Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Brand new here and really angered by...

Sometimes the majority can be wrong. Might doesn't always equal right. In Canada we have the Charter of Rights which is designed to protect the rights of minorities. The Charter carries the same weight for Canadians as your Constitution does for you. It was because of the Charter of Rights that the issue of the rights of gay folk to marry first became an issue and then became law.

So same sex couples can legally marry up here and, as I have said in an earlier post, folks are now used to this. It really is no big deal except to those couples who can now marry and who were once unable to....

I just wanted to thank all the people who have posted who understand how important this issue, and these rights, are to people who are denied them.

If you don't agree, this isn't a jab at you. I just have been touched by the of passion in the opposition of this suppression.

Thank you.

Edited by ReadySteadyGo
I have to type between phone calls sorry about messing up the words.

I am really curious about why people care what other consenting adults do in their own bedroom. I also wonder how a marriage between two gay people who love each other invalidates my marriage any more than say, Britney Spears having a 60 hour Vegas marriage. Of course, I wasn't married in a church (courthouse civil ceremony), so maybe my marriage isn't valid anyway.

IMO, the only salvation I have to worry about is my own. It isn't up to any of us to legislate morality for anybody else, especially when those doing the legislating are definitely not above reproach themselves.

Thanks. I have always had gay friends, both male and female. I have grown up around gay folks just my mum did. It is difficult to see a group of people denied the same rights and respect that I myself enjoy.

I know I keep harping on this, but for prop 8 to be defeated in such a resounding manner tells me that the majority of Californians would vote down such a measure no matter what approach to changing the state constitution was used.

80%? I might expect that in Texas, but not Cali...

I'm confused. I think I missed a post somewhere.

I am really curious about why people care what other consenting adults do in their own bedroom. I also wonder how a marriage between two gay people who love each other invalidates my marriage any more than say, Britney Spears having a 60 hour Vegas marriage. Of course, I wasn't married in a church (courthouse civil ceremony), so maybe my marriage isn't valid anyway.

IMO, the only salvation I have to worry about is my own. It isn't up to any of us to legislate morality for anybody else, especially when those doing the legislating are definitely not above reproach themselves.

Thank you Jaime,

and OMG!!! A baby! Congrats, how did I miss that?!?

Keep me updated. I'm excited for you.

Actually, before it was legal, the PEOPLE voted NO to gay marriage, then four judges took the decision away from the PEOPLE. Prop 8 was putting it back where it should be, with citizens voting. Again, the people have spoken, yet gay activists everywhere think their own opinions should outrank the people's opinions. The only way it passed was because it was taken out of the hands of the people and passed on to the government. The only way it will pass again is if Californians allow activists to bypass voters yet again.

Wasn't it voted down because of how it was written something to do with teaching homosexuality to young children, I've heard a variety of things but this is what upset people enough to vote it down. My daughter is a linguistics major and believes the word marriage should not change but if it were called "gay marriage" and made into a compound then she'd be okay with it, lol. I think 2 consenting adults should have the right to marry in the United States of America no matter what color of their skin, ethnicity, religion or sexuality. People do not choose to be gay as I did not choose to be straight. They deserve as many rights as a citizen as I have. Hopefully the Supreme Court of California will overturn it again. One down and many more to go!

Readysg,

I support you am disgusted any time someone brings up religion to put down gay people. I have many gay people close to my heart and will always fight for their rights. I learned a lot about how well gay people can be treated when I took my daughter to visit UMass Amherst and they had a gay/transgendered etc... table set up with a lot of information and their own dorm floors and I realized how differently things are handled state to state. I'm assuming same sex marriage is still legal in Massachusetts but I could have missed something. So take care and you'll always have a backing of peeps here at LBT! Nancy:smile:

Does this mean that all previous gay marriages in California have been set aside and rendered invalid?

It blows my mind that in CA they did this. They did it in Texas and I was very disappointed but not surprised. CA blows my mind... who would've thunk it? Is it the Hispanic and Asian community? They usually are more conservative and traditional when it comes to bedroom politics.

My mother's Korean and I know in the Asian community many still view homosexuals as a personal affront on their values.

I won't pretend to know all the details but someone said something about a campaign started by the Mormon Church.

Plain- The end result in california as I heard it was

52- For prop 8

48- Against prop 8

Like a 400,000 vote difference.

No, you're correct. I was wrong! See below

MacMadame, maybe he was talking about the vote 8 years ago? I know this year it was a pretty close margin.

I was watching the Today show and they kept going on and on about this huge difference in the oppositional votes. Later, I saw on FNC that the results were much closer, so I looked online. Apparently, Today was breaking down the vote demographically and blacks were the group that accounted for the 80% stat. So, yeah, I'm a dumbass. But Today shares some of the blame. I don't even like that show....my wife watches it.

I did have a little trouble believing that stat.....80% was messing with my head.

It blows my mind that in CA they did this. They did it in Texas and I was very disappointed but not surprised. CA blows my mind... who would've thunk it? Is it the Hispanic and Asian community? They usually are more conservative and traditional when it comes to bedroom politics.

My mother's Korean and I know in the Asian community many still view homosexuals as a personal affront on their values.

According to the media up here it was the black vote which supported prop 8. The local comment is that it is ironic and sad that one minority would not support another minority.