Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Frist fill today, OUCH!!!

I had my surgery 9/23, just got back to work from having my first fill and it was a lot of worrying about nothing. He had me lie down on the table, asked me to do a stomach crunch, felt for the port, told me to relax, stuck in the numbing medicine, had me crunch again and next thing I knew he said relax, you are done. Put a bandaid on, had me drink some Water, made sure everything was okay and off I went. With him reminding me of my Portion Control, water intake, soft food for today, and call me if you have any problems. I honestly do believe the single best thing you can do for yourself in this process is research the surgeon well, ask for references from previous patients, research who does what in the office in regards to all aspects of the process and make a good choice from that perspective. Just my own personal two cent opinion, but I don't buy this attitude of the surgeon just "installs the band". I have invested a lot in this decision and I don't just mean money.

Well, I just realized that I'm a lousy proof reader!! I was glad to read other's experiences. I think as time goes by when I am not so tender that the fills will get easier. The only part that hurt was them feeling around, the needle poke I didn't even feel. It wasn't my intent to scare anyone, and I'm glad that for others it was a breeze!! :rolleyes2:

You may want to have a talk with your doctor. My doctor gave me a shot to numb the area so I would not feel anything once he started probing. After the shot, it was pretty painless.

Helen

I am going for my first fill today and this 5 weeks and 2 days after surgery. I can't wait. I want to fill resticted as I have only lost 25lb. since surgery and I really was hoping I would have lost more. But I know it is going to be slow so I am taking it as it is. I hope that I will loose some more weight now before I have a family occasion in two weeks and I want to fit into something really nice.

I am getting my first fill on the 20th at the 6 week mark. I am very nervous about where they might find my band because I had a nasty coughing sneezing cold 2 1/2 weeks out from surgery. I wasn't eating much up until then and now I can eat a full cup of food without even feeling full. I am still very tender around my largest cut so I hope this doesn't hurt much. I hope the insurance pays for the doctor calls but my copays haven't paid for office visits for over a year now.

Last week I didn't loose but the edema came back too so I figured it was Water weight. I started a daily calorie diet and try to keep it in the 800-1200 calorie range and do a lot of walking 3 or 4 days a week. I hope the band is in the right place yet. I will be glad when this first time is over.

I had my first fill yesterday 11/11. The only thing that hurt was the shot that I was given to numb the area. I had my fill under fluro. My Dr tried on the 6th to fill it but was unable to access the port (he tried 2-3 times but did not wiggle the needle around searching for it) he decided it would be better for me if I had it done where he could see it on the screen.

I will say it was really neat to be able to see the band, tubing and the port on the screen.:D

So far I am on liquids for 24 hours so I don't know if I have restriction yet or not.

I was banded on 10/01/08 and went for my first fill Friday 11/7. It was a terrible experience for me. My Dr. did give me the numming shot but after sticking me 4 times still couldn't find my port. The sticks were not bad but the wiggling trying to find the port was painful. I had to go to the hospital today and he did my fill using xray. This was GREAT! It only took about 5 minutes and was painless. Only problem was that he was only able to put little over 1cc in my 10cc band without me feeling like the Water I was swallowing was coming back up. I'm worried I didn't get enough fill. I go back in December for my second fill. Hopefully now that he knows about where it is it will not be as bad this next time. For a first time fill and if you still have some swelling I would suggest doing it by xray. Much easier and painless. I have already lost 30lbs. Don't get discouraged! Stick with it! You'll be so happy in the long run! Good luck!

hi, i had surgey on 9/8, have lost 15 lbs..had my first fill yesterday. It was painless. My Dr is an excellent surgeon and the whole procedure was smooth.

I can already tell by what i ate for Breakfast that there is a difference. I feel much fuller after eating a fairly small amount of food. Im hoping the fill helps the weight loss speed up but as the leader of my lap band support group says..you cannot rely only on the procedures. What i choose to eat, and how much i exercise is key.

Thanks.

I am sorry you had a bad experience with the fills my doctor lays me on the table sprays numbing stuff and since I am under Fluro he can see as he goes in and hits the port everytime and I am done. This last couple of times he has hit scar tissue it seems I have alot built up so it has taken a minute longer these last 2 times but he gets it in everytime, and NO PAIN.

I had my surgery in March, 2008. I went in April for first fill, and May for second fill. Neither one was painful at all. I was pleased, even though my port has been at a 45 tilt since day one. I then took off June and July because I felt full when I ate, not hungry, and I was losing well. Then I started getting hungry and the weight loss slowed, so I started back with fills. August fill was a piece of cake, so was Sept. Then in October, I walked in and there was a new person giving the fills. It took her three tries to find the port and it was very uncomfortable. I went back on Monday of this week for another fill. It was the same person and I was a bit nervous, but this time she found it the first time. She is a little rougher that the person who did it before, so it was a little uncomfortable, but I was happy for the one stick. The person doing the fill has alot to do with your experience that day. Oh yeah, I always get it done with fluro.

Hello to all, I had my LB surgery on Oct. 24, and had my first fill Nov. 17, it did not hurt at all, in fact I ask the Doctor are you already though? He put 3cc in my band and told me to be on protien shakes ,Water,crystel light for at least 3 days and that I was doing great, I have lost 15 pounds since my surgery, LOVE MY BAND

God Bless

bradley18:thumbup:

I was so scared when I went to get my fill. I was FRANTIC!! Serious. I was crying on the way to the Drs. Oh what have I done? I kept remembering how big the needle was and it made me worse. I still drove to the Drs though. If I want this to work then I have to go. I got there talked to the Dietician, told her my fears, she agreed there is a big needle. thanks not much help. He came in and we talked. And I laid down for the NEEDLE. ok it wasnt as bad as I thought it would be. There was a little pain, nothing like how I imagined it. I laid there and took deep breaths, and he got it the first try, no re-pokes. He did have to move around some, I'm only about the 11th patient with the band, that he's worked with. It was not as horrible as I thought. Seriously, I wont cry next time. ps I did take a shot of vicodin before I left. Maybe that helped? lol

WOW am I glad I don't have your experiences!!! My fills are quick (less than the time it takes to unzip my jeans), no clothing is removed, no numbing sprays...just an unzip of my jeans, lower the band of my underwear (Port is just below my belly button), the nurse does a one swipe with cotton swab, quick injection with a very small needle , and that's it. No poking or prodding - in 9 months she has never had to probe for the port, or poke around, just unzip, swipe, jab, zip and I'm outta there....well, to the waiting room to drink Water. But if that goes and stays down, then I just leave.

I had my first fill yesterday the 21st and it did hurt. It wasnt the needle itself that hurt it was the pushing looking for the port and then moving the needle around that was the worst. At first we thought it might be too tight so the Dr went back in to try and take some out and couldnt find the port the 2nd time, after a few minutes of trying I said enough, lets just try it as is and see how it goes, if I have any problems I am supposed to call the office monday to come back in and try again to unfill. So far it seems like it might be ok but I havent started back to soft foods yet so the test is still to come. I did lose 8 pounds in the 2 weeks betweeen appointments so I was very happy about that. I am hoping the pain goes away as time goes on with the fills.

Well, I've had my second fill now, and it didn't hurt as much as the first one. The incision site over the port is not as tender as it was the first time, which was a relief, but it is still painful when they are poking around with their fingers for it. My surgeon did the fill this time, and it took him a little wiggling around with the needle to find the right spot. The tech/resident who did it the first time was better I think. I wish I could ask for him without offending my Dr!! Anyway, I don't think I will be getting any fills using xray, it has not been discussed. I was disappointed with the 1cc I recieved for my second fill though. I'm hoping for at least 2cc for my third, but I don't think I'll get it. The way I see it is since now I will be paying cash for them, I should get what I want. I was pretty tight throughout Thanksgiving, which was a good thing!! My mother sat next to me during dinner and I felt kind of bad I couldn't do her excellent dinner justice like the rest of the family!! I have FINALLY started dropping a couple of pounds, and I'm hoping to join the new employee fitness center at work to get some exercise.