Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This is my first time on any sort of forum so I'm a total newbie! I'm having my op on Saturday 25 October and i wanted to know what to expect as far as post op discomfort goes. I intend on going to work the next day - am I being optomistic?:biggrin:

I spent the next day flying home, crossed the border, that took hours, then waited 3 hours for my flight, then a crowded flight, then I had to find my car, had trouble finding the shuttle, and stopped by the grocery store on the way home about 10 pm to buy some broth.

I had surgery late the day before. I think that was pushing it, I was really really tired by the time I made it home. Depends on your job how tired you will feel. I would say its optimistic to work the rest of the week for 8 hours a day, you are going to be tired. I also had a little bit of gas, but not too bad and it hurt to bend over and tie my shoes.

There is NO WAY you should go to work the next day. Period. Anesthesia takes up to 48 hours to clear your system. Could you work drunk or stoned? If the answer is NO, then you shouldn't work w/anesthesia still charging around in there.

Good grief take a few days off!

I know a lot of people say they are able to work the next day but I personally wasn't ready. I had my surgery on a Friday morning and (I am a student) only attended four hours of class on Monday. Your body feels tired and I personally was most comfortable sleeping sitting up, so I slept on my sofa. I am not sure if it was because of the sofa or what but I didn't feel as rested when I would wake up in the morning. I also experienced alot of gas pressure so I was walking around alot. I know everyone's experience is different but I would really reccommend waiting a day or two.

Good luck with surgery and enjoy the weight loss!!!

Hello Gouna Gal:

How exciting that you will be banded next week! Although I have not been banded yet, I have had 10 surgeries in my life, so I know a little bit about recovery. I recognize every person's recovery time is different and totally dependent upon the procedure and health, but I would recommend you give your body time to heal. Going back to work the day after surgery really does not give your body the recovery time it needs. :biggrin:

Take care,

Terry

I agree with TQUAD64. You need to give your body time to recuperate or your healing time could be longer. I've had multiple surgeries, also, and I can tell you when I went to fast it longer to heal. Take your time and talk to your doc, see what he thinks. Personally, I would wait.

i just got banded on friday, and there is no way possible i would go to work the next day, nor on monday. There is too much pain when twisting, plus some of the drugs they put you on, you can not go back to work. (let alone drive) The anestisia does take 48 hours to get out of your system, plus the amount of how tired you are, and the lack of breathe you will have too. The first day, i couldn't breathe more than 250 ml of air, now i am up to 750, before surgury i was doing 1700-2300 ml of just air. There was no walk and talk, dizzy, no nausia though. (oh yes there was, but once i sat i was fine)

This is my first time on any sort of forum so I'm a total newbie! I'm having my op on Saturday 25 October and i wanted to know what to expect as far as post op discomfort goes. I intend on going to work the next day - am I being optomistic?:biggrin:

Please dont go to work! You have to realize that regardless of how good you feel, you have had major surgery moving your organs around. Stay home, relax, heal, adjust. Why such a rush to get back to work? Do you want to go back to the hospital if anything happens? Dont do it. Besides, I just had my surgery on Oct 16th. Its now Sunday night. I'm still sore getting up, bending, etc. I cant even imagine putting on any type of clothing right now that doesnt have elastic and plenty of room so that it doesnt rub against my incisions. I took next week off. I need to rest, re-group, and heal. You should do the same!

My doctor told me to take a week off. So I plan on taking the week off - and if I'm able to be up and about - then I will try to do household chores while I'm hanging around at home.

I was banded on a Tuesday, and took the rest of the week off... the next week I did a half day on Monday and worked later each day.. I felt very tired. However.. painwise... very uncomfortable from wind, slept best half sitting up with a pillow under my knees, no particular op pain, but some port pain, decided that was the excess size around that area that when I turned over actually pulled on the area of the port. Port stuck out for about 2-3 weeks, and slowly subsided and is no longer visible. Wind was the worst.. very very uncomfortable. It was about 3 weeks after the op that people at work said - you have turned the corner... I was very active the whole time and moved about a lot. Did no heavy housework or anything like that and enjoyed taking things easy. Was driving Ok the next day. Only took a soluable painkiller once... apart from that all was OK. took we about 8 weeks before I could sleep fairly comfortable on my tummy.. the only real pain was the dragging sensation on the port area as i said when I turned over. Hope that helps.... and Good Luck! Trish