Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Emergency Lap Band Removal while pregnant

I am happy to share my story and any feedback would be great. I had the lap band placed August 2006. Within one year I had lost 100 pounds. In Feb 2008 my husband and I decided we wanted to try and have a baby. I went to see my lap band doctor who said I was good to go. I did not have any blood work done at that time. I was pregnant my the end of March. Starting in July I started having acid reflux issues and talk to my doctor about this issue and he thought I may have a band slippage, he told me to eat soft foods and drink ensure for the remainder of my pregnancy and then after the baby was born we would look at removing and replacing the band. Well the weekend of Septmember 27th I had my baby shower and I was having a hard time even getting liquids down. On the 29th I tried to drink a little milk and it came out my nose. At this point I called my doctor and he told me I had a complete obstruction and I needed to head down to the hospital in the mean time he got on the phone with my OB doctor about assisting in the surgery since I was 8 1/2 months pregnant. This whole ordeal left me in the hospital for 8 days. My baby did not have to be delivered early, but because I was so dehydrated they hydrated me so much before surgery I ended up in ICU with Fluid in my lungs, and that started pre-term labor. Once my labor was stablized I was very ill upon doing some blood work they found out that my "albutin protien" level was dangerously. It was an 11. They started me on an artifical nuttution called TPN, which is what they give burn victims, cancer patients, and people that are severaly malnutiorned. I am not on my road to recovery 36 weeks pregnant. My baby is small and hopefully he will be born healthy. My lesson learned was that if I would have had the blood work and tested my Protein level before getting pregnant then maybe this would not have happened. I have gained 7 pounds which at this time I am not worried about because I need to put on the weight for the baby. However, I am really nervous to continue on without the band after the baby is born.

I'm not yet banded but I felt that I had to read this! I'm very sorry you are having to go through all of this. I think I would be scared to go on after the baby as well. Maybe just see how you feel afterwords you know. As for the baby s/he will be ok just have faith hun, I know its scary. I ended up going preterm at 32wks and had my twins at 34wks. They were tinyyyy,however strong lil girls. 3lbs 15oz and 3lbs 8oz and thankfully only had to spend a month in the NICU as grower/feeders other than that perfectly healthy. I hope you can find some comfort in that, for the lapband stuff i dont know im sorry. I'll pray for you~ Get well soon!!

Thanks so much. It is a boy. If I understand correctly you have not had the band, but you are thinking about it? Your picture looks great.

Hi Everyone, i just wanted to respond to LauraM's post re: emergency removal. I'm currently 25 wks pregnant and have a band slippage for the second time. I'll be heading to hospital tomorrow to have it removed. LauraM did they remove it the same way it was put on?I had my 1st band put on Mid 2004 and replaced in Mid 06, no more banding for me, especially after putting my 1st baby at risk. I cant even hold down liquids. :(

The original plan was to try and make one incision and get it out that way to reduce the risk to the baby. However, because everything was so swollen they ended up pretty much taking it out like they put it in. I had 6 incisions. I actaully go see him today to have a check up. I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the reply lauram. I ended up having mine removed 2 days ago. Baby and i are ok. I had the same amount of cuts as when I had it put on. so glad it's all over!

I am glad your surgery went well. I am probably going to end up having a c-section the doctor does not think it would be a good idea to put the baby through the stress of a vaginal delivery. At this point my belly looks likes a world map anyways so I am not really worried about scaring I am a little worried about another recovery from surgery. I have a stress test on Wednesday I am hoping to wait until the 24th but we will wait and see what the stress test says. As of the 12th I was dilated to 2 and 60% effaced so we will see if I can go that long.