Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Brand new here and really angered by...

I would figure that any marriage that is performed by a state official must be a right that should be, if permitted to some, then permitted to all.

It's the "I would figure" part that I am talking about. Unless and until somebody can show somewhere in the Constitution or Bill of Rights or other founding document which states marriage is a right, I will have to respectfully agree to disagree.

Something that is a right is a right for ALL, no? Then that means there can be NO restrictions on marriage at all -- kids, siblings, parent/child, adult/child, etc.

I won't argue points about having sex with animals, children etc..as that is pretty silly to me to compare them with gays having legal marriage in this country and says more about someones ignorance anyway.

I did happen to watch a show the other night that was on HBO. It was a film about Rosie O'Donnell's cruise that she had a few years ago for gay families. Mainly they were gay couples who had children. I'm not sure why most of these parents appeared to be really loving parents but maybe it had to do with the fact that they knew it was more difficult for them to have even gotten that far and being able to have families something some people take for granted.

Anyway there was a couple who had four children the parents were two gay men. They were about to be married on the cruise. They were asked if they were excited about it and they said yes but were surprised more about the effect it had on their kids. Their kids were really excited that they were getting married because they knew that most of their friends parents were married and they wanted their parents married too.

I don't know if I was able to come across with the story as well as I had seen it on the program but it just shows that it's not just the adults who want to marry but it's their children too who find this to be so important in their lives also, Nancy:smile:

Donna- that's true.

But to add to that, the responsibility of living in a society means that the people have to assign values to behaviors. Else, everyone is free to do as their individual "truth" dictates. I believe relativism should be applied on an individual level, which dictates we determine what is true for ourselves. But on a societal level it would never function. So the question is, how does a society dictate what they believe their "truths" to be? Is it done by vote? By judges? By a ruler? By a previously stated document? I'm not being facetious about this, I'm really curious about everyone's thoughts.

Relativism is a theory but in practical terms, most of us practice it whether we realize it or not. My post wasn't intended to help reinforce arguments from either side as it could have been used equally by both sides. Some consider relativism of societal mores to be evil and use it to propound the theory that if you allow societal mores to be eroded by libertarian ideals, society itself would be eroded and we would revert to a "survival of the fittest" race. In this instance the far right and the far left probably would both fight against relativism.

It's the "I would figure" part that I am talking about. Unless and until somebody can show somewhere in the Constitution or Bill of Rights or other founding document which states marriage is a right, I will have to respectfully agree to disagree.

Something that is a right is a right for ALL, no? Then that means there can be NO restrictions on marriage at all -- kids, siblings, parent/child, adult/child, etc.

Reasons have already been posted as to why kids do not have the same legal rights as adults. As for marriage between sibs or any close relatives, there are genetic and psychological reasons why this is a bad idea.

Reasons have already been posted as to why kids do not have the same legal rights as adults. As for marriage between sibs or any close relatives, there are genetic and psychological reasons why this is a bad idea.

I understand that. However, what I'm saying is when somebody says marriage is a "right," it means that it is a "right" for all people. Why should society care if genetics play a part in sibs or close relatives marrying? You see what I mean?

I understand that. However, what I'm saying is when somebody says marriage is a "right," it means that it is a "right" for all people. Why should society care if genetics play a part in sibs or close relatives marrying? You see what I mean?

Voting is a right...we don't let children or goats vote.

Why don't we let children vote? The same reason we don't let children marry right? Because they are not adults.

Voting is a right...we don't let children or goats vote.

Why don't we let children vote? The same reason we don't let children marry right? Because they are not adults.

In most states, minors are allowed to marry so long as their guardians give consent. The ages vary from 14 and up. I don't understand how this law can co-exist with statutory rape laws.

RSG - Girl you know I luv ya. I'm unsubscribing. I can't deal with the folks that think b/c God put them on this earth as a hetero, they should be allowed to marry while you should not. As I have said numerous times, I don't understand why anyone even gives a good damn. Butt out of other people's business!!! Sheesh...quit borrowing others' problems and deal with your own.

Anyway, RSG, please keep fighting the good fight! I just can't continue to read this judgmental crap. Catch you on other threads, Ready. I heart u!

Edited by SickNTired

Heart you back. I should really get myself out of this thread too. If I exercised as much as I played on the internet I would be a size six by now.

Hey Donna. Do they both have to be minors for that to work? I don't know. That seems kind of creepy if it doesn't...with the whole consent thing. Like a dad telling someone is own age. I like you, here...take my daughter, I don't need her anymore.

If a 26 year old was sleeping with a fourteen year old with the fourteen year old parents permission, would it still be a crime? I hope so.

RSG: "If I exercised as much as I played on the internet I would be a size six by now."

HYSTERICAL!!!!!! Me too, sugah, me too.....

Somebody did show you, a few page back, though.

Something that is a right is a right for ALL, no?

No. :Dancing_sorry: