Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am stalking my Fill doctor

My plan is to leave home at 6:30am on Monday and be there at 8am when he opens his office. This fill SUCKS!!!!

I'll give you all the scoop later, life calls (you know, dinner that everyone can eat BUT ME!!!!!!). I'm so tight. I can only sip, sip, sip liquids and should be well back into mushies and soft foods. I feel like post-op without the pain, almost, my port is surprisingly sore from the fill! Anyhow, venting...Any advice? Had my fill last Wed the 6th. This is Sat the 9th. I'm stuck and/or PBing anything that isn't a small sip of liquid. SIGH

Thanks jayme! Yep, my goal was to make it through the day without PBing and so far, so good. I had a few sips of coffee this morning. I know, too acidic, but I took a chewable Pepcid Complete and the coffee cuts the morning phlegm that is just as irritating so it's worth a few sips. Really, I sipped maybe a 1/4 of a mug, 2 ounces? I also sipped some Crystal light on the way to church. At lunch, I ordered potato Soup. As the liquid part dwindled and all I had left was mostly potato chunks, I got stuck, but quit eating and walked around and got unstuck with no problems. Then I ate a scoop of ice cream, yummy!!! Went down fine. So, I'm getting by. I'll have Boost for dinner and try to get the rest of this 20ounce bottle of Water down, but really, I'd be happy if I got down 1/2 of it by bedtime.

I decided not to leave at 6:30 in the morning. My hubby said, what if he's not in the office that day? hmmm, guess I'll call first at 8am and make sure before I drive an hour and a half!

So on day 4 after a fill, I'm sure I should be able to eat some guacamole, some thinned out refrieds, some cottage cheese, right? I can't, so unfill, here I come!!!

I promise to get a Boost in for supper. :)

Kathy, Im sorry to hear you are going through this, It sucks! But you are being a very responsible bandster and going in to have some fill removed. I hope once you get some removed you get relief. How much fill did he give you? What is your current fill level? Maybe if he backs it down .2 cc's you will still have good restriction but yet still be able to eat and lose weight. It is amazing that such a little ammount removed can make such a huge difference in comfort and still have restriction. Let us know how it goes tomorrow :)

Good Luck

Kathy I'm sorry you are still having trouble with that fill. Sounds like its the best thing to get some taken out though. Let us know how it goes.

Melissa

Thanks Michelle! He put in a full 2cc in my 4cc band. I told him I was more concerned with too much fill then with not enough. But he usually puts in 2cc for the first fill. Some of the saline goes into the tubing and port reservior so not ALL of that is in my band, made sense to me but, yep, it's too tight. I don't know how much he will suggest taking out, but I hope it's at least a full 1cc. That would put me at a 1cc fill. You can't compare numbers with others, but I think that may just do it? We'll see, I'll let you know!

OH! and he hit my port on the first try (his nurse said he can hit Kuri's ports from across the room, a good compliment for Kuri!) and he tried to draw out something and nothing was there, which is how it was supposed to be. I was relieved about that. So 2cc is how much I have.

AND I was 201.4 this morning! wahoo!! SO close to Onederland! But it's a bit of a hollow victory, I have eaten so little these last days. I might gain a little bit back but I don't care! What I lost was ill-gotten to begin with!

You know, as sensitive as your tummy was right after surgery, Im suprised that he went as far as giving you 2cc's for your first fill. geez! Michelle's right, you are wise thinking for acting so soon.

Are the fills/unfills costing you anything?

Hey Kathy...I got 2cc on my first fill also and i was also very tight for the first week...it got better though and now i am fine with great restriction on the first try...can you get in some mushies at all??...i remember calling the doctor and she told me this was what restriction felt like...i could eat but very little..and it got better with time.

Kathy, been there done that. You are doing the right thing. It was a hollow victory for me too to get down to 181 & yes I did gain 5 lbs. till I was filled again (at .2cc's less this time). But it will come right off again, especially as you will probably be on liquids for a couple/few days after your unfill. You need to give everything a rest!

Kathy -- I'm in the same boat...except I'm going on 4 weeks, not 4 days. I had an appointment for an unfill last week and cancelled it because I was feeling better. What I finally realized is I'm okay in the morning and then at about 1 p.m., everything just closes up. And the reflux has been like nothing I've ever had. So, while you're stalking your fill doc tomorrow, please think of me -- stalking mine. I decided if mine wasn't in, I'd call around town until I found one who was. And, if that doesn't work, I'm heading to ER where hopefully they can unload me. I want ALL my fill removed so I can a. get a good night's sleep b. eat three meals a day c. rest the pouch, stoma, stomach, everything d. hope and pray I haven't had a second slip. I had 2 cc's in June for my first fill after the band was re-positioned in March from the slip. They took out .02 cc's after a few days. Obviously it wasn't enough. And I don't want to go back for a third unfill. I'd rather take it all out, wait four to six weeks and try again. Good luck to both of us. I'll be thinking of you and hoping the Dr. is "IN."

Elizabeth

8-28-03

Paula- I don't know yet about the cost. I'm assuming an unfill before the week is out is "on him" but, who knows? I wouldn't be offended to pay a $50-60 office visit fee but a whole 'nuther $200? I hope not!

Sherri- I can't even get mushies down, only liquids. This is PAST good restriction! I was hoping to be a trooper over the weekend, suck it up, get through but each time I would try the smallest amount of mushie anything, I'd get stuck at the very least or PB it.

Karen- I don't care if I gain some back!! LOL So, did you get a complete unfill and then go back and fill again at .2cc less? Which leads me to...

Elizabeth-we are so desperate! I don't really have reflux, believe it or not. My misery is my inability to eat anything at all. I don't mind being on liquids, but I know I should be able to get SOME mushies down without getting stuck. I was very hungry by dinner tonight and made a vain attempt at guacamole. PB'd it. Thankfully, PB's aren't like vomit, and it hasn't ruined the whole guacamole experience for me. I'll be able to eat it again in the future, no doubt. I worry about a slip with my PB weekend. I worry that I should get a complete unfill and be back at square one. What I'd love to do is just take out half the fill, stay on liquids for a few days to rest, then see how it goes with mushies. Whaddya think? Karen? Anyone? I'll be curious what my fill doc recommends.

Let us know how it goes for you, too, Elizabeth! Calling Doc first thing in the morning!! Thanks ALL!

you mean your follow up care/fills arent included in your total fees you paid...? Wow. I didnt know Dr's did that. The one I am planning on going to hist total for self pay is 16950 and 1 yr of follow ups/fills etc...

But back on track, I hope everything works out good for you. Stalk him! ha ha, nah I hope he is there to help you.

WOW_ Kathy!!! Not fun at all- huh :0( So I must say even though I know you can't compare fills to other bandster- it makes me not ever want one-LOL LOL I mean you have had a tough time with yours & they seem to have gone very statis quo. I am very curious as to how much he takes out & how well you feel right after & if you still have restriction & all that stuff. Post has soon as your able. Please get your Protein in. God Bless Kathy!

I hope you are able to get your unfill of at least any points less than you already have Kathy.. Good Luck