Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Restriction following surgery???

Amount of restriction when band was placed?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Amount of restriction when band was placed?

• I had a lot of restriction with band placement
    • I had some restriction with band placement
    • Other than being sore, couldn't tell I had been banded

Was banded on Monday, Nov 3rd with the Realize band. My surgeon confirmed proper placement with a contrast swallow test on the fluoroscope. He said I may have some restriction from the swelling, but generally I would have nothing until my first fill in 6 weeks or so.

Anyone have restriction immediately following band placement? My band was placed with NO fill... empty.

Hi:

Yes, I felt restriction after surgery, and before my first fill. In fact, I got stuck my first week with mushies - tuna - yuck! I'm so glad that I got my band.

Best wishes to you.

Sue

Congratulations on your band. The Realize band is supposed to be placed in empty, so that's normal. I had tight restriction for the first few weeks from swelling. After that, I had less restriction, but I was didn't have a problem with out of control hunger while only eating three 1/2 cup to 1 cup meals per day, heavy on Protein with an added healthy, low/no cal snack. By the fourth week, I was feeling more hunger, and doctor had me substitute my snack with a high protein snack, such as tuna, egg, or Greek yogurt. That satisfied me, and I had my first fill at six weeks out. Two weeks later, I had another fill. The second fill was just a few days ago, so I'm still on liquids, but I can definitely tell I have more restriction. It's still not to the level I had the first week out of surgery, but I'm not sure that I'd want to be that tight on a full-time basis.

Banded August 28, 2008 first fill at my second visit 2.5 ccs took out 1.5 ccs of air. I felt restriction right after surgery, but feel that I need another fill now. My appointment is Tuesday and will see what the doc says.

Lost 44 so far

Good luck to you, ANdrea

I was banded on 9/26 and had minimal restrictoin in the begining (mostly swelling) now I feel hungry! So my first fill was scheduled for 12/1 and I bumped it up till next week. I am trying to eat small amounts of food and plenty of protien. Now on normal food I do get fuller quicker but it's definatley more than 1/2 cup. Good Luck!!

It sounds like a cop out, but it really is true that everyone's experience is unique. There are no 100% truths about this little beauty. For me, I felt restriction the first 3 weeks after surgery with no fill. Doctor does not do the first fill until 6 weeks post op. Those next three weeks were kind of tough. Could eat more than 1 cup. Not a lot more, but more than I should have. But I did eat the good stuff. Protein, veggies. When you are allowed to eat real food (not the liquids or the mushies), I think that is the most dangerous time to overeat. I had my first fill yesterday and it is working. He said to go easy yesterday and today and I understand why. It kinda feels like it did right after surgery. Can't eat a lot and really don't want to.

I was banded on October 6 and have had no restriction. My first fill is next week and I'm HOPING I start to lose weight. Everything now is pretty much the same as it was before and I'm hanging in there for the fill, otherwise, I would be feeling very discouraged.

I was banded on 10/13/08 and could feel the band in right after surgery due to the swelling. I completely forgot I had surgery after the pain went away about 1 week later.

I'm over 3 weeks out and still feel some restriction, but am still able to eat much less then before I was banded. Maybe it's because my doctor mentioned that many patients do not feel very hungry for up to several weeks just following surgery :rolleyes2:

I'm scheduled for my first fill on the 24th, but am not even sure if I need it at this point.

Hello fellow bandsters. I was banded on Monday 11/03/2008 and I have a hard enough time with my Water least of all any Protein. The first night was hell with the hiccups and the frothy Fluid...lol

I'm now 2 days post-op and fell better, but still have some issues with the hiccups. I sipped on an Atkins drink today to make sure that I get some Protein in me, but other than that just Water, water and water...lol

As far as hunger goes, what is hunger??? LOL

I was banded 29/10. Went to see the dietitian today and she was a bit concerned when I told her I can feel the band. Not confirmed by doctor yet, but it appears he put some fill in during the operation. She said some doctors do that if you have no fat around the vital organs themselves. I'm assuming I must have some, because I have been feeling restriction, but its not a regular thing at the moment.

i feel as though i healed very quickly, and was back to "normal" after the first week. i never had restriction, never have had anything get stuck...so i feel like i have no band at all. managed to shed about 14 pounds just on will power. my 1st fill is Nov 20th.

Omg I had my first sliming incident today....kinda gross, and it hurt my chest like hell!

I'm just glad that I know what it feels like and my husband is understanding knowing that it's kinda normal for me to figure out what works now that I'm a bandster.

I had great restriction right after surgery,but as the swelling went down so did the restriction..

This is with me as well. The first week, it was very hard to drink anything. This week, I find that I can drink very easily. Sometimes too well. I move to mushies next week so maybe I will notice more restriction then.

This is with me as well. The first week, it was very hard to drink anything. This week, I find that I can drink very easily. Sometimes too well. I move to mushies next week so maybe I will notice more restriction then.

when you are able to eat real food "do it" and stay away from the mushy stuff that goes down easy.It is easy to set up a pattern of eating around the band by eating what goes down easy.If you stick with whole foods you will get full faster you just have to take small bites and chew it well.