Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

DSL vs Cable

Thanks Paula, just doin' my job, mam.

The difference between dial-up and DSL is sort of like... the difference between walking and jet powered rocket skates that are turbo charged.

My apartment in ID can't get anysort of high speed connection. I'm in an old converted motel with non-standard wiring. Dial-up is painfully slow and I hate it. Sure, it is better than a sharp stick in the eye, but not by much.

I have Cable and it is not the party line connection it used to be. I also have a firewall built into the system. LOVE LOVE my Cable connection. I hate it when it goes out sometimes and have to resort to dial up. ARGH!!!!!!

It hasn't gone out in oh say 6 months. When I say goes out I mean they are upgrading or working on the lines. Doesn't happen too often. And it is momentary. Would not change back to dial up for all the money in the world. Too slow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I absolutely LOVE my cable connection. I have only had the cable go out when the weather was so bad that the power went out too.The winds here blow like the dickens. They can get over 100 mph at times. AHH the joy of living at the foot of a tall mountain range. we had over 6 feet of snow at one time this last winter and our cable was working when our phone lines went down.( figure that one out.)

I used to have dial up (back in the dark ages) then upgraded to cable. I have 3 Mg speed and I LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT! I wouldnt go back to dial up even if you shoved a stick in my eye.:dead

My Cable modem is a router with a fire wall on it. And then I have another router in front of that for my network that also has a firewall. My boyfriend handles all that stuff, but what I know for the most part is that I'm safe, lol.

The difference between dial-up and DSL is sort of like... the difference between walking and jet powered rocket skates that are turbo charged.

LMBO! How right you are.

Mary, we just got DSL. Until then it was dial-up. Crystal does have a point about the differences in the two. UNBELIEVABLE!

Okay, I'll have to check the prices on DSL, then. Doesn't sound like the cable is an option since we arent' hooked up to a cable company, even though we are pre-wired. I think this also means I will have to give/change up my e-mail address since I'll drop my internet company? Is this right? Don't I have to go with the online company that provides the connection? I'm so lost. Right now I pay 14.95/month for Wave3online.com and they send my e-mails. I use Internet Explorer to get online, but I guess that's through them, too? So much to consider!!! I wish I understood how this worked...I just know I could get things much faster than with Dial-up, and I don't have to tie up my telephone line...

I have run the entire course. I started with Dial up. Then went to a "higher speed dial up". Then I went to DSL. Then I went to cable. I WOULD NEVER HAVE ANYTHING BUT CABLE EVER AGAIN. SOOOO FAST. I am spoiled now.

Hah! I had access to a T3 line for on one job, oh mama! But I also had a dual proc box too...

Kathy, Internet Explorer, IE is part of your operating system, and doesn't have anything thing to do with your ISP. You will probably have to change your e-mail address, but your current provider/new provider should provide a forwarding service for a while.

ok if I go with Cable then I drop MSN?? Not sure how this is working?? Just call me clueless. And since I subscribe to a Security company do I still need a firewall??

I don't know about your MSN question. Some outfits provide the conectivity, but not access (sort of like chosing a long distance carrier), and some places provide both conectivity and access.

And since I dont' have the particulars about the subscription to a Security company, I can't help you there either.

Just call me the queen of no help today!

Mary,

Im gonna give this one a shot.... MSN is like yahoo. regardless of your internet provider, you will still be able to access MSN. Ive had MSN as my homepage for years and changed dial up providers twice AND switched to this DSL crap - and still have MSN as a homepage. Is this any help?

like Crystal, I have no idea aout the security comp. Youre one up on us with that stuff.

I asked TONS of questions to my cable company - they were VERY imformative and helpful (of coarse - they want my business) so Mary, try calling your local cable comp and ask these questions. Let us know what thy tell you. :)

Thanks Paula I will give it a shot.. See what kind of deal they are willing to give me..

I will also ask our IT Dept here and get the scoop on what they think about both..

What kind of service does that security company provide?

MSN does have an internet service, kind of like AOL. If you got Cable or DSL, you wouldn't need that anymore, but I'm pretty sure you could still use it, kind of like "AOL for Broadband". But in my opinion if you have cable or DSL, those things are just in the way of the 'real internet', but I know that they have lots of features that people like.

If you are just talking about MSN.com, then you can use that no matter what your ISP is. :)

Mary,

Im gonna give this one a shot.... MSN is like yahoo. regardless of your internet provider, you will still be able to access MSN. Ive had MSN as my homepage for years and changed dial up providers twice AND switched to this DSL crap - and still have MSN as a homepage.

You definately can still use MSN. I kept my same password too, just had to put a 1 on the end of it.

Okay Betty, now you have to change your password. And no, you can't make it "harleys1" again.

There are two different flavors of MSN, one is the MSN.com portal and one is an ISP. Confusing because two differnt products have the same name. The ISP is refered to internally as MSN IA for Internet Access.