Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Beer or alcohol help

I am just wondering if anyone has tried drinking beer? I talked with my doc and he said I could but I need to understand that the gas will not release as quickly and can cause some discomfort. I have always liked to have a couple of drinks when I bowl on my weekly wed. nights and have always preferred my Bud light (always was a beer drinker :smile2:). I have been having a couple of uv blue with Water and adding propel lemonade for flavoring which is very good but I am getting sick of them. I am looking for any other ideas on alcohol choices, which are low calorie (not alot of juices or carbonation), or your input on if you drank some beer and how it felt. Thanks

With my program, I have been told from the get go that I can not have carbonated drinks at all, EVER! I know every doctor is different but they say the carbonation can cause band slippage.

well im a liquor drinker and ive had many a tia maria and diet coke with no problem other that it hurts your weight loss, after i have a good few drinks - my weight goes up by about 2 lbs. My sil is a beer drinker and she has had no problems either. try a small one first and sip it to see how you get on. I know ur not supossed to drink but i enjoy a few drinks and i said i wouldnt be happy if i got the band and then had no life...

I am looking for any other ideas on alcohol choices, which are low calorie (not alot of juices or carbonation), or your input on if you drank some beer and how it felt. Thanks

i prefer wine (chardonay/cabernet), or a cold martini here / there myself & include them in daily calories for the day....usually a longer run will allow for an additional cocktail..:)

though i never was a big beer drinker - i will have one every now & then and haven't experienced any problems with the carbonation...not sure about soda, as i haven't had any really in a yrs time.

Being a recovering diet soda addict, I have avoided sodas as a whole. I'm afraid that I'll start craving them again...and moderation is not my strong suit!

I have had a glass of beer a few times, and had no trouble with it. I don't have any restriction, so I'm not worried about slippage at all. I figure that you'll get really uncomfortable from the carbonation and will lay off of it before you actually cause a slip. Carbonation is no more dangerous than overeating...but both can be culprits in causing a slip. It's not as easy as you think...but still something to be avoided as a whole.

I guess you'd have to ask yourself if the taste would be worth the risks?

My Dr. is of the never, ever, ever school of thought on carbonation so thats all I know. Its ok by me though since I don't really drink alcohol and my drink of choice is tea.

Is there some other alcohol that you like that you could add to a low cal, no carbonation drink like a flavored crystal light or tea?

I've had three fills and have decent restriction. I have been drinking beer again for about two months and have not experienced any problems at all. Just know it's empty calories and plan accordingly.

Brad

I've had a few beers here and there since banding. I prefer a cold crisp Corona over liquor anyday. I have not felt any discomfort, but that's probably because I'm a slow drinker and burp a lot!!

I've only been out drinking about 3 times since banding, and its always been with my DH and/or my friend who's also banded, so they understand when I'm burping and I don't get embarassed.

So I guess if you are packing them down in record time, then yeah, you've got something to worry about.

I've had no problems with liquor or wine, but beer is tough for me to drink. I split a beer with my wife a couple of weekends ago and I could only take small sips 10-15 minutes apart. I enjoyed my beer, but it took me almost 2 hours to drink 6 ounces.

Bryan

weight.png