about myself again. 2 1/2 months post op and i'm down 33 pounds and off 1 blood pressure pill:thumbup:. Good luck with getting your banded. If I can help let me know!

Heather

Consultation: May 19, 2008 409

Surgery: August 27, 2008 379

1st Fill: Oct. 1, 2008 361

2nd Fill: Nov. 3, 2008 350

11/14/08: 345:party:Met 1st goal

Hi Chentel

I just got band so i don't know from experience, but when i went to see my Dr. he said i could loose about 100 lbs on the lap band. I also have about 100 to loose. It looks to me like a lot of people on here have needed to drop about 100 and have been successful. Good luck !!

I would ideally like to lose about 150 pounds (though 100 would be just fine, too). My doctor is just fine with me getting the lap band, but wanted me to understand that it's going to take more time to lose the weight initially. However, five years out lap band and bypass patients look about the same.

You should make your decision for YOU. Weigh the pros and cons of both and then decide. If you work at it, the weight is going to come off with either option.

I just got lapband on oct 16 and weigh the same as you. I dont think you should get bypass. I;ve lost 17 lbs so far in 3 weeks. You lose 50% of you weight in the first year and then it slows down a little, but you will lose it all. Look at everyon'es stories. If you dont have a co-morbidity issues like Diabetes or other things, go for lapband. Why cut you open, re-route intestines, and lose hair? Cause, let me tell you. YOU WILL LOSE HAIR. I have been to support groups and because you lose so fast, its a shock to your body. It takes longer to recover and there is no turning back with that. Think long and hard before you do that.

Hi Chentel,

Im new here too so I dont have a ton of experience.But I had a similar experience except I went in thinking of the bypass and my surgeon talked me into lap band! I have very severe IBS and he felt the Bypass would make it worse.He told me that I could expect to lose about 75 lbs and I think he was aiming low so if I lose more I'll be ecstatic!

My girlfriend who was going thru the same process,same surgeon asked about lap band and he recommended bypass as she has about 120lbs to lose & really no health conditions.........so I guess it depends & I think it's a personel choice.Do what you feel comfortable doing.

A co-worker who is a RN & also had bypass told me they are both a tool & it all depends how you use it....one is not necessarily better than the other......I also know of others who have lost 100lbs or more on lapband.....I think it may just be a little more work??

Good Luck......hope it helps!!:smile2:

Edited by lacasst

The lap band to me is more sure long term. By Pass you will lose faster, but if you stretch your pouch, then you can more easily regain the weight.

When they say you lose about 50% of your weight, they are talking averages. Iv already made up my mind Im losing all the weight down to the 120s again, no matter what. Im not average, Im more determined. You will have to make the band work and get fills regular. One girl who said the band didnt work for her, also said she travelled for her job and so didnt get any fills because she couldnt get them during the week, so she just did nothing and surprise surprise she gained and got diabetes.

It's up to you more so with the band.

My wife had the band done about 3 years ago and has lost about 100 lbs. I had the band last month and have lost 20 lbs so far. My dad had the bypass last year and has lost nearly 200 lbs, but is also doing wonderful. He is healthier than I ever remember him in all my years. I think it all depends on your current weight and health as to what you need to do. I think you may have misunderstood, because doctors say that you should lose about 50% of your excess weight within the first year. Your body and metabolism will begin to adjust and the weight loss will become slower. But it will come off! You have to understand, this is NOT a quick fix and a race to lose all your weight. This is a lifestyle change and you have to be committed to make the necessary changes in your life to be successful...along with following your doctor's guidelines. If you are in doubt, get a second opinion.

Thank you everybody! u dont know how much all the post have helped me calm my worries. I am looking forward to getting it and understand what i need to do in order to get to my gaol weight. thank you again everybody

Hi Chentel, I was scheduled for the bypass on 8/4/08. At the last minute (7/31/08) I changed my mind and decided to get the band. It's the best decision I have ever made. My husband was very concerned about the bypass. I continued to tell him I was doing this to get healthy. He searched and found articles from people that have had so many problems. Articles including statictis showing an average life span after the bypass was 30 years.

The one quote that changed my mind was "I did this to be healthier but at the time I didn't realize I was already healthy just overweight." This described me to a T. I do not have hight blood pressure, diabeties, or anything else. I weighed 276 lbs and am 5'2 on the day of surgery 10/13 and have lost 24lbs already.

The Friday before my suregery I had one last appt with my doc. There was a lady there checking out and she asked if I had my suregery yet. I responed that I was having it on Monday. Told her I had switched from bypass to the band. She said "Ah! that is so good my neighber had bypass 2 years ago and has had to have 3 blood transfusions because of the deficienes of the bypass.

And here's the kicker... My neice had the bypass on 7/16/08 and has lost 104lbs. Her hair is falling out in clumps and she can not eat any meat at all. Honestly she looks bad. I fear for her well being. With all that being said, just need to educate yourself and most of all follow your instincts.

:smile2:Hi Chentel:

I was banded last week and I tossed the idea of gastric bypass around as well, since I have 100 pounds to get rid of. Anyway, after doing lots of research I decided to do the band, becuase it was less invasive and has a quicker recovery time. I am glad I selected the band.

Now, there are many people on this web site that have lost 100 pounds from the band. There is a thread some where on this web site that tells their stories. They will give you hope and inspire you.

Good luck!

on may 15, 2008 i weighed 332 lbs. i had surgery on july 31 i weighed 304 lbs and on today november 17, 2008 i weigh 227 lbs. total weight loss so far 105 lbs in 6 months. i feel great and looking good . go for it .

I think the thing to remember too is that small losses of weight can make big changes to health. We all want to lose all our excess weight but remember that as far as your problem with your spine goes, you wont have to lose ALL of your excess weight to improve your health.

So there's no need to jump into a bypass if it worries you simply for that reason. there's every likelihood that even if you were one who didnt lose all your excess weight, you can still improve your health and quality of life with the 50% loss and not jeoapardise nutrition in the process.

But you CAN lose it all. It just takes reasonable - not ridiculous - work and commitment.

100% loss is entirely possible. If you can stay committed, follow the banding rules, get moderate exercise, and eat a healthy diet then there is no limit. I don't mean kill yourself at the gym 2 hours everyday and live on celery and lettuce . . . I mean make reasonable attempts to live a healthy lifestyle.

50-60% is just an average - not all banded people are really trying or following bandster rules. At three years out, statistics show that being banded is similar to gastric bypass. However, there are a ton of health benefits to losing at a more reasonable rate.

It is such a personal decision. Are you prone to eating sweets or ice-cream, do you graze alot throughout the day . . . then perhaps R&Y is better. Are you an overeater who just wants seconds or thirds or a heavy evening eater . . . then perhaps banding is better.

R&Y scared me to death as well . . . but now that I am only a couple of pounds away from a normal BMI, I know that I made the right decision for me. I have lost a little over 95% of my excess weight in 10 months. . . will I make it to 100% . . . absolutely!!!!!

Hi everyone... I was banded on 4/16/08, and down 53lbs. Some people think that was quick.. but it wasn't quick enough for me! For the last month I've lost nothing at all... Trust me, it gets discouraging!!! You just have to remember, you didn't gain it over night... nor did you gain it all over the last 6 mo... As long as it's coming off... who cares how long it takes. So far, I'm really am happy with my results. I do exercise every day.. I walk 2 miles on my treadmill 30 min... You have to work at it!!! and it's NOT EASY!!! Eventually we will all meet our GOAL!!! You all must remember the band is a TOOL... and not a automatic Weight loss system!!! I have relatives that have had the Gastric done, and I have to be honest... the weight came off of them QUICK!! My cousin lost over 100 in 7 months!! She takes tons of pills, and looks like CRAP! Sorry to say that, but I don't know how else to describe it. Very withdrawn... face sunken in, lost alotta hair... white as a ghost... soooo un-healthy looking!!! I think when you loose it slow, you body adjusts sooo much better and less flabby skin and you look sooo much healthier!! What ever you decide, I wish you best of luck!! God bless you all on your weight loss!!!